ADVERTISEMENT

9 dead, 26 injured in a shooting in Dayton, Ohio

I saw a tweet earlier that said the police actually made a statement that there were lots of armed people, and it actually made it more difficult to be able to identify the shooter. I didnt hear the statement and obviously twitter isnt always reliable, but I did read that.

There are certainly situations where a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun. However, we have more guns than any country in the world and we are one of the most violent nations in the world. The shooter in Dayton was shot about a minute after he started shooting, but was still able to kill 9 people and injure over 20 more. There is absolutely no evidence that an armed public makes us safer. The evidence actually shows the complete opposite.
No, we are not one of the most violent nations in the world. Thats just a lazy talking point that isn't supported by any evidence. There are a handful of violent areas in large cities in this country but 99% of us never deal with violent crime in our lives. And before you bring out some statistical BS about gun related deaths, 60% of gun deaths are suicides with only a single victim and that number rarely wavers.

Reactions: UCFWayne
We are an armed public and we are one of the most violent nations on the planet. If more guns made us safer, we would be the safest country in the world.

No we are not one of the “most violent” in the world. Once again you are asserting things that you don’t understand

You can’t even find me one basic study on how many crimes have been stopped by a legally armed citizen. You aren’t trying. You’ve made your mind up and don’t care about looking elsewhere

No, we are not one of the most violent nations in the world. Thats just a lazy talking point that isn't supported by any evidence. There are a handful of violent areas in large cities in this country but 99% of us never deal with violent crime in our lives. And before you bring out some statistical BS about gun related deaths, 60% of gun deaths are suicides with only a single victim and that number rarely wavers.

We are 2nd in the world total # of gun deaths and and 20th per capita. And pretty much every country ahead of us are poor or 3rd world countries. IT most certainly is not just a talking point.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health...king-of-gun-deaths-heres-where-the-u-s-stands

Reactions: Poolside Knight
No we are not one of the “most violent” in the world. Once again you are asserting things that you don’t understand

You can’t even find me one basic study on how many crimes have been stopped by a legally armed citizen. You aren’t trying. You’ve made your mind up and don’t care about looking elsewhere

WHy dont you provide the study? I am not here to do your homework. If you have a point to make, then provide your support.

And we are 2nd in the world in total # of gun deaths and 20th per capita. We are most certainly one of the most violent nations on the planet.

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/29/17792776/us-gun-deaths-global

The US and 5 other countries combine for half the gun deaths world wide.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
We are 2nd in the world total # of gun deaths and and 20th per capita. And pretty much every country ahead of us are poor or 3rd world countries. IT most certainly is not just a talking point.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health...king-of-gun-deaths-heres-where-the-u-s-stands

Hey look you fell for lies and propaganda again.

50% of those are suicides. Deaths that are down by mentally ill people where the method is irrelevant given that Japan has the highest rate in the world and has no access to firearms

You’re continually duped by our dogshit media

The political argument isn’t working

The arm citizens argument doesn’t work.

We can’t remove all guns

So.., what do we know? What is left?

Guns kill people

Some guns kill a lot more people than others.

Crazy people with guns are killing a lot of people.

Take it from there

Hey look you fell for lies and propaganda again.

50% of those are suicides. Deaths that are down by mentally ill people where the method is irrelevant given that Japan has the highest rate in the world and has no access to firearms

You’re continually duped by our dogshit media

Suicides are still gun deaths, I dont understand why you think that is propaganda. I am not being duped by anything, you are just in denial.

Suicides are still gun deaths, I dont understand why you think that is propaganda. I am not being duped by anything, you are just in denial.

Bullshit. You post those numbers like the media does with no caveat. You want us to believe those are all homicides and mass shootings.

52% of those are suicides which require a conversation on “why are they doing this” and not what method they’re choosing.

It’s a pathetic cherry picked figure

Meh.., I’ve been all over the world. Americans are violent. Why? I don’t know. I don’t need any study

Bullshit. You post those numbers like the media does with no caveat. You want us to believe those are all homicides and mass shootings.

52% of those are suicides which require a conversation on “why are they doing this” and not what method they’re choosing.

It’s a pathetic cherry picked figure

Guns make it much easier to commit suicide than many other methods. You cant remove suicide from the conversation. I understand it isnt the same thing as killing someone else, but that doesnt change the fact they are gun deaths.

Guns make it much easier to commit suicide than many other methods. You cant remove suicide from the conversation. I understand it isnt the same thing as killing someone else, but that doesnt change the fact they are gun deaths.

Whatever makes you digest those numbers better

Whatever makes you digest those numbers better
325px-2010_homicide_suicide_rates_high-income_countries.png

Take out suicides and our homicide rate is still much higher than any Western nation on the planet.

325px-2010_homicide_suicide_rates_high-income_countries.png

Take out suicides and our homicide rate is still much higher than any Western nation on the planet.
That’s an interesting graph. What do all of those countries have in common that the US does not?

Yes and that is the biggest wtf for me

Did he purposely kill her or did she just happen to be there and he didn’t know when he was spraying bullets at a crowd?
Totally bizarre. At this point, he arrived with her, they separated, and then she became one of his first targets

Once again:

1) Mentally ill person or crazy person

2) violent person. Not all crazy people are violent

3) high-powered, automatic, semi-automatic, or high capacity weapon.

I don’t buy into the whole political affiliation argument. Republican or Democrat

Totally bizarre. At this point, he arrived with her, they separated, and then she became one of his first targets

Once again:

1) Mentally ill person or crazy person

2) violent person. Not all crazy people are violent

3) high-powered, automatic, semi-automatic, or high capacity weapon.

I don’t buy into the whole political affiliation argument. Republican or Democrat

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Not high powered, not automatic, but yes to the other 2. We'll go down this road again and again and again, but the simple fact of the matter is that a .223 or an AR15 is not a high powered gun in the scheme of things. There are far more guns of a higher caliber than there are of a lower caliber than this, so can we stop acting like this gun is a super weapon of death? The magazine is totally egregious and really pretty stupid for a lot of reasons, but that magazine didn't cause anyone to die nor did it make the shooting any easier.

I'm fine with debating the gun issue, but one sides argument is generally based on ignorance and lies about the gun itself. A 100 shot clip is just stupid, but it doesn't make the gun more deadly. Chances are, if he tried to unload that faster than just using 10-10 shot clips the gun would overheat and fail.

Reactions: UCFWayne
remember that time obama had a study done about gun violence but when it was released the media didnt really cover it?

probably because the study showed that guns are used defensively like 500,000 to 2,000,000 times a year vs the 33,000 gun deaths a year in which 2/3rds are actually suicides. but yea that whole good guy with a gun theory is total bull sh;t.*

ADVERTISEMENT