ADVERTISEMENT

***RB Myles Montgomery ready to shine at UCF ⚔️🏈

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

Myles Montgomery is back home in the Sunshine State.

After three years at Cincinnati, the Jacksonville native has transferred to UCF where he will join forces with RJ Harvey in the Knights' rushing attack.

Montgomery was the Bearcats' No. 2 running back last season, rushing for 428 yards and three touchdowns. His best game was a 103-yard performance vs. Baylor.

He committed not long after his early December visit.

"Ultimately, UCF was the best place for me," Montgomery said. "I tried to give every school an equal amount of attention. But being back home, playing in my home state, there's no better feeling."

Playing for UCF running backs coach Kam Martin was also a big draw.

"He made me want to come here even more," Montgomery said. "He's not that much older than me. It's easy to relate to him. He's not like a coach that says, 'Do what I tell you to do' type of thing. That's my dawg. He's like my brother. I'd do anything for him. It's great being able to relate to your position coach."

Montgomery is among a trio of Cincinnati players who made the intra-conference transfer to UCF. Joining him in Orlando are Deshawn Pace and Bryon Threats, who were two of the Bearcats' best defensive players. Both are from Ohio.

"They liked the Florida weather," Montgomery said. "They love it. I already knew what to expect. Them coming down here, seeing the weather and facilities, all the nice coaches, I'm sure that aided them in coming here."

UCF and Cincinnati have developed a rivalry these past few years. The Knights had been the kings of the American from 2017-18 until Cincinnati dethroned them, first winning the East Division in 2019 before becoming the outright conference champions in 2020 and 2021 (and beating UCF each of those years).

UCF has now won two in a row against the Bearcats, their final AAC meeting in 2022 as well this past season's first matchup as Big 12 members.

k1matw0ophqdhnnnmsvk

How did Cincinnati view UCF?

"It depends on what school you're asking," Montgomery said. "If you're asking Cincinnati, it's nowhere near as big as the Miami-Ohio rivalry, but it's a game on the schedule you circle. You ask some people here and they're like, 'We don't know why it's a rivalry.' It depends on who you ask."

Though it was prior to his arrival in 2021, Montgomery was familiar with the 2019 game in Cincinnati in which Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner had a pick-six.

One of the more memorable UCF-UC games he was involved in was the 2022 game in Orlando, a 25-21 Knights win.

"That game was crazy," Montgomery said. "We scored that late touchdown, 'Oh, we're gonna win!' and then RJ Harvey had a walk-off touchdown."

Now teammates, Montgomery is eager to work alongside Harvey.

"RJ is a great dude," Montgomery said. "I cannot wait to be a sponge and soak up everything he knows. He's going to get tired of me asking so many questions. I cannot wait. I'm so ready."

What kind of running back is he?

"Obviously I've got speed," Montgomery said. "I try to model my game after Isiah Pacheco and Marshawn Lynch. Running hard with how fast I am, nobody wants to tackle that over and over. Nobody wants to tackle that for four quarters in a game. That's what's gotten me this far."

As for goals, Montgomery said he just wants to do his best.

"I'm really optimistic about this season," he said. "Nobody is going to stop us but us. Once we get all this football stuff rolling, the sky is the limit for us."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News