ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Secondary Preview

Bring Back Wackadoos

Four-Star Recruit
Mar 15, 2023
Top returners
Quadric Bullard (SR), 6-0/170, career (19 starts at UCF): 123 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 FF, 3 FR's
Corey Thornton (SR), 6-1/190, career (27 starts at UCF): 111 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, 1 INT
Jarvis Ware (5th), 6-1/190, career (6 starts at UCF): 91 tackles, 1 FR, 1 INT
Brandon Adams (JR), 6-3/180, career (10 starts at UCF): 53 tackles

Of all the Knights' 2023 units, UCF's secondary will look the most madeover and revamped this upcoming season. Starters D. Brown (transferred), J. Hodges (dismissed from team), and D. Wilson (graduated) have moved on, as well as part-time starter last season K. Perry (graduated). And top returner Q. Bullard, who had a standout sophomore season in 2021, suffered a season-ending knee injury in early November of '22 (at Memphis). After starting 10 games as a true freshmen in 2020, C. Thornton had a miserable sophomore season that ultimately led to him losing his job in '21. To his credit, he had a very solid bounce-back junior season (49 tackles, 7 PD's) - outplaying his counter-part Brown on the outside. Adams is a solid depth-corner that has made spot starts over both his true freshmen and sophomore seasons. Ware, a local-product who has played at the college-level since 2018 (transferred from Missouri), has struggled with various injuries throughout his career (but made six starts at safety last season after Bullard went down).

It goes without saying that UCF is well-stocked with young players in their secondary as well. Local Central Florida prep standouts J. Henderson (RS FR), D. Henderson (SO), N. Martinez (SO), and B. Marshall (FR) will be in the mix this season, it just remains to be seen how much time on the field these emerging prospects will grab.

Top newcomers
Fred Davis (SR), 6-1/200 (transferred from Clemson, 34 career tackles)
DeJordan Mask (5th), 6-1/180 (transferred from Texas State, 136 tackles, 4 INT's in career)
Decorian Patterson (R-SR), 6-0/193 (from MTSU, 183 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 FF, 9 INT's in career)
Jireh Wilson (5th), 6-3/220 (from East Carolina, 190 tackles, 6.0 sacks, 3 FF, 3 INT's in career)

With everything UCF had to replace from last season, the staff clearly made the secondary a priority when it came to the portal market. With their experience and pedigree Wilson (23 career starts) and Patterson (26 career starts, led nation with 7 INT's in '22) should emerge this season as starters and leaders among this group. Davis (three starts at Clemson in '22) should be in the mix at the corner position opposite Patterson along with Thornton, Adams, etc. Mask (45 career games played) is another experienced newcomer that will likely factor into UCF's plans at safety opposite Wilson, along with Ware, Martinez, etc. It will be interesting to see if highly-touted JUCO DB transfer Ja'Maric Morris (6-2/205) can land in the two-deep as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: knight_tracker
Top returners
Quadric Bullard (SR), 6-0/170, career (19 starts at UCF): 123 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 FF, 3 FR's
Corey Thornton (SR), 6-1/190, career (27 starts at UCF): 111 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, 1 INT
Jarvis Ware (5th), 6-1/190, career (6 starts at UCF): 91 tackles, 1 FR, 1 INT
Brandon Adams (JR), 6-3/180, career (10 starts at UCF): 53 tackles

Of all the Knights' 2023 units, UCF's secondary will look the most madeover and revamped this upcoming season. Starters D. Brown (transferred), J. Hodges (dismissed from team), and D. Wilson (graduated) have moved on, as well as part-time starter last season K. Perry (graduated). And top returner Q. Bullard, who had a standout sophomore season in 2021, suffered a season-ending knee injury in early November of '22 (at Memphis). After starting 10 games as a true freshmen in 2020, C. Thornton had a miserable sophomore season that ultimately led to him losing his job in '21. To his credit, he had a very solid bounce-back junior season (49 tackles, 7 PD's) - outplaying his counter-part Brown on the outside. Adams is a solid depth-corner that has made spot starts over both his true freshmen and sophomore seasons. Ware, a local-product who has played at the college-level since 2018 (transferred from Missouri), has struggled with various injuries throughout his career (but made six starts at safety last season after Bullard went down).

