ADVERTISEMENT

The Hoops Report - West Virginia Tech (Exhibition)

Hoops McKnight*

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2001
1. VERY short-handed game. The glass-half-full says that at least the FR got quality PT.

2. But I really don’t get this “violation of team rules” thing. If you’re playing at this level you’ve played organized ball for at least half your life, and worked your ass off 4-6 hours a day, 7 days a week for 12 months a year, all for the chance to get 20 minutes per game (at best) at the D-I level. And you give up at least a game’s worth those minutes for stuff known to be against the rules (and I’d do my usual blanking of the offender’s jersey number to accentuate the offense, but there are just too damn many of them). And they’re the leaders of this team - just damn…

3. Keith Clanton, phenomenal iron-man game! 28 points, and a double-double - at the half! Throw in blocks, assists, leading the break after a defensive rebound and the prettiest turn-around jumper off the pick. And by what method DIDN’T he score? And 37 minutes by my count!

4. Lynn University’s women’s team at Applebee’s tonight, prior to tomorrow’s UCF exhibition. Fun and class group!

5. Bigger crowd than I expected. Not Memphis game excited, but maybe 3K. And a respectfully West Virginia Tech contingent, which also surprised me.

6. The first thing that brought the crowd to its feet was Rod Days blocking a WVT breakaway dunk! He probably played the best of the new FR, but he’s got the flattest jump shot since Inyoe Cue. On the other hand, the trajectory of Larry Gowin’s jump shot was down.

7. Looks like the Isaiah Sykes at PG experiment will have to exist for at least several games this season. He played well and became a scoring presence in the 2nd half (18 total). Looked to me that he was dribbling the ball too far forward in front of his body in the half-court set - pick-off potential against better teams. He (along with Tristan) had to have the trainers stretch his leg during TO’s, cramps IMO.

8. Down 14-12 with 10 minutes to go in the first half, we go on a 14-0 run. That lead would be reduced to 5 a couple of times later, but that was as close as they would ever get.

9. Unlike the basketball team, Knight Moves was at a full 16-strong at half-time, wearing sparkly black half-tops (the TOP half, CK!). This year’s squad is particularly nimble, and gave perhaps their most energetic performance ever. There was some other group in the background that attempted to usurp their performance ? but they failed.

10. Problems - gotta work on in-bounds plays & FTs!

11. Jermaine was at the game, as well as a member of FTU’s first roster, Skip Repass. Skip’s youngest brother is the Commanding General of Army Special Forces.

12. Tristan started slow, but ended with 16 points. Lots of potential.

13. The 2-block of the campus surrounding The Arena was hoppin’! Game over at 7:00, just as the soccer game began. And just as the 8:00 Kansas concert crowd at The Venue was arriving. And yet the exit from Garage F was smooth ? has Traffic Control become effic…

even with a depleted roster, should have beat this team by 20+...they dont have a guy over 6'8" and were supposed to be the better team by a long shot. This team will get smoked when a team with length is on schedule.

Originally posted by pittstoner74:
even with a depleted roster, should have beat this team by 20+...they dont have a guy over 6'8" and were supposed to be the better team by a long shot. This team will get smoked when a team with length is on schedule.

roll.gif

Don't think anyone suggested that the UCF "Team" played well last night or how UCF would easily beat any team with "length" this season...but thanks for trying to imply that.

Certainly look forward to all your posts during this season.
wink.gif

I thought Clanton looked really good and he seems to have gotten quite a bit bigger. Other than that I didn't think anyone else looked very impressive. Spurlock and Days were standing around too much just looking to shoot threes. Spurlock was able to be disruptive on the defensive side of the ball though with his length. Days looks like he could be something I. The future but seems to need more strength and conditioning. I really hope Crittles provides some kind of inside presence because McCombs doesn't look any better than last year.

Overall not much you can take from an exhibition game where 5 players are held out, but would have liked to see our length and athleticism be harder for them to handle than it seemed to be.

Originally posted by KnightsFan99:
I thought Clanton looked really good and he seems to have gotten quite a bit bigger.

Hard to really tell in an exhibition game where Clanton was one of the biggest players on the court (which won't happen too often this year) is that Clanton seemed QUICKER..either decisions down low or deciding to put up a 3, etc...

Hopefully, Clanton will get some scoring help besides Marcus this year...because if others can become a scoring threat (Spurlock, Days, even Sykes driving to the hoop, Gaynor continues to improve, etc...), it should free up Clanton's game as well.

people have implied that this team will be better than last. They cite the 16th best recruiting class and the transfers. But the recruiting class isnt really good without Ware and Chandler. Days will be good , but the others wont contribute right away.
Furthermore when i say length is a concern, most people say that wont matter because of the uptempo style we will be running. In the end, it will matter. CBI again this year.

people have implied that this team will be better than last. They cite the 16th best recruiting class and the transfers. But the recruiting class isnt really good without Ware and Chandler.

What people?

I do think UCF will most likely improve on their 6-10 conf record from last year...but I don't think many are saying UCF will go 14-2 in CUSA Play.

Every UCF fan knows that the premature high ranking was due to Chandler and Ware (2 players not enrolled at UCF) and I haven't seen any UCF "brag" about the 16th rated class since neither of them enrolled.

Depending on the suspensions, etc...this team getting into a post-season tourn..regardless what it is...will still be considered a good season.

CUSA won't be easy...as 2 games vs Memphis, UAB, Marshall, Southern Miss and an improved ECU (who swept all 3 games vs UCF last year) will provide a interesting test to this year's team.

Hopefully Chandler makes it in for next year to go along with the two big guys that have committed to this class. That would at least give us some size to rotate in next year with Clanton. How effective Crittles can be is going to go a very long ways in how successful this year will be because McCombs did not look any better in the exhibition game than he did last year and he is terribly limited. Having Spurlock and Sykes rebounding from the wing positions should help some in the rebounding department to make up for the lack of a true center.

NIT at a minimum , but I prefer even a 1 and done in NCAA Tourney. Some Fans on the UCF Nation Facebook page, including a mom of one of the freshman( Kasey Wilson), think this team is way better and way more athletic than last years. I just beg to differ.

NIT at a minimum , but I prefer even a 1 and done in NCAA Tourney. Some Fans on the UCF Nation Facebook page, including a mom of one of the freshman( Kasey Wilson), think this team is way better and way more athletic than last years. I just beg to differ.

roll.gif

So a Mom of a UCF player thinks the team will be good (better than last year's 6-10 conf record) this year upsets you??
laugh.gif

Hope you put her in her place....because what a drag it would be for fans to have HOPE!
This post was edited on 11/8 5:17 PM by Knight_Light

she didnt acyually mention the conference record, and thats not what i was referring to for being a better team. I dont care if we go 1-9 in conference during regular year but run the table in postseason to go to the NCAA Tourney. NCAA tourney or pretty much isnt worth talking about.Have as much hope as u want right now, wont last long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT