ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts heading into Week 2

A

anon_gi3vk9zbfmw0w

1) Injuries:
Tre Nixon's sustained injury did not look good. As he came down in the end-zone, it looked like the defender's body weight/momentum came down on Nixon, forcing him to land awkwardly/forcefully to the ground. You hate to speculate, but it looked like it could be a collar-bone or shoulder injury. Kind of disappointing that ESPN never addressed that he didn't return to the game, nor did they ever give an update on him. They never really updated McCrae's ankle injury either. His injury didn't look as serious as Nixon's. Collier was continually banged-up as well (also looked like a shoulder injury). Hopefully we can get updates on those guys sometime soon.

2) Transfers:
As the season moves along, depth in the secondary looks to be a bit of a concern. Freshmen Corey Thornton made a big tackle on fourth down in the fourth quarter, but Divaad Wilson would have helped a lot against GT. I don't know what is taking the NCAA so long, but it would be nice to get a definitive word on those four guys one way or the other (especially Wilson and Francois).

3) Offensive Line
-I found it a little strange that two-time all conference left guard Cole Schneider didn't start. I don't think there was an injury at play Saturday, because he did get in the game (early and often). Something to monitor...
-Why we hadn't heard much regarding Parker Boudreaux last week finally made some sense - he's in concussion protocol. He's another very experienced interior lineman that can hopefully return as soon as possible...
-I wasn't happy with the run game for most of the day. I think the line as a whole did decent enough with pass protection, and they eventually settled in with their run game stuff by the fourth quarter. I think Marcus Tatum (the fifth-year transfer from Tennessee) will help at tackle, but he did commit a few false start penalties that were costly. He's certainly not used to playing at our kind of pace yet.
-Matt Lee did a really solid job. It's nice to have that position solidified for the next three years after losing Jordan Johnson.

4) More Morris-Brash
It didn't seem like he got a whole lot of reps against Georgia Tech (he recorded one tackle against the Yellow Jackets). There were so many glowing reports around TMB coming out of camp, I would like to see him flash more against the Pirates. He didn't seem to get an opportunity to rush the passer at all yesterday.

5) East Carolina
-I'm pretty nervous about this game. Who knows what UCF will look like heading into the game, with Nixon, McCrae, Boudreaux, and Collier's status up in the air. East Carolina hasn't played a game yet, so barring some kind of COVID outbreak, they should be relatively healthy.
-East Carolina racked up 483 yards of total offense against UCF at our place last season. They outscored UCF 22-6 in the second half after the Knights jumped out to a huge lead. A lot of that offense was piled-up in garbage time, but East Carolina should not be slept on.
-Holton Ahlers is a three-year starter at QB. He gave UCF some problems in East Carolina as a true freshmen (remember: Milton didn't play, UCF was down at halftime), and he threw for 313 yards last year against the Knights (also ran for 47 yards and a score).

1) Injuries:
Tre Nixon's sustained injury did not look good. As he came down in the end-zone, it looked like the defender's body weight/momentum came down on Nixon, forcing him to land awkwardly/forcefully to the ground. You hate to speculate, but it looked like it could be a collar-bone or shoulder injury. Kind of disappointing that ESPN never addressed that he didn't return to the game, nor did they ever give an update on him. They never really updated McCrae's ankle injury either. His injury didn't look as serious as Nixon's. Collier was continually banged-up as well (also looked like a shoulder injury). Hopefully we can get updates on those guys sometime soon.

2) Transfers:
As the season moves along, depth in the secondary looks to be a bit of a concern. Freshmen Corey Thornton made a big tackle on fourth down in the fourth quarter, but Divaad Wilson would have helped a lot against GT. I don't know what is taking the NCAA so long, but it would be nice to get a definitive word on those four guys one way or the other (especially Wilson and Francois).

3) Offensive Line
-I found it a little strange that two-time all conference left guard Cole Schneider didn't start. I don't think there was an injury at play Saturday, because he did get in the game (early and often). Something to monitor...
-Why we hadn't heard much regarding Parker Boudreaux last week finally made some sense - he's in concussion protocol. He's another very experienced interior lineman that can hopefully return as soon as possible...
-I wasn't happy with the run game for most of the day. I think the line as a whole did decent enough with pass protection, and they eventually settled in with their run game stuff by the fourth quarter. I think Marcus Tatum (the fifth-year transfer from Tennessee) will help at tackle, but he did commit a few false start penalties that were costly. He's certainly not used to playing at our kind of pace yet.
-Matt Lee did a really solid job. It's nice to have that position solidified for the next three years after losing Jordan Johnson.

4) More Morris-Brash
It didn't seem like he got a whole lot of reps against Georgia Tech (he recorded one tackle against the Yellow Jackets). There were so many glowing reports around TMB coming out of camp, I would like to see him flash more against the Pirates. He didn't seem to get an opportunity to rush the passer at all yesterday.

5) East Carolina
-I'm pretty nervous about this game. Who knows what UCF will look like heading into the game, with Nixon, McCrae, Boudreaux, and Collier's status up in the air. East Carolina hasn't played a game yet, so barring some kind of COVID outbreak, they should be relatively healthy.
-East Carolina racked up 483 yards of total offense against UCF at our place last season. They outscored UCF 22-6 in the second half after the Knights jumped out to a huge lead. A lot of that offense was piled-up in garbage time, but East Carolina should not be slept on.
-Holton Ahlers is a three-year starter at QB. He gave UCF some problems in East Carolina as a true freshmen (remember: Milton didn't play, UCF was down at halftime), and he threw for 313 yards last year against the Knights (also ran for 47 yards and a score).
Really worried about ECU? Should just cancel season if that’s the case. It will be a beat down.

1) Injuries:

2) Transfers:

3) Offensive Line

4) More Morris-Brash

5) East Carolina
4) Zayas and Charlton are the clear starters. Charlton was a big reason we had all those fumbles and interceptions. Morrish Brash, Woods, and Celiscar are #2.

Reactions: UCFBS
ECU has sucked since McNeil was canned. Big mistake. He was one of the best coaches they had since Skip.

A couple of days ago I saw an ECU fan talking trash on UCF posts about how bad they were going to woop us this year. Stuff like that makes games like these a little more interesting.

You missed an opportunity by not stealing his Delorean and going back to 2009 when ECU had a pulse

And I’ll chime in with McNeil only did OK when he had Skips leftover players.....then we killed their whole program with one play....like we did later with USF.

And I’ll chime in with McNeil only did OK when he had Skips leftover players.....then we killed their whole program with one play....like we did later with USF.

ECU was already on life support - I think we did them a favor by pulling the plug.

USF on the other hand was cold blooded murder!

The Pirates opened as a 25.5-point underdog to No. 13 UCF on Sunday ahead of this Saturday's contest inside Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium. Kickoff is set for 12 noon ET and the game will be televised on ESPN+.

If anybody has the energy and desire, it would be nice to get a 2-deep depth chart together and posted on this site :)

ADVERTISEMENT