It goes without saying that UCF is well-stocked with young players in their secondary as well. Local Central Florida prep standouts J. Henderson (RS FR), D. Henderson (SO), N. Martinez (SO), and B. Marshall (FR) will be in the mix this season, it just remains to be seen how much time on the field these emerging prospects will grab.

Top newcomers
Fred Davis (SR), 6-1/200 (transferred from Clemson, 34 career tackles)
DeJordan Mask (5th), 6-1/180 (transferred from Texas State, 136 tackles, 4 INT's in career)
Decorian Patterson (R-SR), 6-0/193 (from MTSU, 183 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 FF, 9 INT's in career)
Jireh Wilson (5th), 6-3/220 (from East Carolina, 190 tackles, 6.0 sacks, 3 FF, 3 INT's in career)

With everything UCF had to replace from last season, the staff clearly made the secondary a priority when it came to the portal market. With their experience and pedigree Wilson (23 career starts) and Patterson (26 career starts, led nation with 7 INT's in '22) should emerge this season as starters and leaders among this group. Davis (three starts at Clemson in '22) should be in the mix at the corner position opposite Patterson along with Thornton, Adams, etc. Mask (45 career games played) is another experienced newcomer that will likely factor into UCF's plans at safety opposite Wilson, along with Ware, Martinez, etc. It will be interesting to see if highly-touted JUCO DB transfer Ja'Maric Morris (6-2/205) can land in the two-deep as well.
This is the most intriguing position group on the roster.

Unless y'all know something I don't...

Nikia Martinez (5-11, 170) and Breaden Marshall (5-10, 175) will play weak safely (Knight) over slots and tight ends. Quadric Bullard (6-0, 170) will play strong safety on the opposite side. DeJordan Mask (5-11, 190) who has great footwork, tackling ability, and covering skills, but limited top end speed will be the backup. Jirah Wilson (6-3, 219) was a huge get at free safety. Reserves Jarvis Ware (6-1, 190) and maybe Damari Henderson (6-0, 160) are capable of starting. Decorion Patterson (6-0, 193) will play over the split end.

But...

I really don't know who will ultimately be reserves or the starter opposite Patterson. This position looks to be the biggest weakness of the UCF defense. There are a bunch of guys vying, but none are head and shoulders, save Brandon Adams (6-3, 180) physically, over anyone else. Fred Davis (6-0, 200), Corey Thompson (6-2, 190), and Ja'Maric Morris (6-2, 205) are carving out roles. I don't think this position will be decided until late October or early November. Quarterback play aside, this cornerback spot can be the position that keeps UCF out of upper tier bowl.
Any team loaded at receiver can take advantage, and the Big12 top to bottom has the best receivers in college football.

Bullard and Mask will be great in 2 high. Free safety looks great. Knight, batting injury, is solid. I just don't know who things will shake out at corner. Remember: Adams was "the guy" last year until he wasn't.

As a former secondary coach, I can tell you from experience you can't just throw sh*t (Adams, Davis, Thompson, Morris, etc.) against the wall on the weakside of an offense and expect it to stick. The world is full of average people, but you don't want one at corner. The ball always finds the weak spot. Always!

Last edited:
This is the most intriguing position group on the roster.

Unless y'all know something I don't...

Nikia Martinez (5-11, 170) and Breaden Marshall (5-10, 175) will play weak safely (Knight) over slots and tight ends. Quadric Bullard (6-0, 170) will play strong safety on the opposite side. DeJordan Mask (5-11, 190) who has great footwork, tackling ability, and covering skills, but limited top end speed will be the backup. Jirah Wilson (6-3, 219) was a huge get at free safety. Reserves Jarvis Ware (6-1, 190) and maybe Damari Henderson (6-0, 160) are capable of starting. Decorion Patterson (6-0, 193) will play over the split end.

But...

I really don't know who will ultimately be reserves or the starter opposite Patterson. This position looks to be the biggest weakness of the UCF defense. There are a bunch of guys vying, but none are head and shoulders, save Brandon Adams (6-3, 180) physically, over anyone else. Fred Davis (6-0, 200), Corey Thompson (6-2, 190), and Ja'Maric Morris (6-2, 205) are carving out roles. I don't think this position will be decided until late October or early November. Quarterback play aside, this cornerback spot can be the position that keeps UCF out of upper tier bowl.
Any team loaded at receiver can take advantage, and the Big12 top to bottom has the best receivers in college football.

Bullard and Mask will be great in 2 high. Free safety looks great. Knight, batting injury, is solid. I just don't know who things will shake out at corner. Remember: Adams was "the guy" last year until he wasn't.

As a former secondary coach, I can tell you from experience you can't just throw sh*t (Adams, Davis, Thompson, Morris, etc.) against the wall on the weakside of an offense and expect it to stick. The world is full of average people, but you don't want one at corner. The ball always finds the weak spot. Always!
Obviously we don’t know until we see them take the field, but I would imagine Wilson is going to be utilized more as a box strong safety (not free safety). At 6-3/220, he has more size than some of our LB’s, a position (LB) he also played at ECU. Again, we don’t know yet how the staff will stack them, but I see Bullard (when healthy), D. Henderson, and Mask playing more free safety (Ware can swing between both safety positions).

Complete shot in the dark, but depth chart could look like…
CB - Patterson, Adams or J. Henderson
CB - Thornton or Davis
Nickel - Martinez, Marshall
S - Wilson, Ware
S - Mask or Henderson, Bullard (INJ)

Obviously we don’t know until we see them take the field, but I would imagine Wilson is going to be utilized more as a box strong safety (not free safety). At 6-3/220, he has more size than some of our LB’s, a position (LB) he also played at ECU. Again, we don’t know yet how the staff will stack them, but I see Bullard (when healthy), D. Henderson, and Mask playing more free safety (Ware can swing between both safety positions).

CB - Thornton or Davis
S - Wilson, Ware
Huge potential for creating turnovers with this group. The competition is significant so the starters will be those that not only are good tacklers and defenders but can also create turnovers. That's going to be the biggest difference from last year to this year.

Reactions: KnightLife1

CB - Thornton or Davis
S - Wilson, Ware

The Knights position is set barring injury.

No. 1 corner is set.

Bullard should be the free safety. He has always played free safety at UCF. He was all conference at free safety. Mask played free safety at Texas State. He has the best footwork of all the safeties. He will need to play at more depth due to his lack of foot speed. I have no idea why they are listed at strong safety on depth charts. But they are. Even video depth charts (referenced below) list them at strong safety. They 'should be' free safeties. I will leave it at that.

Wilson should be the strong safety. In the interviews (which do not mean anything) they talked about him roaming the middle at free safety. He belongs in the box. He should replace Divaad Wilson. I do not know who the reserve is here.

Everything else is up the air.

To your point, Jarvis Ware has played everywhere. He is the Ed Collins of the secondary. He started six games at free safety when Bullard was injured. He was serviceable at worst. I do not know where he fits. Demari Henderson is a free safety, but he is listed as the backup to Wilson at free safety in the video referenced below.

The other corner position is an enigma. Guesses are all over the place. I've heard Adams, Thornton, and Morris.

If I were making the depth chart, it would read

Knight: Martinez, Marshall, Morris
FS: Bullard, Ware, D Henderson
SS: Wilson, Mask (foot speed) or possibly Morris
CB: Patterson, Davis, J. Henderson
CB: Adams, Thornton, J Henderson

Ware is best at free safety. Mask needs to play, and if Bullard is good to go, I put Mask in the box. I also look at Morris in the box at Knight or at strong safety as well. I put both the transfers and returnees together at corner and let them duke it out. Thornton was statistically the most successful corner at UCF last season, but I give it Adams because of his size (which is what happened last season). I will ultimately hand it over to Thornton (which is also what happened last season). Then, I give it back to Adams again.

However, I don't understand interviews like this...

Last edited:
This position group may change over the course of the season. I can see the upperclassmen given the opportunity early but higher ceiking talent like braeden and nikai taking over starting roles as season progresses

Nikai said he was working at S not Knight position and that he was making the calls in the secondary. That leads me to believe Quadric isn’t 100% healthy to start the season. We will find this week but I’m leaning toward:
FS: Martinez
SS: Wilson
CB: Patterson
CB: Adams/Thornton
Knight: ?????

Nikai said he was working at S not Knight position and that he was making the calls in the secondary. That leads me to believe Quadric isn’t 100% healthy to start the season. We will find this week but I’m leaning toward:
FS: Martinez
SS: Wilson
CB: Patterson
CB: Adams/Thornton
Knight: ?????
If Martinez is at FS, it means Mask is not a Power 5 starter at safety, Henderson isn't ready, and Bullard is injured.

Reactions: ReturnOf and tjb74
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT