ADVERTISEMENT

247 Sports Predicts UCF wins the AAC, Heupel Leaves

I could see that happening but I also think Heup knows a good thing when he sees it (unlike Frosty who saw it but still left to try and fulfill some life-long dream of coaching his alma mater), especially at the QB position. He's potentially got a battle brewing between DG and KZ, or not. Even if KZ can't play/compete for the job, he's got DG returning and it sure did look like there was still a lot of upside for him (Utilizing the whole field and being able to hit more secondary and tertiary targets, the game "slowing down", completing a better %, understanding and reading defenses, scrambling more when it makes sense, etc...). All things you would hope a QB becomes better at over time.

If he makes a big leap (and plays more at the "Sophomore or Junior KZ level") he might want to stick around and run that to ground, at least for another year. (I mean, seriously, if KZ doesn't wreck his knee we could be on 39 game win streak going into this season. With KZ playing we beat that LSU squad.....no way he throws 11 of 30 for 120 yds (32 on the play right before half), including only 5 yds passing in the second half...it would have been a completely different game. Even in the worst-case scenario we are 37-2 and would have played in 3 straight BCS bowls.

That would mean DG would be getting his first crack at starting this season, though, and like last year I would have expected 2-3 losses out of that, so the situation might be very different if that alternate universe had played out. He might already be gone or might leave after one season of playing with DG....which that was a stellar first season for any QB to have, never mind that he was a true freshman doing it.

Also, depending on what happens with this season money might be a lot tighter than imagined for almost all programs, and those super, top-notch programs already all have head coaches that don't even know a "hot seat" exists at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beach Knight
I could see that happening but I also think Heup knows a good thing when he sees it (unlike Frosty who saw it but still left to try and fulfill some life-long dream of coaching his alma mater), especially at the QB position. He's potentially got a battle brewing between DG and KZ, or not. Even if KZ can't play/compete for the job, he's got DG returning and it sure did look like there was still a lot of upside for him (Utilizing the whole field and being able to hit more secondary and tertiary targets, the game "slowing down", completing a better %, understanding and reading defenses, scrambling more when it makes sense, etc...). All things you would hope a QB becomes better at over time.

If he makes a big leap (and plays more at the "Sophomore or Junior KZ level") he might want to stick around and run that to ground, at least for another year. (I mean, seriously, if KZ doesn't wreck his knee we could be on 39 game win streak going into this season. With KZ playing we beat that LSU squad.....no way he throws 11 of 30 for 120 yds (32 on the play right before half), including only 5 yds passing in the second half...it would have been a completely different game. Even in the worst-case scenario we are 37-2 and would have played in 3 straight BCS bowls.

That would mean DG would be getting his first crack at starting this season, though, and like last year I would have expected 2-3 losses out of that, so the situation might be very different if that alternate universe had played out. He might already be gone or might leave after one season of playing with DG....which that was a stellar first season for any QB to have, never mind that he was a true freshman doing it.

Also, depending on what happens with this season money might be a lot tighter than imagined for almost all programs, and those super, top-notch programs already all have head coaches that don't even know a "hot seat" exists at this point.

Its about the money.

Except whoever replaces Nevelle Clark at the other corner this year. I doubt that player will be a senior. It might be one of the Jucos we signed this last cycle.
I was thinking BAM, Gowan, Collier, A-Rob, and Grant would be our top 5 DBs.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Right.

Gowan was one of the best cover CBs in the conference last year according to PFF, who had him on their all-conference 2nd team, and he only started because Moore went down early in Game 1.

If Moore is healthy, he and Gowan are our top CBs, and we have A-Rob in the Nickel slot, with Grant and Collier as our safeties.

That's a ridiculously stacked top 5 in the secondary.

Right.

Gowan was one of the best cover CBs in the conference last year according to PFF, who had him on their all-conference 2nd team, and he only started because Moore went down early in Game 1.

If Moore is healthy, he and Gowan are our top CBs, and we have A-Rob in the Nickel slot, with Grant and Collier as our safeties.

That's a ridiculously stacked top 5 in the secondary.
Agreed. Honestly, on paper, 2020 should be one of the very best defenses UCF has EVER fielded. Only real major contributors we lost were Hayes, Evans, and Clarke, and we should still be strong at those positions.

That is why I think this year is make-or break for Heup. If we don't win the AAC and make noise in a NY6 bowl, Heup's offense just isn't good enough in my opinion. I don't care where our stats end up except against the few top 40 defenses we will play.

Agreed. Honestly, on paper, 2020 should be one of the very best defenses UCF has EVER fielded. Only real major contributors we lost were Hayes, Evans, and Clarke, and we should still be strong at those positions.

That is why I think this year is make-or break for Heup. If we don't win the AAC and make noise in a NY6 bowl, Heup's offense just isn't good enough in my opinion. I don't care where our stats end up except against the few top 40 defenses we will play.
This^^^ 100%.

I know someone will ask, so I'll add that I know Heup isn't getting fired if we go 10-3 this year. That isn't the point. No matter what, he is a good coach that gets wins and does a great job at connecting with, leading, and developing young men.
I didn't know about his connection with Nate Evans until the bowl game but seeing it told me a lot about Heup.

Reactions: shacket

This “on paper best ever position group” statement scares me after people said that about our Oline last year.

This “on paper best ever position group” statement scares me after people said that about our Oline last year.
I never really understood that one. We lost Wyatt before last year which was big and we were moving people around positions, it just didn't make that much sense to me.

This year literally almost every single defensive starter is a solid proven commodity. I really don't expect a dropoff from last year (which was really a great year for our defense, and they easily played well enough for 13-0). Games we lost were based on turnovers, freshman QB gets a pass, but this year I expect to win the AAC, period. Less is not good enough barring unforseen circumstances.

Our defense definitely has issues regarding getting to the quarterback. Our leading sack producer was B Hayes with 7.5 sacks. He is now gone. The next highest sack producer had only 3.5 sacks over the entire year. Losing B. Hayes is a gap that needs to be addressed. Hopefully, Ray Cutts or Hester can step up and give us that second big DE who can get to the QB AND be strong against the run.

Our defense definitely has issues regarding getting to the quarterback. Our leading sack producer was B Hayes with 7.5 sacks. He is now gone. The next highest sack producer had only 3.5 sacks over the entire year. Losing B. Hayes is a gap that needs to be addressed. Hopefully, Ray Cutts or Hester can step up and give us that second big DE who can get to the QB AND be strong against the run.
We will start:

DE: Tre'mon Morris Brash
DT: Kalia Davis
DT: Kenny Turnier
DE: Randy Charlton

And our production will be even better this year than last. This is what the prophesy says.

Edit: I also think Hester will play DT not DE

I'm not sure if BAM is healthy enough to start yet despite his recent social media posts. However, even if he does come back this year, he will have a 6th year available which I would hope that he would come back to use.
I think the JUCO corner Emmanuel Appiah could surprise people. He already has some experience and was pretty good in coverage. 8 ints including a pick six

Reactions: KnightLife1
We will start:

DE: Tre'mon Morris Brash
DT: Kalia Davis
DT: Kenny Turnier
DE: Randy Charlton

And our production will be even better this year than last. This is what the prophesy says.

Edit: I also think Hester will play DT not DE
I am wondering what Hester will play this year. He has been listed as a defensive end and as a defensive tackle sometimes. He has played both in high school. His weight at 275 lb is sufficient to play tackle in high school but he still needs to gain weight to play defensive tackle at this level. He could play defensive end at his size at this level currently and move to defensive tackle when he gains another 15 or 20 lb.

At 235 to 240 lb, Tremon Morris Brash is excellent on passing downs and does get pressure on the quarterback. However, at that weight, he is not as strong against the run, like Brendan Hayes was at 295 pounds on the end. At 240 lb on the end, not only Morris-Brash, but our other defensive ends who weigh around 240 lb, are a magnet for running plays being run at them because they are not big enough to stop the run. If you will notice when they are in on the ends they are giving up ground immediately because they're not strong enough against a 300-pound or 310-pound offensive tackle. B.Hayes did not have this problem. That is why I mentioned that we need defensive ends who are strong against the pass AND against the run.

Our 240lb DEs ARE effective on passing Downs due to their athleticism. However, on running plays, offenses can go after them to exploit their smaller size.

Last edited:
I am wondering what Hester will play this year. He has been listed as a defensive end and as a defensive tackle sometimes. He has played both in high school. His weight at 275 lb is sufficient to play tackle in high school but he still needs to gain weight to play defensive tackle at this level. He could play defensive end at his size at this level currently and move to defensive tackle when he games another 15 or 20 lb.

At 235 to 240 lb, Tremon Morris Brash is excellent on passing downs and does get pressure on the quarterback. However, at that weight, he is not as strong against the run, like Brendan Hayes was at 295 pounds on the end. At 240 lb on the end, not only Morris-Brash, but our other defensive ends who weigh around 240 lb, are a magnet for running plays being run at them because they are not big enough to stop the run. If you will notice when they are in on the ends they are giving up ground immediately because they're not strong enough against a 300-pound or 310-pound offensive tackle. B.Hayes did not have this problem. That is why I mentioned that we need defensive ends who are strong against the pass AND against the run.

Our 240lb DEs ARE effective on passing Downs due to their athleticism. However, on running plays, offenses can go after them to exploit their smaller size.
Dallaz Corbitt looks about 260 to me now and he has a lot more speed than Hester. I would like to see Corbitt, Brash, Charlton, and Cutts rotating at DE situationally. We usually rotate a lot at those spots anyway.

Dallaz Corbitt looks about 260 to me now and he has a lot more speed than Hester. I would like to see Corbitt, Brash, Charlton, and Cutts rotating at DE situationally. We usually rotate a lot at those spots anyway.
Yes Dallas Corbett is noted as being quite promising. Also, Ray Cutts is up to 277 lbs as of a few weeks ago. If he can play at 280 it would be interesting to see what he can do on the edge. Tremon is great as a pass rusher but like you point out, we will rotate, probably with a player who is likely to be a larger DE.

ADVERTISEMENT