ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Big12 Expectations

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022

(Note: none of the four teams joining the conference this summer — BYU, Cincinnati, Houston or UCF — appeared in any of these rankings.)

ESPN

• 12. TCU
  • 16. Texas
  • 18. Kansas State
  • 23. Texas Tech
The Athletic

• 10. TCU
  • 17. Kansas State
  • 21. Texas Tech
Bleacher Report

• 14. Texas
  • 15. TCU
  • 17. Kansas State
  • 20. Texas Tech
  • 23. Oklahoma
Yahoo Sports

• 15. TCU
  • 16. Texas
  • 17. Kansas State
  • 20. Oklahoma
  • 21. Texas Tech
CBS Sports

• 6. TCU
  • 17. Texas
  • 19. Kansas State
  • 25. Oklahoma
Fox Sports

• 8. TCU
  • 13. Kansas State
  • 22. Oklahoma
  • 23. Texas
  • 25. Kansas
Sports Illustrated

• 9. TCU
  • 18. Kansas State
  • 21. Texas
Sporting News

• 8. TCU
  • 17. Kansas State
  • 18. Texas Tech
  • 20. Texas
Athlon Sports

• 14. Texas
  • 15. TCU
  • 20. Kansas State
  • 21. Oklahoma
Hard not to envision a Gus Malzahn-coached team ranked at any point during the season. I think UCF and Gus find a way to win eight games.

I simply do not see UCF floundering in a league where only one team has a national top 50 run defense (33. Texas).

Last edited:

(Note: none of the four teams joining the conference this summer — BYU, Cincinnati, Houston or UCF — appeared in any of these rankings.)

ESPN

• 12. TCU
  • 16. Texas
  • 18. Kansas State
  • 23. Texas Tech
The Athletic

• 10. TCU
  • 17. Kansas State
  • 21. Texas Tech
Bleacher Report

• 14. Texas
  • 15. TCU
  • 17. Kansas State
  • 20. Texas Tech
  • 23. Oklahoma
Yahoo Sports

• 15. TCU
  • 16. Texas
  • 17. Kansas State
  • 20. Oklahoma
  • 21. Texas Tech
CBS Sports

• 6. TCU
  • 17. Texas
  • 19. Kansas State
  • 25. Oklahoma
Fox Sports

• 8. TCU
  • 13. Kansas State
  • 22. Oklahoma
  • 23. Texas
  • 25. Kansas
Sports Illustrated

• 9. TCU
  • 18. Kansas State
  • 21. Texas
Sporting News

• 8. TCU
  • 17. Kansas State
  • 18. Texas Tech
  • 20. Texas
Athlon Sports

• 14. Texas
  • 15. TCU
  • 20. Kansas State
  • 21. Oklahoma
Hard not to envision a Gus Malzahn-coached team ranked at any point during the season. I think UCF and Gus find a way to win eight games.
I guess we will just have to just win to gain respect. I really don't know what to expect next season with so many changes on UCF's roster and coaching staff. Hopefully we get back to having a great passing game.

Expect to go to a bowl game and be 500 in conference…game at Boise in Week 2 will go a long way in determining vibe for season…Boise should be preseason Top25

Reactions: PositYourself
It all comes down to QB play. We could have 4 wins. We could have 8-9 wins (or more but not likely). Much like the last two seasons we won’t know until we see the team out there playing.

Reactions: Shark19
With so much uncertainty at this point (no spring practice yet, and of course no fall practice) it's too hard to tell. I certainly didn't think Dawkins would turn his situation around, but look what the portal did.

I think with how we ended the season, and the turmoil and turnover of the coaching staff and roster, the expectation this year is merely making a bowl game. I think it’s going to be close

I am toning down my expectations from the past 4 years of hoping we could rekindle 2017/2018.

I will be happy if we win 6 games and make a bowl game. And I fear, this is still setting the bar too high.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
You low expectation having excuse-makers have lost y'all's minds. UCF--broke or not--needs to compete for a Big12 title Day 1. If Gus goes 6-6, his azz needs to be rode out on a rail. That's not happening. Gus doesn't lower his standards.

Y'all need to grow a pair. The same ones of you who are saying the best UCF can manage is 6 wins are the same ones who will be calling for Gus's head if the Knights struggle to make a bowl game. You can LIE to yourself, but you cannot LIE to me. So if you are planning on moving the goal posts in the fall, go ahead and move the MF'er now. Expect nothing but the best. Four-loss Gus wins 9 again.

Last edited:
I'm going to be a pessimist for next season - I think we are going to win 4 of 8 conference games. I think we will win at least 3 of the OOC games. So I think 7 wins would be a successful season as we transition to the B12.
I’m pretty sure we only have 3 OOC games so you might mean win at least 2.

Reactions: rainman614
You low expectation having excuse-makers have lost y'all's minds. UCF--broke or not--needs to compete for a Big12 title Day 1. If Gus goes 6-6, his azz needs to be rode out on a rail. That's not happening. Gus doesn't lower his standards.

Y'all need to grow a pair. The same ones of you who are saying the best UCF can manage is 6 wins are the same ones who will be calling for Gus's head if the Knights struggle to make a bowl game. You can LIE to yourself, but you cannot LIE to me So if you are planning on moving the goal posts in the fall, go ahead and move the MF'er now. Expect nothing but the best. Four-loss Gus wins 9 again.

-Not happening chief
-He's already on the a rail for the way he's managing the program. The current record is specious
-He'll get a couple more seasons due to budget
-My pair is so big I carry them in a wagon

• Haha

Y'all need to grow a pair. The same ones of you who are saying the best UCF can manage is 6 wins are the same ones who will be calling for Gus's head if the Knights struggle to make a bowl game. You can LIE to yourself, but you cannot LIE to me. So if you are planning on moving the goal posts in the fall, go ahead and move the MF'er now. Expect nothing but the best. Four-loss Gus wins 9 again.
I think you copied this insane rant from the crap pen…..

So exactly which QB are we going to win 9 games with? Call your shot Crazy Horse.

I think tempering expectations is better than low expectations. We're stepping up in competition, you don't think they'll be a drop off? You're not living in reality.

If we were still in the AAC for Gus' 3rd year I would expect a championship or bust. All things are NOT equal so you have to give him 1-2 years to figure out B12 and if he needs to adjust his roster and then we can start talking about canning him for a 6-6 record.

If we were going into Big 12 after our NY6 wins people would be saying we’re winning the conference right out of gate. But with 9 win seasons in a row basically people are not optimistic. It shows how we are trending that people don’t have high expectations. The NC year we could beat anyone. Stars don’t matter. Now, we need to give Gus time to build depth and every other excuse. We are a QB away from winning the conference. Always have been. Always will.

I UCFully expect UCFootball to be competing for the Conference Championship in Year 1.

#UCFacts

giphy.gif

Reactions: UCFhonors

Of the four newcomers, Rittenberg reported that "BYU is seen as the program most equipped to handle a full-blown Power 5 schedule, followed closely by UCF."

Over the last two seasons, BYU has played 12 Power Five teams going 8-4 in those games. The other three programs have combined to play 15 games against Power Five teams in the same time frame, going 6-9 in those games.

-------------------------------------------------------------

UCF will play five Big12 road games and at Boise State. Four, including BYU, will be in Orlando.

Last edited:
I'd like to see us bowl eligible with a couple of nice wins. I'd like to see 6-8 wins and sit in the middle of the Big 12 standings. Season 2 I hope we can compete and challenge the top of the conference.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
ADVERTISEMENT