ADVERTISEMENT

Former USF Coach Jim Leavitt on the radar as new UCF HC

Boston.Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 10, 2002
Reliable source is confirming Jim Leavitt is on UCF's radar. Welcome to the interview process Coach Leavitt!

Hope to see our friends from USF rivals comment on this thread. [banana]

Reactions: pontelk
giphy.gif

He would probably be a better Head Coach his 2nd go at it bc of the experience of working under Harbaugh.

His name is being thrown out as a Miami candidate and possibly Kansas State if Snyder retires.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
He would probably be a better Head Coach his 2nd go at it bc of the experience of working under Harbaugh.

His name is being thrown out as a Miami candidate and possibly Kansas State if Snyder retires.

He won plenty of games with a start up program. It is much tougher than most understand. Most of the time out of a trailer on campus.

Reactions: baselinetom
I find it hard to believe that we'd go after somebody who has a history of putting his hands on players (with our previous scandals, such as Plancher) and recruiting high academic risk kids (with how GOL has given the university positive cred with some of the highest academic success in the country for his kids).

Reactions: Boston.Knight
I find it hard to believe that we'd go after somebody who has a history of putting his hands on players (with our previous scandals, such as Plancher) and recruiting high academic risk kids (with how GOL has given the university positive cred with some of the highest academic success in the country for his kids).

Wasn't that only once? If that was a 1 time thing, just have a contract clause for termination. As far as at risk kids, can't we have a middle ground? We don't need a team full of engineering and medical students but we don't need to start a prison league either.

Reactions: baselinetom
Wasn't that only once? If that was a 1 time thing, just have a contract clause for termination. As far as at risk kids, can't we have a middle ground? We don't need a team full of engineering and medical students but we don't need to start a prison league either.

Yep ill accept a contract clause too.

Just a thought...I'm from the TB area..(this is my first post guys, so go easy on me)...I have watched UCF for years but, didn't become a total Knights fan till my daughter chose UCF over several other Florida Schools this year..So, I am all in with UCF....I have watched Jim Leavitt since his 1st season with USF...what he did with that young program has never been done before.( #2 in the nation)...okay, he does get pretty excited, and he should have apologized for grabbing that whinny ass kid by the throat...I get that..but, this guy was University of Alabama's 1st choice over Nick Saban ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Leavitt ) (and he turned it down to stay at USF....hind sight is 20/20)...my point is..This guy is the real deal..an excellent coach and recruiter...and I have to believe he has learned a few things from the USF incident...I wouldn't be so quick to disregard this guy.... (if he is even interested?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Boston.Knight
Just a thought...I'm from the TB area..(this is my first post guys, so go easy on me)...I didn't become a Knights fan till my daughter chose UCF over several other Florida Schools this year..So, I am all in with UCF....I have watched Jim Leavitt since his 1st season with USF...what he did with that young program has never been done before.( #2 in the nation)...okay, he does get pretty excited, and he should have apologized for grabbing that whinny ass kid by the throat...I get that..but, this guy was University of Alabama's 1st choice over Nick Saban ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Leavitt ) (and he turned it down to stay at USF....hind sight is 20/20)...my point is..This guy is the real deal..an excellent coach and recruiter...and I have to believe he has learned a few things from the USF incident...I wouldn't be so quick to disregard this guy.... (if he is even interested?)

Definitely the real deal. We have to stay out of trouble on multiple fronts. I believe we are still on probation until 2017. Plus with the Plancher case, we don't need an out of control coach. Honestly I think he would be fine. Just have a contract clause if he gets into player troubles.

Thought the guy was a jack@ss on the field but he is an exciteable guy. Honestly, I've never watched any of his post-game interviews to get a bead on him. He took a year off after he got canned and then has been coaching in the NFL under Harbaugh. That had to be good experience. Staff got booted so he took a gig as DC at Colorado. Hard to assess anything about a coach in his first season somewhere. That program has been a train wreck for a while as well. I say bring in a good amount of guys to interview and pick the best. If he's included in thst group so be it.

ADVERTISEMENT