ADVERTISEMENT

75 years ago today.

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
The US had basically crippled Japan over the prior few months with fire bombing Tokyo. 2 days earlier we dropped the biggest bomb in history and Japan was ready to concede. Today is the day we decided to send a message and do it again. It wasnt necessary to win the war, but the US wanted the entire world to know they shouldn't fvck with us. We killed a lot of people that didn't have to die to send that message.

Was it the right thing to do?

It was a brutal choice with unfathomable consequences.

Was it the necessary thing to do?

Those questions might have different answers. After living through the war in Europe, it may have seemed like the correct, or necessary, choice.
I wasn't alive. I'm not going to judge that moment with the benefit of hindsight. But, I do know it was brutal and I will never celebrate that moment. Winning a war by taking the most drastic measure in history isn't something to be proud of.

The US had basically crippled Japan over the prior few months with fire bombing Tokyo. 2 days earlier we dropped the biggest bomb in history and Japan was ready to concede. Today is the day we decided to send a message and do it again. It wasnt necessary to win the war, but the US wanted the entire world to know they shouldn't fvck with us. We killed a lot of people that didn't have to die to send that message.

Japan either did not understand how much destruction the first bomb caused and it’s ramifications in a timely manner or they were too stubborn and proud to EVER surrender. Before anymore American soldiers would die, they needed that second bomb. They were given enough time. The Japanese were brutal towards us and luckily Truman and a lot of Americans could care less about waiting any longer. Was it 3 days???? That’s plenty of time to surrender

Japan either did not understand how much destruction the first bomb caused and it’s ramifications in a timely manner or they were too stubborn and proud to EVER surrender. Before anymore American soldiers would die, they needed that second bomb. They were given enough time. The Japanese were brutal towards us and luckily Truman and a lot of Americans could care less about waiting any longer. Was it 3 days???? That’s plenty of time to surrender
They were actually negotiating with us on the terms of surrender for about a week already. The Russians had already invaded and Japan knew they were done.

Japan was not going to surrender after the first bomb. The US would have lost 10's of thousands of soldiers slowly taking Japan. I think dropping the second was the best and only choice for us. Was it horrific? Yes. Would I ever want to do that again? No.

They were actually negotiating with us on the terms of surrender for about a week already. The Russians had already invaded and Japan knew they were done.
Must not have been a very convincing negotiation session

Reactions: Crazyhole
Yes. We were estimated to lose a million men invading Japan OR we would have had to shared Japan with the Soviets like we did in Germany.

ADVERTISEMENT