ADVERTISEMENT

A Motivated Malzahn

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
ain't nothin' to f*ck with. Whenever Gus played Alabama or Arkansas, he always brought his A game. These two games always seemed to mean more and bring out the best in Gus.

Wednesday's SMU game will no doubt have special meaning to Gus. Rhett Lashlee played and coached for Gus, and Malzahn has never faced a former assistant as a head coach.

Gus's and Rhett's profressional relationship soured after Rhett assumed play calling duties in 2016 and developed running back Kamryn Pettway into the SEC Player of Year. It is rumored the two clashed over credit for the offensive turnaround. H*ll hath no fury like a Gus scorned.

I think UCF covers, but I would take the under no way the two combine for 65.

I have to say I've seen a lot more of those in CFB these days.
Absolutely. It is a good way to push the ball downfield a little easier if you don’t have an elite punter (looks like elite for college is 47+ avg. and good is 43-46).

Stealing an extra 3-5 yards with a rollout is huge.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Punt averages are nonsense. Sometimes you're trying to pin them with a short punt. I don't think punts should count toward an average unless the LoS is outside midfield (or maybe own 40).
It’s not the whole story, but it does give you *some* information.

You can find a net punting summary below which is really all that matters (callout touchbacks too):

UCF is bottom 10.

Reactions: Knight Strength

You can find a net punting summary below which is really all that matters (callout touchbacks too):

UCF is bottom 10.
ESPN actually has the better summary:

UCF is bottom 10.
Osteen actually had the highest punt average for UCF qualified punters at the FBS level.

Andrew Osteen 42.0
Caleb Houston 42.0
Mac Loudermilk 41.9
Javier Beorlegui 41.1
Aaron Horne 40.1
Blake Clingan 39.9

Not sure what it means other than we have had a long streak without an excellent punter. At least from a yard per punt average.

Osteen actually had the highest punt average for UCF qualified punters at the FBS level.

Andrew Osteen 42.0
Caleb Houston 42.0
Mac Loudermilk 41.9
Javier Beorlegui 41.1
Aaron Horne 40.1
Blake Clingan 39.9

Not sure what it means other than we have had a long streak without an excellent punter. At least from a yard per punt average.
He was pretty reliable up to this year. Not sure what changed, but I feel like he has been shanking it a lot more - Look at his year to year stats:

He was pretty reliable up to this year. Not sure what changed, but I feel like he has been shanking it a lot more - Look at his year to year stats:

It is weird in 2020 he had a 44 yard average and last 2 years seems to have taken a step back.

Andrew Osteen 42.0
Caleb Houston 42.0
Mac Loudermilk 41.9
Javier Beorlegui 41.1
Aaron Horne 40.1
Blake Clingan 39.9

He also has 37 punts blocked since it takes him a full minute to get the punt off

Always? All of his Bama losses were by double digits with many being blowouts. We didn’t have much pep for usf last year.
One of those "double digit" losses came in 2014. Gus went into Tuscaloosa and hung 44 points on Saban in the hay day of uat's success and yet still lost because Auburn gave up 55.

Since that game, every Gus team has undergone tremendous improvement on defense, including his 2016-2019 squads that ranked in the top 10 nationally in scoring defense for four straight seasons.

(But y'all think Gus has nothing to do with the defense.)

Reactions: U C to the F
One of those "double digit" losses came in 2014. Gus went into Tuscaloosa and hung 44 points on Saban in the hay day of uat's success and yet still lost because Auburn gave up 55.

Since that game, every Gus team has undergone tremendous improvement on defense, including his 2016-2019 squads that ranked in the top 10 nationally in scoring defense for four straight seasons.

Cool. Still a double digit loss. They scored with 20 seconds left to avoid a 3 score loss. The offense was good a decade ago particularly with Nick Marshall. Not so much in recent years.

They lost 52-21 in 2018. Malzahn isn't a bad coach, but he's not some top tier on Saban level coach even if he did beat him a couple times out of the 8 times they played.

Auburn did dominate Arkansas during Gus tenure, along with the rest of the nation as Arkansas had a 34-61 record during those years. They did manage to beat Auburn the one year Arkansas got 8 wins.

They lost 52-21 in 2018. Malzahn isn't a bad coach, but he's not some top tier on Saban level coach even if he did beat him a couple times out of the 8 times they played.

Auburn did dominate Arkansas during Gus tenure, along with the rest of the nation as Arkansas had a 34-61 record during those years. They did manage to beat Auburn the one year Arkansas got 8 wins.
He had downward trajectory first 3 years after starting 12-2 and proceeded to lose at least 4 games after his first season. Sounds familiar?

He had downward trajectory first 3 years after starting 12-2 and proceeded to lose at least 4 games after his first season. Sounds familiar?
When he had full booster support, he was almost unstoppable. When a faction of boosters turned on him in 2015, he was never the same.
Of the three major Auburn Trustee/boosters, one supported Gus till the end, another was wishy washy, and the last and most powerful interviewed and vetted other coaches in 2017 and 2018 while Gus was still head coach.

You can CHOOSE to pull in different directions, but if you work together, Gus will be unstoppable again.

It's your choice.

Last edited:

Andrew Osteen 42.0
Caleb Houston 42.0
Mac Loudermilk 41.9
Javier Beorlegui 41.1
Aaron Horne 40.1
Blake Clingan 39.9

Mac Loudermilk was more than a punter though…he was a brand

Reactions: Wings0fred
If offense struggles and falls behind early. Does Keene get put in?

If offense struggles and falls behind early. Does Keene get put in?
feel like this is a potential ‘break the fanbase’ game. if we lose with an unwatchable boring offense again I think even Homecoming would struggle to reach 40k fans

Andrew Osteen 42.0
Caleb Houston 42.0
Mac Loudermilk 41.9
Javier Beorlegui 41.1
Aaron Horne 40.1
Blake Clingan 39.9

The Aussie will be at the top of this list soon...

I agree with you, even GOL would bench people that weren't producing. You can only go so long before the fans will start booing.
I agree. You play to win the game.

Celebrate Lets Go GIF by UCF Knights

feel like this is a potential ‘break the fanbase’ game. if we lose with an unwatchable boring offense again I think even Homecoming would struggle to reach 40k fans
So far this has been pretty unwatchable, so I agree. I'm hoping for second half adjustments or I might check out.

ain't nothin' to f*ck with. Whenever Gus played Alabama or Arkansas, he always brought his A game. These two games always seemed to mean more and bring out the best in Gus.

Wednesday's SMU game will no doubt have special meaning to Gus. Rhett Lashlee played and coached for Gus, and Malzahn has never faced a former assistant as a head coach.

Gus's and Rhett's profressional relationship soured after Rhett assumed play calling duties in 2016 and developed running back Kamryn Pettway into the SEC Player of Year. It is rumored the two clashed over credit for the offensive turnaround. H*ll hath no fury like a Gus scorned.

I think UCF covers, but I would take the under no way the two combine for 65.
This post is aging well!

Go Knights!

ADVERTISEMENT