ADVERTISEMENT

$892 Million Rays Ybor City Ballpark Renderings

Poolside Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Apr 2, 2007
Dhw6djZW4AEN3tn.jpg

Dhw6djbX0AAbw57.jpg

Dhw6djbX4AEmrsF.jpg

The design elements of the stadium unveiled Tuesday were dramatic and eye-catching, following the basic coda to "bring the outside in.''

They aren't going to do everything the way you may have hoped, or, to be honest, the way they hoped. The roof won't be retractable and the playing surface will be synthetic turf not natural grass.

But what they showed off Tuesday sure looked promising, aiming to be ready for opening say 2023, which isn't as far away as it sounds.

Mostly because of how much you can see.

Glass exterior walls, with sections that will slide open, like giant French doors, behind home plate and centerfield, offering views of Ybor City to one side and the downtown skyline to the other (oriented so pitchers aren't looking into the setting sun, and so the lower side melds into the Ybor neighborhood), plus fresh air on cool-enough days

A translucent — though not retractable — roof, higher, less opaque and without the underpinnings and dreaded catwalks of the Trop. Concepts for multi-tiered seating and gathering spots that include fountain, picnic, sandbox areas, 17 total. Intimate views throughout as it will be the smallest park in the majors, with 28,216 seats and a total capacity of 30,842 (just less than the current Trop configuration).

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018/07/10/peeking-inside-the-rays-stadium-plans/

It’d amazing.

But when they realize that Tampa isn’t going to pay for it, as they shouldn’t, this will be scoped way down to something in the $500M range tops

love the translucent roof along with the outfield windows & behind home plate concourse windows being able to open. It's the best way to build a ballpark with Florida summer weather and still get some natural light in.

Great idea putting it in Ybor. I can say that I've never been to a bball game at the Trop. Simply because it's a PITA to do so. Ybor will make it much more accessible for Orlando folk.

Great idea putting it in Ybor. I can say that I've never been to a bball game at the Trop. Simply because it's a PITA to do so. Ybor will make it much more accessible for Orlando folk.
especially if High Speed Rail is back on the table. The Ybor location will make a massive difference and draw from South Orlando/Kissimmee

especially if High Speed Rail is back on the table. The Ybor location will make a massive difference and draw from South Orlando/Kissimmee

There are people in Tampa who bitch about having to go to St Pete and won't do the 30 minute drive. I'm highly doubting that people are going to frequently make the 90 minute drive from Orlando. Maybe a few times a year.

That said, the Ybor location should draw from a bigger swath of populace in and around Tampa.

Doubtful, it may be closer to Tampa but the traffic will be impossible for many north of I-275.

looks awesome but lol at that price. that is not goign to happen. as 85 said, if they bring it down to around $500m its got a good chance of being built

How is it going to be set up for the bowl game of the fifth place AAC team against the MAC third place?

Reactions: UCFWayne
There are people in Tampa who bitch about having to go to St Pete and won't do the 30 minute drive. I'm highly doubting that people are going to frequently make the 90 minute drive from Orlando. Maybe a few times a year.

That said, the Ybor location should draw from a bigger swath of populace in and around Tampa.
Yet we Pinellas people have no problem driving to Amalie. I guess it just comes down to hockey > baseball.

Yet we Pinellas people have no problem driving to Amalie. I guess it just comes down to hockey > baseball.

They're just whiners over in Tampa. Not to mention, traffic is always bad flowing into Tampa and basically never bad flowing out towards Pinellas at rush hour. Trying to get over the Howard Frankland and into Tampa any time past 4:30 is a disaster. Yet I can land at TPA and drive home to St Pete over the same bridge at 5 pm and not hit any traffic at all.

I do think Tampa Bay is oversaturated as a Pro market and you add the transplants that factors in to the attendance problem possibly more than talked about but could also help if you have a ballpark that isn't a dump and more of a tourist destination(for NY and Boston fans to fly down for a series).

A new baseball stadium will never be built. I'll happily strip down and be the first streaker if it ever does.

A new baseball stadium will never be built. I'll happily strip down and be the first streaker if it ever does.

Disagree. There's enough broad based support from Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete to keep the Rays here that something will get done. Maybe not by way of cities directly funding it but something creative will get done - and I think the ballpark will be scaled back considerably to something more simple.

I really don't see any other city out there being willing to fork over the funds for the stadium, so the Rays management will just have to find a way to do it here.

ADVERTISEMENT