ADVERTISEMENT

2 for 1's

Thats fine, but you guys went undefeated which, all jokes aside I applaud you guys for and even appreciate it for our conference. But in the end you still didnt make the playoffs so its so bitter sweet. If we go undefeated, it will happen. Thanks to you guy for open doors for us 😎
Which year are you referencing? At most 2 good opponents each year. That’s assuming those teams are good those years. UF has been hit and miss last 6 years. Miami same. NC State? Mostly a miss. UL? Not really. BYU usually is 20th but just lost their best QB in a long time.

Thats fine, but you guys went undefeated which, all jokes aside I applaud you guys for and even appreciate it for our conference. But in the end you still didnt make the playoffs so its so bitter sweet. If we go undefeated, it will happen. Thanks to you guy for open doors for us 😎
How many undefeated regular seasons do the Bulls have?

I would take a good few of your 2-1s in a heartbeat, particularly the Bama and Notre Dame games - provided our return leg was actually at our home stadium.

Reactions: Endeavor.
Let’s have you guys focus on winning an FBS game before we start talking crazy talk about going undefeated.

Besides, don’t you have to win a conference title to go undefeated? We all know you can’t do that...😎

2 for 1's are lopsided advantages to powerful programs that don't need more advantages. That is selling your soul to the devil. USF is only doing it because they are desperate for money and a resemblance of respect.

Meanwhile USF is already scheduled out to 2028 with a whole bunch of ranked P5 teams. "If" we were to go undefeated we will actually MAKE the playoffs. But go ahead and hold onto your idea that 2 for 1s suck. To be the best you have to play the best.

A G5 to the playoffs???

AYS43YD47NHTVKU7Y2QQNFQ4RY.jpg

Well provided that those teams are actually ranked that year, like scheduling #9 Stanford only to have them suck the year you play and demolish them. Also that all of them are ranked in the top 10 at the time you beat them and that no other P5 teams are undefeated and no SEC teams have 1 loss (maybe 2), and that your QB is healthy after going undefeated and whether or not the P5 team you played had their starting QB and you did not struggle against some conference team at the end of the season ...oh and it hopes to start the year ranked pretty high. No, I don't see it. Even 2025 which might be your best schedule with Florida and Miami, over the last 5 seasons neither of these teams would move the conversation enough, especially if you gave 2 or 3 P5 teams run the table or have 1 loss. NY6 at best

I wonder if Danny White had it to do over again, would he still vocally oppose all 2-for-1's? As I recall he admitted near the end of his tenure that he was struggling to get any Power 5 opponents scheduled. The future schedules bear that out. Some of that has to do with UCF's success over the past several seasons but a lot of it is just the nature of college football today. But it seems like DW drilled his "No 2-for-1" mantra into people's heads for 5 years and now they can't see it any other way.

The reason we got games in the past with Florida, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. is because we accepted the occasional lopsided series. Obviously we will never get any of those games if we continue the DW way. If you're fine with that, ok. But it looks like we can barely get mid-level Power 5 games anymore. Over the next 4 seasons there are only 3 Power 5 teams on the schedule -- Louisville twice and Georgia Tech once.

I think Gus's perspective, coming from Auburn, is likely reasonable -- if you want to advance beyond where you are now, you are going to have to compromise some to get on the big stage more often. Remember when all the talking heads finally started to reverse course on UCF -- it was after the Stanford blowout win. A regular season victory over a top-tier program (even though they were having a down year). If the perception is that you are scheduling and beating the big boys, the dynamic changes. Can't happen with wins over Georgia Tech and Memphis.

Reactions: Endeavor.
Dang, didn’t think it was THAT bad.

There was an article by Black and Gold Banneret two years ago that pointed out UCF having the most openings in the nation outside of independent teams that have to fill out a full schedule every year. In the last two years I believe only games added was Liberty, 1-1 with Boise State and BYU

Reactions: Knight Strength
thats rough, hopefully Gus and ADTM can get this one off Alabama game scheduled and at least get the ball rolling. Might have to take a few 'away one and done with no guarantee of a future series' games to fill out the holes this decade.

Reactions: SimpleJack53
Meanwhile USF is already scheduled out to 2028 with a whole bunch of ranked P5 teams. "If" we were to go undefeated we will actually MAKE the playoffs. But go ahead and hold onto your idea that 2 for 1s suck. To be the best you have to play the best.

cow u in the playoffs?

You have never sniffed even a BCS or NYD6 Bowl.

Never sniffed a Conf Championship and never even won a DIVISIONAL Title in your history.

cow u is broke...with almost no fans...hence why they signed games to get some fans (not even their own) to show up to that off campus stadium.

Reactions: U C to the F
I wonder if Danny White had it to do over again, would he still vocally oppose all 2-for-1's? As I recall he admitted near the end of his tenure that he was struggling to get any Power 5 opponents scheduled. The future schedules bear that out. Some of that has to do with UCF's success over the past several seasons but a lot of it is just the nature of college football today. But it seems like DW drilled his "No 2-for-1" mantra into people's heads for 5 years and now they can't see it any other way.

The reason we got games in the past with Florida, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. is because we accepted the occasional lopsided series. Obviously we will never get any of those games if we continue the DW way. If you're fine with that, ok. But it looks like we can barely get mid-level Power 5 games anymore. Over the next 4 seasons there are only 3 Power 5 teams on the schedule -- Louisville twice and Georgia Tech once.

I think Gus's perspective, coming from Auburn, is likely reasonable -- if you want to advance beyond where you are now, you are going to have to compromise some to get on the big stage more often. Remember when all the talking heads finally started to reverse course on UCF -- it was after the Stanford blowout win. A regular season victory over a top-tier program (even though they were having a down year). If the perception is that you are scheduling and beating the big boys, the dynamic changes. Can't happen with wins over Georgia Tech and Memphis.
UCF in these specific 2-for-1 (or 0-for-1) scenarios you called out: Florida....away...lost both badly. Miami....beating at home and away. Bama...away a million years ago, they went 3-8 that year and we won. Auburn...away...lost one tight game (BTW, they were 3-8 that year) and the other two were beat-downs. Ohio State...beat down. Michigan....beat down.

Yeah, let's sign up for more games like this. It makes total sense!!

Giving away road games is a dumb idea. I get it, gotta play a neutral site, 0-for-1 or 2-for-1 from time-to-time but it should be rare. Signing up for a whole bunch of 2-for-1's against really good programs is dumb. Just dumb. They don't do it. Why? Because they have enough common sense to know playing true road games is tough so they avoid it at all costs. Other than a bigger paycheck (which isn't going to change their lot in life), USF is going to regret ever signing up for all these, as each time they get a road beat-down (and the way they have been playing, probably a beatdown at home as well). So far they have been embarrassed twice. If you can win one here-or-there it'll only matter if both you and that team do really well that season (like in 2013 when we beat Louisville...but that was a conference game that year so Louisville couldn't avoid it), otherwise it means nothing.

What's more important is winning conference titles, and playing in (and winning) games that matter.

According to Winspedia UCF is 14-57 against P5/BCS competition + BYU:
UCF is 5-19 against the ACC. (win @ 3-7 GaTech, win @ 5-7 NC State, win vs Pitt at home, win vs BC at home, win @ 12-1 Louisville.
UCF is 1-5 against the Big 12. (win at neutral site game versus Baylor (bowl game))
UCF is 3-11 against the Big 10. (win vs Rutgers at home, win @ 4-8 Maryland, win @ 7-5 Penn State)
UCF is 1-2 against the PAC-12. (win vs 4-8 Stanford at home)
UCF is 3-18 against the SEC. (Win @3-8 Bama, Win at neutral site versus Georgia (bowl game). Win at neutral site versus Auburn (bowl game))
UCF is 1-2 against BYU (win was at home)

My takeaway from this is 2 quality road wins (Louisville and Penn State), and then a whole lot of losses.

UCF in these specific 2-for-1 (or 0-for-1) scenarios you called out: Florida....away...lost both badly. Miami....beating at home and away. Bama...away a million years ago, they went 3-8 that year and we won. Auburn...away...lost one tight game (BTW, they were 3-8 that year) and the other two were beat-downs. Ohio State...beat down. Michigan....beat down.

Giving away road games is a dumb idea. I get it, gotta play a neutral site, 0-for-1 or 2-for-1 from time-to-time but it should be rare. Signing up for a whole bunch of 2-for-1's against really good programs is dumb. Just dumb. They don't do it. Why? Because they have enough common sense to know playing true road games is tough so they avoid it at all costs. Other than a bigger paycheck (which isn't going to change their lot in life), USF is going to regret ever signing up for all these, as each time they get a road beat-down (and the way they have been playing, probably a beatdown at home as well). So far they have been embarrassed twice. If you can win one here-or-there it'll only matter if both you and that team do really well that season (like in 2013 when we beat Louisville...but that was a conference game that year so Louisville couldn't avoid it), otherwise it means nothing.

What's more important is winning conference titles, and playing in (and winning) games that matter.

UCF is 5-19 against the ACC. (win @ 3-7 GaTech, win @ 5-7 NC State, win vs Pitt at home, win vs BC at home, win @ 12-1 Louisville.
UCF is 1-5 against the Big 12. (win at neutral site game versus Baylor (bowl game))
UCF is 3-11 against the Big 10. (win vs Rutgers at home, win @ 4-8 Maryland, win @ 7-5 Penn State)
UCF is 3-18 against the SEC. (Win @3-8 Bama, Win at neutral site versus Georgia (bowl game). Win at neutral site versus Auburn (bowl game))

My takeaway from this is 2 quality road wins (Louisville and Penn State), and then a whole lot of losses.
Most of our losses came prior to being in AAC. You going to put losses as Independentscand CUSA in the same boat as current team?

Most of our losses came prior to being in AAC. You going to put losses as Independentscand CUSA in the same boat as current team?
This is true, we were a totally different program then than now. That was back when we could get teams to schedule us, they scheduled us then for a reason. I get your point though..

Louisville was a conference foe. Penn State was dealing with Sandusky sanctions. Both were 2013.

Well, I'm convinced not only should we not take 2 for 1s we should probably just drop down to FCS we're so bad.

Well, I'm convinced not only should we not take 2 for 1s we should probably just drop down to FCS we're so bad.
Not only us. Every team that plays a top flight team on the road. There is a reason teams like Oklahoma, Alabama, Clemson ride 20 or 30 game win streaks at home.

Not only us. Every team that plays a top flight team on the road. There is a reason teams like Oklahoma, Alabama, Clemson ride 20 or 30 game win streaks at home.
In last 3 years Bama has lost 1 home and 1 away plus 1 or 2 neutral. Clemson and Oklahoma are probably similar.

FAU has two ooc road games scheduled in '22,'23,'24. Guessing UCF travels to FAU in either '23, '24.

2024 could be

@BYU
@FAU
Liberty
FCS

I like the instate FAU/FIU games. Lets drop the FCS games and keep UCONN series and try and add ACC or SEC games. Our conference schedule with FIU/FAU, UCONN, and two games against ACC/SEC etc. would be a fun schedule. If not UCONN lets add Marshall or Georgia Southern- teams like that.

I like the instate FAU/FIU games. Lets drop the FCS games and keep UCONN series and try and add ACC or SEC games. Our conference schedule with FIU/FAU, UCONN, and two games against ACC/SEC etc. would be a fun schedule. If not UCONN lets add Marshall or Georgia Southern- teams like that.
There is no UCONN-Series...its just a home game for UCF.

Also...there is no telling when UCONN finally pulls their plug on their money losing program (some predict it could be SOON) so its hard to schedule more games with them 4-8 years out.

Reactions: UCFBS

I totally see everything that you are saying, but I wouldn't be shocked if Ga. Tech and Memphis make it into the back end of the rankings in the next couple of years.

I totally see everything that you are saying, but I wouldn't be shocked if Ga. Tech and Memphis make it into the back end of the rankings in the next couple of years.
Memphis could get ranked early with 3 out of 4 easy game and a winnable home game vs a SEC Team.

Their non-conf schedule is:
Div I-AA NICHOLLS STATE
at Arkansas St
MISSISSIPPI STATE
UTSA

Also, Memphis avoids Cinci this year and they play at UCF, just 6 days after UCF has to play at Cinci.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT