ADVERTISEMENT

80,000 Disney Hourly Employees get free college tuition

This is why I fully contest this idea that wages aren't going up fast enough and therefore workers are getting stiffed. It's been proven that non-wage benefits are increasing at historically high rates and companies are spending big on those areas.

Wal Mart is doing the same where college for their employees is near nothing.

Wal Mart is doing the same where college for their employees is near nothing.

Sorry but are you talking about the same Walmart that claims to be too poor to give their lower level employees a living wage? But on the other hand, they are more than happy to help them file for welfare on our government's dime. Ain't that sweet of them!!!

It's estimated that Walmart employees on welfare (yes, employees) cost the U.S. taxpayer 6.2 Billion dollars.

Sorry but are you talking about the same Walmart that claims to be too poor to give their lower level employees a living wage? But on the other hand, they are more than happy to help them file for welfare on our government's dime. Ain't that sweet of them!!!

It's estimated that Walmart employees on welfare (yes, employees) cost the U.S. taxpayer 6.2 Billion dollars.

Who claimed that Wal-Mart is too poor? It isn't Wal-Mart's job to pay cashiers $40K a year. They pay the market rate for jobs and exactly in line with Target and other retailers (maybe not Costco). The irony of you saying that Wal-Mart is costing the US Taxpayers money is ridiculous. They pay 2.5% dividends (taxed) and corporate taxes. They have tons of 6 figure jobs (also taxed). They are also able to get lower prices vs Amazon and Target in general. So if you talking about helping the poor...low prices is good right?

This is the kind of crap that is preached by SJW. Wal-Marts job is to generate profits and reward shareholders.

Who claimed that Wal-Mart is too poor? It isn't Wal-Mart's job to pay cashiers $40K a year. They pay the market rate for jobs and exactly in line with Target and other retailers (maybe not Costco). The irony of you saying that Wal-Mart is costing the US Taxpayers money is ridiculous. They pay 2.5% dividends (taxed) and corporate taxes. They have tons of 6 figure jobs (also taxed). They are also able to get lower prices vs Amazon and Target in general. So if you talking about helping the poor...low prices is good right?

This is the kind of crap that is preached by SJW. Wal-Marts job is to generate profits and reward shareholders.
If it wasn't for the Walmart jobs, it would cost taxpayers a lot more than $6.2 billion.

If it wasn't for the Walmart jobs, it would cost taxpayers a lot more than $6.2 billion.

They generate billions of tax dollars. They also help poorer clients get access to lower priced goods. The notion that the $6.2 billion in additional free cheese wouldn't be hit if the Wal-Mart job wasn't available is a lie. They would have the same thing going at Target, Kohl's, Dick's, etc. These are the lowest skilled workers.

Reactions: fabknight
Who claimed that Wal-Mart is too poor? ...
This is the kind of crap that is preached by SJW.

Once upon a time, a full-time job provided you with a salary you could actually live on. Pardon me for "preaching the kind of crap" that says we taxpayers shouldn't be subsidizing Walmart salaries of some of its full-time employees.

Once upon a time, a full-time job provided you with a salary you could actually live on. Pardon me for "preaching the kind of crap" that says we taxpayers shouldn't be subsidizing Walmart salaries of some of its full-time employees.
I love the intentional misapplication of the term subsidy.

I love the intentional misapplication of the term subsidy.

Please educate me. Webster's call a subsidy "a sum of money granted by the government to assist a business so that the price remains low or competitive." When employees are receiving salary supplements from U.S. Taxpayers instead of Walmart, how would you define it?

Please educate me. Webster's call a subsidy "a sum of money granted by the government to assist a business so that the price remains low or competitive." When employees are receiving salary supplements from U.S. Taxpayers instead of Walmart, how would you define it?

How many people do you think should be making CAREERS out of working at Wal Mart?

How many people do you think should be making CAREERS out of working at Wal Mart?

Everyone should make $100K and live in the land of unicorns. Hate to break it to you but cashiers are never going to be a high paying job. These same "poor" folks have Iphones. It is the individuals part to better themselves so they aren't in a job that can be replaced by literally anyone that walks in the door.

Exactly. If you want to use the term subsidy, you're subsidizing the people who chose not to develop skills that were more valuable than the Wal Mart job and who are unwilling or unable to work enough hours to meet their needs and are unwilling or unable to live a lifestyle that does not require welfare.

The purpose of a subsidy is to ensure the availability of a product. We subsidize agriculture to ensure that supply meets demand and to ensure that foreign producers or market forces don't put our domestic production capability out of business. Sometimes subsidies are grants and those come with strings attached. There is one more category where government subsidizes it's own services to make them cheaper. This is none of those.

But you don't have to take it from me: https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwor...rofits-of-walmart-and-mcdonalds/#34ea8432389a

What about all the mom and pops shops that barely break even that also pay $10 per hour for cashiers. Want them to also be government forced to pay even more?

Venezuela is a great place for you to visit for these ideas..

Reactions: UCFWayne

Hate to break the news to you but there are an awfully lot of people who are making CAREERS out of working front-line positions at places like Walmart, McDonalds, and your local grocery story chain.

Everyone should make $100K and live in the land of unicorns.

LOL You gotta love the over-the-top hyperbole. Walmart cashiers make $18,000 a year.

Hate to break the news to you but there are an awfully lot of people who are making CAREERS out of working front-line positions at places like Walmart, McDonalds, and your local grocery story chain.

LOL You gotta love the over-the-top hyperbole. Walmart cashiers make $18,000 a year.

$18K sounds about right for a cashier right? Unfortunately it will always be the case that people with the less skills will be in low paying jobs. It isn't like it has to be a career. You can go to trade schools at night or heaven forbid try to become a manager a one of these retail stores and get paid decent money.

Why should being a cashier be a career? For Christ’s sakes, I know guys with no education who can barely speak who own their own trade business and make $80,000 a year.

Smh

Why should being a cashier be a career?

Why shouldn't it be a career? If it's a full-time, front-line job, why shouldn't it pay enough to keep the employee off welfare for crying out loud? Isn't that the least an employer like Walmart should do?

When I was 16 yrs old, my first job was at Disney in Merchandise working a register at Pirates earning $3.80 per hour. I worked full-time every summer and every holiday.

If I still did that today, would Disney be responsible for paying me a nice salary so I can own a white picket fence home in Celebration OR....was working a cash register a stepping stone job to better things with continued education degrees and work experience?

When I was 16 yrs old, my first job was at Disney in Merchandise working a register at Pirates earning $3.80 per hour. I worked full-time every summer and every holiday.

If I still did that today, would Disney be responsible for paying me a nice salary so I can own a white picket fence home in Celebration OR....was working a cash register a stepping stone job to better things with continued education degrees and work experience?

I know this may come as a shock, but not every person working full-time (summer and holidays) is a teenager continuing his education.

The thing about it is that most employers avoid any controversy about pay and benefits by hiring teenagers as temporary full-time employees. But in situations where year-around, full-time cashiers are required, employees working those jobs should be given a living wage.

Again, we're not talking riches here, but I'm thinking Walmart could afford to bump up their $18,000 a year cashier salaries at least enough so that taxpayers don't have to kick in welfare benefits for hard working, full-time employees for crying out loud.

Based on their income not meeting all their cash demands, they ought to be intelligent enough figure out that it is extremely difficult to earn a good living as a cashier. This should serve as some motivation in my mind.

Why shouldn't it be a career? If it's a full-time, front-line job, why shouldn't it pay enough to keep the employee off welfare for crying out loud? Isn't that the least an employer like Walmart should do?

Why the hell are you singling out Wal-Mart? They pay a minimum of $10 per hour which is higher than a lot of retail with no skill needed. Why not Target? Why not every single mall shop? Give me a break! The company is there to make a profit. Just another SJW singling out Wal-Mart for no reason. Here is a lesson in capitalism. You better create a skill set. You don't even need to be that smart. Just be good at one thing!

This is why I fully contest this idea that wages aren't going up fast enough and therefore workers are getting stiffed. It's been proven that non-wage benefits are increasing at historically high rates and companies are spending big on those areas.

No. The reason you contest the idea is because you are ignorant.
These is plenty of evidence to support the claim that you ignorantly reject.
...and is there really "proven" that non-wage benefits are increasing at historically high rates?

Comes a long way from
"Disgruntled Disney workers have dubbed the parks ‘Mousewitz’ because they were so unhappy with working conditions.

And ‘cast members’ at Disneyland Paris earlier this year started referring to it as the ‘unhappiest place on Earth’ following the *suicide of three workers.

Union leader Guy-Bruno Mboe called work conditions ‘brutal’ and complained: ‘It’s all about profit, profit, profit.’"

Working for Disney? I'd rather be in Afghanistan | Mail Online

Unless its being a cashier or a fry cook.

That isn't a marketable skill, dude. They hire people to be a fry cook that are 16 years old and never had a job before.

I have news for you .... and you may want to sit down for this one ... if you are making a career out of a job they can hire somebody who has NEVER HAD A JOB BEFORE IN THEIR LIFE, then you are mistaking a "career" for a dead end job.

The economy has changed over the last 100 years. The same jobs that paid your mortgage in the 50's don't pay your mortgage in 2018.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT