ADVERTISEMENT

🚨 Conference Realignment Mega Thread: Clemson sues the ACC 🚨

Key word.......eventually.

I mean they supposedly just denied Oregon so it certainly doesn't sound like it's on the agenda right now.
Seems like it all depends on ND joining. If ND joins it's worth adding Oregon and maybe 2 more Pac 12 schools; if they don't, Oregon and the rest of the Pac 12 won't add enough value to justify the additional revenue splitting.

Last time I check 18 is an even number.*

Ha, but seriously ... Do you have 2, 9 team divisions with one cross-over game a year (for a 9-game conference schedule)?

Or do you do 4, 5-team pods (20 in total), so you play your other 4 teams every year and rotate through the other pods every few years?

18 seems like an odd number though, no? 20, with 4, 5-team pods makes more sense to maintain rivalries and handle scheduling arrangements (assuming TV partners are going to expect 9 conference games for inventory). What say you @CommuterBob?
I think logistics/format takes a back burner to increasing per team payout. Even if that means 15, 17 or 19 teams for now. They will figure out logistics. Everything is about money.

Reactions: knightalum74
18 seems like an odd number though, no? 20, with 4, 5-team pods makes more sense to maintain rivalries and handle scheduling arrangements (assuming TV partners are going to expect 9 conference games for inventory). What say you @CommuterBob?
I say numbers don't really matter now that divisions are dead. You could even have an odd number of teams now. 18 means you would have to go to a irregular rotation of teams to play as many as you can in four years, but you won't play everyone H&H even with a 9-game conference schedule.

EDIT: you could go with a 1-8-8 model, where you have just one permanent opponent every year and then rotate the other 8 every two years and play everyone H&H over a 4 year span.

Last edited:
It's going to be Notre Dame and Stanford.

I will die on this hill.

In Istanbul, Beijing, Paris, and Moscow, they know about Stanford. Many of them even know USC and UCLA honestly.

Nobody in those places knows about Washington or Oregon. Big 10 snobbery should not be understated.

Are Oregon and Washington excellent AAU schools? Yep. But Stanford has them lapped as a University, and I think the BIG will care more about that than adding more Penn State level football schools.

It's going to be Notre Dame and Stanford.

I will die on this hill.

In Istanbul, Beijing, Paris, and Moscow, they know about Stanford. Many of them even know USC and UCLA honestly.

Nobody in those places knows about Washington or Oregon. Big 10 snobbery should not be understated.

Are Oregon and Washington excellent AAU schools? Yep. But Stanford has them lapped as a University, and I think the BIG will care more about that than adding more Penn State level football schools.

You also maintain the Notre Dame Stanford rivalry (and USC).

They’re stuck and completely at the mercy of ND. Not much they can do really.
Awful situation, they could probably expand and take some of the Big 12 teams, but then they would immediately get raided. Who knows if it is better to wait it out or just get the party started.

Anyone wonder why the ACC is sitting silent? Hmmmm….

According the Marc Daniels schools would lose about $500m breaking the GOR. Notre Dame about half that, also not sure how the clause is worded or how binding it is that stated if Notre Dame joins a conference during the length of the contract it has to be the ACC.

According the Marc Daniels schools would lose about $500m breaking the GOR. Notre Dame about half that, also not sure how the clause is worded or how binding it is that stated if Notre Dame joins a conference during the length of the contract it has to be the ACC.

Wonder who would win a fight between the SEC and BIG for Florida State / Miami.

Reactions: shacket
What happens to the AAC when the MWC gets the PAC 12 scraps? Does the MWC then lure Memphis and SMU? There is still more depth in the pit usf is falling in too explore.
I don't think the exit fee is worth the move to the MWC and their TV contract to any AAC schools. This is another reason why no LO8 team will leave the XII for the "new" Pac 12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT