ADVERTISEMENT

2 for 1's

surfer98

Four-Star Recruit
Nov 30, 2017
Now that DW is gone, will the school's stance on 2 for 1's change? If the new AD takes 2 for 1's, will the fans support? I would accept a 2 for 1 with certain schools that would benefit UCF in some way, however, I would not accept a 2 for 1 with any Florida school- Especially the Gators!

Reactions: Knight Strength
I may be wrong but before Miami got into the ACC, didn’t they have the mentality of playing anyone, anytime, anywhere!? I think if UCF wants to be seen as a national contender and “next man up” for a P5 invite, we should have that mindset when it comes to scheduling. It gives us an opportunity to showcase in front of larger fan bases, on the bigger tv networks. In addition, my guess is it could help with recruiting because players see it as their opportunity to play on a bigger national stage against the best of the best. I’m all in for 2:1’s.

Reactions: KnightLife1
I may be wrong but before Miami got into the ACC, didn’t they have the mentality of playing anyone, anytime, anywhere!? I think if UCF wants to be seen as a national contender and “next man up” for a P5 invite, we should have that mindset when it comes to scheduling. It gives us an opportunity to showcase in front of larger fan bases, on the bigger tv networks. In addition, my guess is it could help with recruiting because players see it as their opportunity to play on a bigger national stage against the best of the best. I’m all in for 2:1’s.
Different era. In order to keep up with todays college football we need $$$. Gameday attendance is extremely important to us and specifically season tickets. When you allow for 2 for 1s it leaves a home game void that has to be filled with a single buy game (think famu) which is doing nothing for season ticket sales that year. Finding middle of the road power 5s that will do 1 for 1s may not seem splashy but it keeps a steady stream of revenue flowing. $$$ is more important than anything else in todays game.

Miami out of conference road games prior to ACC mostly consisted of in state rivalries with Florida and FSU. Which were part of home and home series’. I have no doubt UCF AD would jump out of their shoes at the prospect of a similar arrangement.

I guess first just ask who's ahead of us should the P5 expand (with such perennial crap like Syracuse, nebraska (haha) Tenn. Vandy, why would they want to expand)? It looks like it's basically ones from the American. Boise St is probably never being considered. Does 2-1s do anything to elevate us over them? 2-1s have made usf as attractive as an 80 yr old prozy, so losing them does nothing. But, if beating Big 12 champ Baylor, Maryland, Ga. Tech, Pitt, Auburn, etc. etc. has done nothing, what will 2-1s do? I keep remembering the stated reason the conference chose Louisville (they were spending at the top of the ACC, way more than other Big East), they were spending big $$$ on their sports. Maybe it all does come down to $$.

Miami out of conference road games prior to ACC mostly consisted of in state rivalries with Florida and FSU. Which were part of home and home series’. I have no doubt UCF AD would jump out of their shoes at the prospect of a similar arrangement.
No.

Miami went to Ann Arbor without return trip, and Norman, as well, I think.

FSU went to Lincoln and Columbus without return trips (as UCF already has) in their ascent.

I am pretty sure there were more for both, but I don't have time to research right now

No.

Miami went to Ann Arbor without return trip, and Norman, as well, I think.

FSU went to Lincoln and Columbus without return trips (as UCF already has) in their ascent.

I am pretty sure there were more for both, but I don't have time to research right now

Miami has played 6 regular season games vs Oklahoma ever. 3 different home and home series (1973/75, 1985/86, 2007/09)

edit. You are actually right about Michigan. They actually did play twice but both in Michigan. Again in the 80s.

Last edited:
FSU was one that traveled all over for games but that was when they were an independent and did not have a stadium to pay for.

That is all changed in today's landscape, if you play nothing but away games, mom won't want her child going to a school where she can't see the games.

No way would we want to play twice at Bama, Clemson and OSU...Recipe for disaster. We lost at Tulsa....1-1 with P5 schools but not playing twice at those places.
It's fools gold thinking playing two games at somebody else's place will somehow get you respect, and if you happen to win one, it "gets you over the top". That's an 80's mentality when there were tons of independent programs and there was no playoff in any way, shape, or form. The bowls didn't even have tie-ins back then. That's not the world of college football today, nor the future.

It's fools gold thinking playing two games at somebody else's place will somehow get you respect, and if you happen to win one, it "gets you over the top". That's an 80's mentality when there were tons of independent programs and there was no playoff in any way, shape, or form. The bowls didn't even have tie-ins back then. That's not the world of college football today, nor the future.
In AAC you can get respect by being top 25 with a good record, winning the conference and a neutral NY6 bowl. That’s the ceiling. Cow scheduling will lead to cow results. Losing the impossible road games and fan apathy. Do you think their fan base added a single fan because they scheduled a road game with Notre Dame last year?

Forget the CFP angle - would you be more excited to watch UCF play @Tulsa or @(name a P5 school here)?

2:1 and adding an FAU or similar as a home game to balance things out would be fine for me for most P5 teams.

The Bowls were all tie ins back then. The big ones anyway. That’s why 1vs2 rarely happened. Rose was PAC vs BIG no matter how bad the matchup was.

I'd prefer this strategy: Very selective 2-1 reserved for a currently elite program (i.e., Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State's of the world). Our 1 game has to be in the Bouncehouse. Mix in neutral site kickoff games with interesting A5 opponents in Atlanta, Citrus Bowl, or Jacksonville with reasonably regional teams whose fans would also come (i.e., Tennessee, VA Tech, West Virginia). Schedule 1 away - 1 neutral - 1 home format games with programs just below current elite status level (i.e., Ok State, Oregon, Penn State). Schedule home and homes series with mid to lower tier A5 teams and interesting G5 teams (i.e., Arizona State, San Diego State, App State, Purdue, Texas Tech).

The in-state matchups appear too hot to touch at the moment. Maybe DW being gone helps open up the possibility again. Don't bend over a barrel to get it done, though.

Winning is what matters, but there should be a balance. No guarantee UCF goes to an NY6 bowl in the next 10 years or more. Some may be ok watching FIU/FAU games for the next 10 years, but others may want to see the occasion goliath game.

Otherwise schedule FCS, UConn, FIU/FAU, and CUSA/MAC team every year and if the team lose more than 1 game or even 1 game, and ends up playing an MAC/CUSA team in December.

So does anyone here not think that consistently getting to the NY6 games and being the top fish in the small pond is the best way to get to the P5? What difference is a game or two against Alabama or Clemson or any other such program going to make? WE ARE NOT GETTING INTO A 4 TEAM PLAYOFF... LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN, WE ARE NOT GETTING INTO A 4 TEAM PLAYOFF.

Our schedule should reflect what is necessary to maintain top status in G5. That is all. All of the rest is demographics which we have no matter who we play. So I say maintain scheduling that gives us the best opportunity to be top of the g5 while selling tickets. I think there was a method to DW's madness. He just needed to shut up about it.

Forget the CFP angle - would you be more excited to watch UCF play @Tulsa or @(name a P5 school here)?

2:1 and adding an FAU or similar as a home game to balance things out would be fine for me for most P5 teams.
That isn’t the trade off. Tulsa game will be played either way. Trade off is a “name” school away primarily vs a different “mid tier” name like UNC, Louisville, BYU, or Boise with an even split. Are you ok with none of the latter teams coming to UCF in a season and instead we play 2 away games vs big time teams (almost assuredly losses) in the first third of the season? So start conference play 2-2 and out of the rankings vs 4-0 and in? You think that will drive more fans to the stadium? There would be less incentive for season ticket holders to buy every year if we only get a decent non conference opponent ever other year or something. We don’t have the fan base yet who will “weather” those seasons without a decent home game.

it is something how dug in most of our online fanbase is on this ...

I would rather have an occasional 6 home game schedule instead of 7 to play a road game at Southern Cal or Notre Dame vs playing Liberty in front of 28k fans that leave at halftime
I’d rather play a Pitt/Stanford/UNC/Louisville/Boise at home every year at the expense of a name school buy game on the road. From the perspective of an AD it is also more financially lucrative to have extra home games even if it means they aren’t top tier matchups (which can’t be guaranteed anyway) than get tied up in a bunch of 2-1 series like the cows which will lead to 5 home games eventually. Or the dreaded double FCS.

By the way the reason the cows can do their type of scheduling is because they can make nearly as much in revenue for one UF game at capacity as they will for their other home games combined. They are in the unenviable position of opponent based attendance vs performance based. So when they get 80k in the door for one home game vs their standard 15k or whatever it is worth it to make the scheduling work by any means necessary. For UCF team that is more popular and playing in a smaller stadium there isn’t as much emphasis on focusing on one giant payday. Even a low tier opponent will draw 75-80% capacity if we are winning.

By the way the reason the cows can do their type of scheduling is because they can make nearly as much in revenue for one UF game at capacity as they will for their other home games combined. They are in the unenviable position of opponent based attendance vs performance based. So when they get 80k in the door for one home game vs their standard 15k or whatever it is worth it to make the scheduling work by any means necessary. For UCF team that is more popular and playing in a smaller stadium there isn’t as much emphasis on focusing on one giant payday. Even a low tier opponent will draw 75-80% capacity if we are winning.
This is the way

The Bowls were all tie ins back then. The big ones anyway. That’s why 1vs2 rarely happened. Rose was PAC vs BIG no matter how bad the matchup was.
You’re correct. Some major bowls had tie-ins. The majority of others did not. Each bowl could go out and try to make the best matchup they could. Now they all have tie-ins.

Winning is what matters, but there should be a balance. No guarantee UCF goes to an NY6 bowl in the next 10 years or more. Some may be ok watching FIU/FAU games for the next 10 years, but others may want to see the occasion goliath game.

Otherwise schedule FCS, UConn, FIU/FAU, and CUSA/MAC team every year and if the team lose more than 1 game or even 1 game, and ends up playing an MAC/CUSA team in December.
If we’re doing a Goliath game I’d rather it just be a one-off game (like Michigan or Ohio State) and you can guarantee it’ll be at their place, and we will lose 95% of the time.

There’s a reason you don’t want to play away games. You will lose more often. That is why you see upsets during conference play, like teams losing at Iowa State. Does anybody think Texas or Oklahoma would schedule a 1-and-1 with them if they weren’t a conference foe? Absolutely not.

That isn’t the trade off. Tulsa game will be played either way. Trade off is a “name” school away primarily vs a different “mid tier” name like UNC, Louisville, BYU, or Boise with an even split. Are you ok with none of the latter teams coming to UCF in a season and instead we play 2 away games vs big time teams (almost assuredly losses) in the first third of the season? So start conference play 2-2 and out of the rankings vs 4-0 and in? You think that will drive more fans to the stadium? There would be less incentive for season ticket holders to buy every year if we only get a decent non conference opponent ever other year or something. We don’t have the fan base yet who will “weather” those seasons without a decent home game.
You glossed over my question, so I’ll elaborate as to why I brought it up.

As a football fan, I am excited when UCF plays teams that are considered “above” us - basically, the P5. I don’t care if that game is home or away. While I understand there are financial considerations and competitive considerations in either case, in terms of pure interest, I don’t care if it’s home or away, I’d enjoy watching it. I am curious if I am in the majority or the minority.

To your comments, I would prefer balanced (1:1) scheduling with any P5 schools whenever we can. However, I would be completely fine with an unbalanced agreement for the right reasons.

Reactions: KnightLife1
You glossed over my question, so I’ll elaborate as to why I brought it up.

As a football fan, I am excited when UCF plays teams that are considered “above” us - basically, the P5. I don’t care if that game is home or away. While I understand there are financial considerations and competitive considerations in either case, in terms of pure interest, I don’t care if it’s home or away, I’d enjoy watching it. I am curious if I am in the majority or the minority.

To your comments, I would prefer balanced (1:1) scheduling with any P5 schools whenever we can. However, I would be completely fine with an unbalanced agreement for the right reasons.
Inequitable scheduling catches up to you if you want to consistently field a decent home slate of games. usf got UF at home first. So maybe they can buy out remaining games or something. But while they benefit from their 2-1 philosophy for one game next year with UF, their other home game is FAMU while they play 2 road OOC games. The following year they again play 2 road OOC games they will lose and their only home game scheduled is Howard. They are not only costing themselves in ranking and record by scheduling these road games against teams that don’t lose at home, but they are mortgaging their future home scheduling ability since they have so many road games locked up. So the only opponents that will be available for a home game are those that won’t require a return trip. In other words FCS teams. If the cows want a decent home opponent for 2023 outside of Howard now they have no future availability to offer return trips. Especially not 2 away games.

Im not opposed to 2-1 against certain teams like Bama. But usf was giving them out like candy (including to teams who gave 1-1 with UCF like Louisville).

Inequitable scheduling catches up to you if you want to consistently field a decent home slate of games. usf got UF at home first. So maybe they can buy out remaining games or something. But while they benefit from their 2-1 philosophy for one game next year with UF, their other home game is FAMU while they play 2 road OOC games. The following year they again play 2 road OOC games they will lose and their only home game scheduled is Howard. They are not only costing themselves in ranking and record by scheduling these road games against teams that don’t lose at home, but they are mortgaging their future home scheduling ability since they have so many road games locked up. So the only opponents that will be available for a home game are those that won’t require a return trip. In other words FCS teams. If the cows want a decent home opponent for 2023 outside of Howard now they have no future availability to offer return trips. Especially not 2 away games.

Im not opposed to 2-1 against certain teams like Bama. But usf was giving them out like candy (including to teams who gave 1-1 with UCF like Louisville).
Agreed - it has a pretty quick stacking effect if you have too many 2:1 arrangements and certain schools (cough, cows, cough) are going nuts with it.

To your point in the other thread, their home games Don’t draw and probably are financial losses, so being paid to go somewhere else isn’t the worst thing in the world. I read somewhere that they have to give up a lot of ticket revenue for home games to big names too, so that’s a further kick in the junk for them. And I’m not sorry about it - it’s karma for crumbling of the big East which I pin on Genshaft :)

How about a 1.5 and 1.5?

Have the 3rd split game at a neutral site??

Orlando, Gainesville, JAX

Hahaha. You all are so freaking delusional. Keep holding out and thinking you have a leg to stand on in scheduling...the rest of the nation will keep laughing while you continue to slide back to irrelevance.

Stop embarrassing our conference.

• Haha
Reactions: HailToPitt725
Hahaha. You all are so freaking delusional. Keep holding out and thinking you have a leg to stand on in scheduling...the rest of the nation will keep laughing while you continue to slide back to irrelevance.

Go cheer for South Florida.

UCF is a national brand and even in its 0wen years gets more hype than your Bullspeedahead P5 afterthought. UCF got 1 year in AQ conference and won the whole damn thing plus a Fiesta Bowl. We find a pulse on defense this year we are back in the ship. Why risk our NY6 bowl giving 2 for 1s to UF?

The circle jerk in your moms basement finally paused for a few moments to type? Embarrassing the conference you say as you field an embarrassing squad year after year.

You all in the 2-1 camp are missing one important point: there’s no guarantee that the 1 at UCF will ever be played. Or at least not if UCF is good when it rolls around. We’ve already lived that frustration where name school buys out of that UCF home game and we have to get whoever is available to fill in.

ADVERTISEMENT