ADVERTISEMENT

$13 million QB at UF?

ucffinally

Two-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2019
The Sentinel is reporting that UF's $13 million deal for a California high schooler is falling apart. The deal may be what prompted him to back out of his earlier commitment to Miami. Maybe I'm just naïve but that sounds like a lot of money to me. Is that an exceptionally high offer or is it in the ballpark of what other colleges are paying QBs? Will we ever know what UCF backers are offering our players? Are college football players now generally higher paid than their professors? I'm still a college football fan. The old scholar-athlete label never made much sense. But the student-athlete-millionaire is a little hard to swallow.

The Sentinel is reporting that UF's $13 million deal for a California high schooler is falling apart. The deal may be what prompted him to back out of his earlier commitment to Miami. Maybe I'm just naïve but that sounds like a lot of money to me. Is that an exceptionally high offer or is it in the ballpark of what other colleges are paying QBs? Will we ever know what UCF backers are offering our players? Are college football players now generally higher paid than their professors? I'm still a college football fan. The old scholar-athlete label never made much sense. But the student-athlete-millionaire is a little hard to swallow.
$1.3 million is more likely, but Auburn allegedly got Cam Newton for 250k.

Must be some hellaious inflation for the going rate of a top tier quarterback.

Last edited:
Hope powers that be can get a handle on this Wild Wild West CFB world we find ourselves in…probably not though…

We’ll be fine. Once a couple of ridiculous NIL deals go down in flames and people lose big money. There are few people (or organizations) willing to shell out hundreds of thousands or millions to get no ROI.

If you are willing to do this you are either an idiot or so ridiculously rich it doesn’t matter to them (as an individual). As for groups, I don’t see how anybody is willing to do this.

These kids want to be paid, it needs to start coming with strings attached, and the ability for you/group to cut ties with a kid anytime they want. In other words, this stuff needs contracts.

We’ll be fine. Once a couple of ridiculous NIL deals go down in flames and people lose big money. There are few people (or organizations) willing to shell out hundreds of thousands or millions to get no ROI.

If you are willing to do this you are either an idiot or so ridiculously rich it doesn’t matter to them (as an individual). As for groups, I don’t see how anybody is willing to do this.

These kids want to be paid, it needs to start coming with strings attached, and the ability for you/group to cut ties with a kid anytime they want. In other words, this stuff needs contracts.
I'm sure NIL deals are contingent on staying with the team

Reactions: Knight Strength
I'm sure NIL deals are contingent on staying with the team
Nobody knows what’s going on with these deals. It’s chaos.

This should have raised a major red flag and the NCAA should have already announced they are looking into the whole way NIL works.

Instead, they are worried about Harbaugh buying some kid a cheeseburger, and watching some players work out over a video stream (or whatever it was).

The only way NIL was made legal was kids making money off of likeness. Meaning a BUSINESS can pay a kid to do a commercial or appearance or sign autographs. Not a school brokering deals to get kids to sign. That’s still technically illegal. As you can see with Harbaugh situation. So you obviously can’t tie a deal to a school. You can only make them sign 1 year deals at a time if that’s your aim as a business owner. NCAA needs to step in and shut down the schools buying the kids. That’s not what NIL is supposed to be.

The only way NIL was made legal was kids making money off of likeness. Meaning a BUSINESS can pay a kid to do a commercial or appearance or sign autographs. Not a school brokering deals to get kids to sign. That’s still technically illegal. As you can see with Harbaugh situation. So you obviously can’t tie a deal to a school. You can only make them sign 1 year deals at a time if that’s your aim as a business owner. NCAA needs to step in and shut down the schools buying the kids. That’s not what NIL is supposed to be.
When u buy a house, you fill out an application and the bank scrutinizes all of your bank statements. When you apply for insurance, the insurance company checks your credit history, loss history, etc.

The NIL deals have zero scrutiny and thats why ncaa cant enforce anything

Reactions: mattropolis
While opening name, image and likeness opportunities to student-athletes, the policy in all three divisions preserves the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those rules remain in effect.

That’s from NCAA website. Any school that sets up and distributes money is breaking the rule. It has to be a business or Someone not associated with the school and it can’t be contingent on going to school or remaining at that school.

I heard that he got that too - that Bohannon disclosed he was paid $350K to play at USF. Now was that because Baylor paid him $350K to go somewhere else or because USF had the money to give to him.
USF boosters paid him. idk why our fans refuse to believe this but even Programs that got left behind by UCF are throwing around big money. They got pissed after the Big 12 invited a UCF and a couple of their heavy hitters wanted to spend the problem away

Reactions: Knight Strength
USF boosters paid him. idk why our fans refuse to believe this but even Programs that got left behind by UCF are throwing around big money. They got pissed after the Big 12 invited a UCF and a couple of their heavy hitters wanted to spend the problem away
Refuse to believe it after watching their dumpster fire program the past 10 years. They have spent practically nothing on facilities in that time and have no fan base. Then there is the fund raisers the Crap Pen started last year that raised practically nothing……then they wanted Grier to return the money…..LOL.

Does the ncaa have the power to put a governor on the current situation? Probably not. Only guaranteed one year with star when their talents are discovered during the season with this new NIL system. Without some sort of governor it will become crazy on portal and more players won’t graduate.

While opening name, image and likeness opportunities to student-athletes, the policy in all three divisions preserves the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those rules remain in effect.

That’s from NCAA website. Any school that sets up and distributes money is breaking the rule. It has to be a business or Someone not associated with the school and it can’t be contingent on going to school or remaining at that school.
That's the running joke. Jaden Rashada wasn't getting paid by the Gator Collective to go to the school of his choice. Contingencies abound.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
That's the running joke. Jaden Rashada wasn't getting paid by the Gator Collective to go to the school of his choice. Contingencies abound.
I don’t know why the NCAA isn’t stepping in and at least giving warnings. Sitting on their hands is the wrong approach.

This is hillarious. Now this kid is gonna expect 13 mil to commit and hasnt proven himself at cfb level. My guess is he gets half that from some desperate school like nebraska and ultimately fails

Personally I think he ends up at Cal

However, apparently the reporting on the 13M is loose and it was 6.5 for the first 2 years and then 6.5 if he's at the school after that (from what I heard).

Reactions: beelit47
Personally I think he ends up at Cal

However, apparently the reporting on the 13M is loose and it was 6.5 for the first 2 years and then 6.5 if he's at the school after that (from what I heard).
Ive been to pittsburgh, ca. it is very much baltimore on the west coast. These cali kids are better off playing in the pac12. The sec woukd eat them up

You guys think they give these payouts in lump sums? I would doubt it. He could enter portal the day after he gets the money. I’m betting weekly or monthly installments.

I don’t know why the NCAA isn’t stepping in and at least giving warnings. Sitting on their hands is the wrong approach.
For years certain schools wanted to be able to pay players and the NCAA was against it. Now schools got what they wanted and don't like seeing players go to schools they would have never considered (Travis Hunter) and want it to be put all back to the way it use to be and the NCAA is just sitting back saying "you created this".

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Based on USF's performance, I didn't think $350K could fix them. That kind of money is 2 positions coaches and possibly a strength/conditioning or nutritionist for the team. Heck, its about 30% of the buyout for Jeff Scott. It should be interesting to see what their boosters are capable of doing in the new AAC. I'd like to see how USF does when they play the new powerhouse teams like FAU, UAB, and Charlotte. They should feel right at home!

UF trying to get big time on NIL and it blew up in their face. Too bad he didn't take their money and run. Don't hate the player....hate the game.

Jaden Rashada Signs With Arizona State​

Game Of Thrones Reaction GIF by Bud Light

ADVERTISEMENT