ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy to UDub to UCF: Ethan Barr’s unique journey: 3 months, 3 programs and a trip to the College Football Playoff

brahmanknight

Sep 5, 2007
Winter Park

IMG_1711-scaled-e1706832989305-1024x682.jpg

On Thanksgiving weekend, Ethan Barr played in the final game of his four-year career at Vanderbilt, recording seven tackles in a 48-24 loss at Tennessee to wrap up a 2-10 season with the Commodores.

Six weeks later, the linebacker from Flower Mound, Texas, was on the sidelines at NRG Stadium in Houston wearing a Washington Huskies jersey as a member (sort of) of a team playing for a national championship.

Now, one month later, Barr is enrolled at UCF and preparing for spring football with the Knights.

“I’d say it’s been … I don’t really know a word besides just, crazy, honestly,” Barr said of his last two months. “I’m really happy it happened, but it was a little stressful, I would say. It was tough.”

Barr’s odyssey began in early December when he announced his decision to transfer to Washington for his final season of eligibility. He arrived in Seattle on Dec. 31 and began the process of getting acclimated to his new school.

“I was just super excited about what was to come with the coaching staff and that team,” Barr said. “And everything that Washington has to offer.”

Two days after returning from the national championship game, Barr was in the middle of a nutrition meeting when he received the stunning news: Washington coach Kalen DeBoer was being discussed as a candidate for the Alabama job. Reports on social media indicated he could soon be on the move.

“I was like, ‘Are you kidding? You’re kidding.’ It seemed like a joke,” Barr said. “I couldn’t believe it.”

DeBoer ultimately did take the Alabama job, explaining his decision in an emotional team meeting. Barr started to weigh his options after DeBoer didn’t say anything to him about following the coaches to Alabama. He could stay at Washington under a new coaching staff and take a gamble on how it might shake out or he could jump back into the transfer portal despite having just unpacked his clothes in Seattle two weeks earlier.

He picked the latter — and in the last few weeks made his way to the opposite side of the country with his fiancee, Delaney, and 16-week-old puppy after committing to UCF on Jan. 19 to cap off a wild two-month span.

Barr first entered the portal in late November after four seasons at Vanderbilt, where he registered 219 tackles, including a career-high 85 tackles in 2021. A semifinalist for the 2023 William V. Campbell Trophy — often referred to as the “Academic Heisman” — Barr said he loved his time with the Commodores and that playing there was among the best decisions he’d ever made. But with one year of eligibility remaining, he felt ready for a new challenge.

When he initially entered the portal, Cincinnati, Baylor, Houston, Washington and UCF all reached out with quick offers. But Barr took just two visits, to UCF and Washington. He eventually picked Washington, drawn to the program’s coaches and culture. He had no idea he’d be searching for a new school just a month later.

“I don’t think anybody suspected (DeBoer leaving),” he said. “I honestly wouldn’t have gone there if I had any sort of feeling that he was going to be leaving after the season.”

As Barr hopped back into the portal to weigh his options, he quickly circled back to UCF — a close runner-up to the Huskies the first time around.

“Coach (Gus) Malzahn hit me back up and reached out, telling me that they still had a spot,” Barr said of the process. “It was really tough choosing Washington at the end of the day (initially) because I really did like Orlando. I liked UCF, all the coaches were amazing and just the opportunity that was available here. So whenever I came available again, I kind of felt like it was a sign that maybe this is where I’m meant to be.”

There is a familiar face at UCF, as well. Two days before Barr announced his commitment, Malzahn hired Ted Roof as the Knights’ defensive coordinator. Roof coached Barr in 2020 as a freshman at Vanderbilt in his one season as the Commodores defensive coordinator.

“It’s kind of crazy and honestly kind of cool,” Barr said. “When that happened, too, I was like, ‘This is going to be awesome.’ A full circle moment, getting back and connecting with coach Roof and being able to play for him again.”

Now Barr will focus on learning the playbook and diving into offseason workouts to prepare for a season he hopes will set him up with an opportunity to play in the NFL.

In the short term, Barr is eager to take a breath and get settled with Delaney and their dog after a tumultuous three months.

“I really wouldn’t wish (this process) upon anybody to have to do it,” he said. “It’s not something that you would necessarily choose, (but) yes, I think we can make it through just about anything.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News