ADVERTISEMENT

A quick check in on Frost

I thought I was the root of all WC / Kiddieboard evil?

In all seriousness, this is why I stopped blaming others a long time ago, even the ones I have on ignore.

My thought is no system can last forever at a school. Eventually you have to evolve to something new.
I would disagree with you on this one. The key is to hire great coaches who believe in the style of play you want to play.

Once upon a time my alma mater (Nebraska) had 40 years of a particular style of play. Then a new AD was hired who thought it was out-of-date and chose to reinvent the wheel with a former NFL coach and a West coast offense. Fast-forward through 15 years of so-so football and, low and behold, that style of play once thought to be 'out-of-date' has returned to Nebraska with Scott Frost.

When you've found a winning formula, why change it?

I would disagree with you on this one. The key is to hire great coaches who believe in the style of play you want to play.

Once upon a time my alma mater (Nebraska) had 40 years of a particular style of play. Then a new AD was hired who thought it was out-of-date and chose to reinvent the wheel with a former NFL coach and a West coast offense. Fast-forward through 15 years of so-so football and, low and behold, that style of play once thought to be 'out-of-date' has returned to Nebraska with Scott Frost.

Because people figure it out. Spurrier with the fun and gun is a great example. You get something new and it works. Eventually defenses figure out how to defend it and you have to evolve and change. Also, Scott Frost's offense, while having some elements, is not the same offense he ran at Nebraska.

We hired ADDW to do a job, and he did it.

ADDW hired Frost to do a job, and he did it. When Frost and his staff 'screwed up,' ADDW set terms, Frost accepted them, and we moved on.

Now it's the Heup show. We'll eventually lose him by late 2021 at the earliest, unless Oklahoma really wants to give us $10M in late 2020 (before the bowl games).
DW had the vision and Frost was a piece of that puzzle. His hires across the board have generally been in the same genre of coaches. Playing to the youth of the school. $10 million would buy a pretty good replacement.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Because people figure it out. Spurrier with the fun and gun is a great example. You get something new and it works. Eventually defenses figure out how to defend it and you have to evolve and change. Also, Scott Frost's offense, while having some elements, is not the same offense he ran at Nebraska.

I think Frost's offense is the natural evolution of what he ran at Nebraska. The biggest difference is in the use of downfield space. Where Osborne's offense used numbers for an advantage, Frost uses space but both are predicated on the element of post snap option. The designed plays are pretty much the same and that will never change but the rest is a normal progression of a system.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Because people figure it out. Spurrier with the fun and gun is a great example. You get something new and it works. Eventually defenses figure out how to defend it and you have to evolve and change.
I never meant to imply you don't evolve and change. You most certainly do. Heck, Frost was quoted earlier this fall saying that coaches catch on much quicker than they did just a few years ago.

Also, Scott Frost's offense, while having some elements, is not the same offense he ran at Nebraska.
I said same 'style' as in an RPO attack.

Nebraska ran an up-tempo run option game during their mid-90s period of domination. In the early 90s, Bill Callahan changed the Husker attack to the West Coast Offense. Mirroring Chip Kelly''s offense, Frost jacked up the tempo from his Husker days and features an 'attack the open spaces' spread attack. But at its heart, it is a run option offense that features an RPO QB.

Tom Osborne, the HC of those dominant Husker teams of the 90s has been quoted as saying that his offense was evolving towards a much more up-tempo attack (like Frost's) near the end of his coaching career. Frost's starting point was Chip Kelly's Offense but he's incorporated a lot of new things since. He has described the Offensive vision he brought to UCF as a combination of "Oregon Speed and Husker Power." In both his stops, at UCF and now at Nebraska, he's said that he hasn't fully incorporated the Husker Power part which takes both recruiting and development (3-5 years of S&C) to fully incorporate. But teams got a taste of it in Frost Year 2 at UCF and will again this year at Nebraska.

I never meant to imply you don't evolve and change. You most certainly do. Heck, Frost was quoted earlier this fall saying that coaches catch on much quicker than they did just a few years ago.

I said same 'style' as in an RPO attack.

Nebraska ran an up-tempo run option game during their mid-90s period of domination. In the early 90s, Bill Callahan changed the Husker attack to the West Coast Offense. Mirroring Chip Kelly''s offense, Frost jacked up the tempo from his Husker days and features an 'attack the open spaces' spread attack. But at its heart, it is a run option offense that features an RPO QB.

Tom Osborne, the HC of those dominant Husker teams of the 90s has been quoted as saying that his offense was evolving towards a much more up-tempo attack (like Frost's) near the end of his coaching career. Frost's starting point was Chip Kelly's Offense but he's incorporated a lot of new things since. He has described the Offensive vision he brought to UCF as a combination of "Oregon Speed and Husker Power." In both his stops, at UCF and now at Nebraska, he's said that he hasn't fully incorporated the Husker Power part which takes both recruiting and development (3-5 years of S&C) to fully incorporate. But teams got a taste of it in Frost Year 2 at UCF and will again this year at Nebraska.
Assuming this was just a typo, Callahan started in '04

Osborne’s offense (25 years as a head coach - 10 years as an OC...not all of that option based) had some fairly large fundamental evolutions during his tenure and then tying that to Frost’s offense is crazy talk as another 25 years of evolution and heavy handed outside influence (Chip Kelly) occurred.

I’d say grouping our current scheme with Osborne’s scheme is intellectually dishonest and doesn’t give enough credit to the other influences and architects (again, most notably Kelly) of this offense. Does that mean Frost has not borrowed concepts from his playing days and integrated certain Osborne philosophies into his offensive design? No, he has done just that and I believe he continues to. But there are fundamental differences that can not be reconciled in order to be grouped with the old Nebraska offenses.

The Osborne offense as it stood in 1997 would not maximize itself given the style of defenses and changes in rules today. And thus....is dated.

Anyways, UCF best of luck this year. I know there is some bad blood with how everything went down, but looks like Huep has done a good job of continuing to build your success. I had fun being a pseudo-UCF fan to support Frost in 2016-2017 and thus I wish y’all the beat.

I had fun being a pseudo-UCF fan to support Frost in 2016-2017 and thus I wish y’all the beat.
Cool. At least you admit that. Lol.

I actually watched his Big-10 press conference from a few weeks ago last night

He made it clear that he doesn’t want to talk about UCF anymore or make comparisons

He made it clear that he doesn’t want to talk about UCF anymore or make comparisons
So when I raise the money for his statue you don’t think he’d show up for the unveiling?

Reactions: Knight Strength

Obviously, if people are comparing 2nd years at UCF and Nebraska for him, how the heck is he going to top what he did at UCF? Trying to temper expectations.

Obviously, if people are comparing 2nd years at UCF and Nebraska for him, how the heck is he going to top what he did at UCF? Trying to temper expectations.
It’s really a completely different situation
The schedule/conference, QB, skill players, etc.

I’d say grouping our current scheme with Osborne’s scheme is intellectually dishonest and doesn’t give enough credit to the other influences and architects (again, most notably Kelly) of this offense.
I take issue with your characterization. By 'style' I was referring to a Run-Pass Option approach versus your standard, Pro attack. I am well-aware that Frost's base scheme was borrowed from Chip Kelly and is dramatically different from Tom Osborne's when he was winning 3 Nattys in 4 years.

My primary Osborne offensive comparison came from TO's own comments when asked about Frost's turbo attack. He said that his own offense was becoming more and more up-tempo as he was wrapping up his tenure.

I wholeheartedly acknowledge Chip Kelly's role in the current Husker and Knight attacks. But, as we saw at UCF, Frost brought a lot of his own ideas to the offense. