ADVERTISEMENT

1-21-2019 Basketball Summary Thread

UCFhonors

Todd's Tiki Bar
Feb 20, 2010
This week games:
Wed. 1-23. 8pm ESPN 3: at Tulane 308 Net Rankings. UCF wins by 25.

Sunday 1-27. 4pm CBSSN : at Memphis 65 Net Ranking which is our 1st Quadrant 1 game.

Women's
Tied with UConn for first place, UCF goes to Storrs to rip the tiara off of the Huskers' heads on Sunday at 4pm on ESPN 2.

So it's a massive double header this Sunday!

Last edited:
It seems to me Power 5 bias is starting to creep into basketball. Thoughts?

Absolutely. The ESP5N Cartel has been trying to push their propaganda in basketball since the cfb Invitational was created. Power 5 is made up term created for the Invitational Contract in 2012. It's beyond retarded to use it in Basketball. Yet every ESP5N pundit uses P5. I've send the Wiki pages slowly change verbage too.

Like this one about Mid-Majors:

"Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called "Power Five conferences" (the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC), the Big East, the American, the Atlantic 10, and the Mountain West. These conferences are sometimes referred to as "high majors" by comparison. The term "mid-major" was coined in 1977 by Jack Kvancz, head coach of Catholic University's men's basketball team.[1] Such a distinction is not officially acknowledged by the NCAA, nor does the NCAA use the terms "major" and "mid-major" to differentiate between Division I athletic conferences. It is considered offensive and derogatory by some fans and schools.[2][3]"

Don't use the Cartel's language. When language changes, so does the laws. There are no "power" conferences in basketball. There are High Majors and there has always been 9-10 of them.

Ahem!....Creepy girl? That's Fenriz from Darkthrone's famous Transilvanian Hunger album. Lets get it right chief!

Sure, lets make the bet. But I propose the winner of the bet pick the losers avatar.

Deal?

That's what an Avi bet is. The winner picks the loser's Avatar that they have to wear for a month.

Deal.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I'm projecting us going 10-3 for the rest of the regular season. That would put us at 14-4 in conference play which is good enough for 1st or 2nd in each of the last 5 years. An overall record of 24-6 which is a great record.

Going 8-5 is easily possible. That'd put us at 12-6 or 22-8 which most likely mean we would be first out on the bubble.

Just waiting for everyone to get excited over beating a small team that can’t shoot the ball. Tulane is terrible and running up the score against them doesn’t alleviate my concerns when it comes to playing Cinci, Houston, Memphis and even So Fla.

Just waiting for everyone to get excited over beating a small team that can’t shoot the ball. Tulane is terrible and running up the score against them doesn’t alleviate my concerns when it comes to playing Cinci, Houston, Memphis and even So Fla.

Real UCFans care about winning.

Now on to Memphis at Memphis. Our first quadrant 1 game - well Missouri was.

Big games toknight - Thursday.

There is a 5 way tie for 1st. Or well Houston is 6-1. UCF, & Cincy are 5-1. Memphis & Temple are 4-1.

Memphis at Temple 7pm on CBSSN. Think I'm going with Temple on this one. They have better wins and a better overall record. And we already have a win vs them.

Tulsa at Cincy. I want to see how good both teams are. 7pm on ESPN2.

So the AAC will go from Five 1 loss teams to 3 or 4.

Then on Sunday,
Cincy plays at Temple at noon.
And we play at Memphis.

So this 5 way tie will get broken up, and we will see some separation after this week.

Last edited:
Cool thanks for the update. So in summary there was no outcome that you would enjoy and you aren’t excited about the best start in UCF history and being first in the conference.

Strange stat.

We didn't score a FG in the last 6.5 mins vs Tulsa. And only scored 1 FG in the last 6.5 min vs Tulane.

From player interviews, they know they need to develop the killer instinct. We need to see that.

Strange stat.

We didn't score a FG in the last 6.5 mins vs Tulsa. And only scored 1 FG in the last 6.5 min vs Tulane.

From player interviews, they know they need to develop the killer instinct. We need to see that.
Could be because we get fouled a lot too. Get to the line more often than any other team.

Big games toknight - Thursday.

There is 5 way tie for 1st. Or well Houston is 6-1. UCF, & Cincy are 5-1. Memphis & Temple are 4-1.

Memphis at Temple 7pm on CBSSN. Think I'm going with Temple on this one. They have better wins and a better overall record. And we already have a win vs them.

Tulsa at Cincy. I want to see good both teams are. 7pm on ESPN2.

So the AAC will go from Five 1 loss teams to 3 or 4.

Then on Sunday,
Cincy plays at Temple at noon.
And we play at Memphis.

So this 5 way tie will get broken up, and we will see some separation after this week.

Starting to get entertaining. Attendance should go up if we beat Memphis.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Memphis will have a big crowd due to the name and Penny’s homecoming.

The one I worry about is UConn next Thursday at 9pm. UConn fans are the worse and they show up. 9pm is a tough sell for a lot of people.

Let’s hope we are ranked by then.

Meanwhile Cincy is blowing out Tulsa. And Memphis just made it a close game vs Temple - who is missing players due to an enjection a and fouls.

Shocking difference in the new NET rankings vs the old RPI with Temple. Net they were 62 on Tuesday. Their RPI is 24. Most are pretty similar but Temple's are way different. UCF was 35 NET and is 37 RPI

Temple and Cincy won last knight. Now their are 4 AAC teams with 1 conference loss.

New Net rankings through 1/24

Memphis is still a Q1 game. They dropped one place to 67. Temple got a huge boost for beating them at home . They jumped from 64 to 52.

Cincy moves from 34 to 29 for beating Tulsa who dropped from 99 to 104.

We stayed at 35 which is one spot behind FSU who was rankined from most of the season. And uf is 37th. We need to be the best Football and Basketball team in the State!

@Memphis is huge. We beat them there for the first time last year. And have been dominating the series the last few years.

Yes Memphis should remain a Q1 win if we beat them. Huge game. They couldn’t buy a 3 vs Temple. I hope that’s does t balance out vs us.

After reviewing the numbers, about 15-20 conferences will get an auto bid who would not have got an an at large bid. Substract that number from the 68 tournament teams to get the NET ranking needed to an NCAAt at large invite. That’s top 50 to 40 ish to be on the bubble. I feel very confident for an at large with a NET 38 or better. Top 30 is a lock.

Tie breakers on the huddle are big wins especially on the road and no bad losses. We need FAU to get to Q3 which they are about 9 NET rankings spots away from.

Last edited:
After reviewing the numbers, about 15-20 conferences will get an auto bid who would not have got an an at large bid. Substract that number from the 68 tournament teams to get the NET ranking need to in NCAAt at large invite. That’s top 50 to 40 ish to be on the bubble. I feel very confident for an at large with a NET 38 or better. Top 30 is a lock.

Tie breakers on the huddle are big wins especially on the road and no bad losses. We need FAU to get to Q3 which they are about 9 NET rankings spots away from.
Im thinking the number is closer to 30 conference winners who wouldn’t have gotten in without the auto bid. Have to be 38 or better.

38 or better is definitely our goal. But last year 33,34,36,38,39,40 were all left out. P5 teams with lower RPI will get in if it’s up to the committee.

22 or so of them only have 1 good team at most. You don’t think there could be 10 teams that have no shot of getting in unless they win conference?
No. There will not be 30 conference tourney winners that wouldn’t have otherwise gotten an at large. No chance.

Reactions: UCFhonors
No. There will not be 30 conference tourney winners that wouldn’t have otherwise gotten an at large. No chance.

I broke down the math.

There are at least 8 multi-bids conferences. Meaning their conference champ would have got an at large bid irregardless if they won or not. There are 32 conference. 32-8= 24. That means there will be about 24 teams who need to win their conference to get in. There are 68 teams in the tourney. 68-24 = 44. That means there are about 44 at large bids.

We are in a top 6 of the 9 High majors. So our bubble gets round up from top 44 to to 50 ish.

Ask before making arbitrary claims.

Last edited:
Us UCFans need to better than this. I’ll even do the math for you so you don’t make the same mistake again.

There are at least 8 multi-bids conferences. Meaning there conference champ would have got an at large bid irregardless if they won or not. There are 32 conference. 32-8= 24. That means there will be about 24 teams who need to win their conference to get in. There are 68 teams in the tourney. 68-24 = 44. That means there are about 44 at large bids.

We are in a top 6 of the 9 High majors. So our bubble gets round up from top 44 to to 50 ish.

Ask before making arbitrary claims.

I’ll do the math the opposite way. 11 seeds and better are all at large teams. There are 4 teams per seed. 4 x 11 = 44.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT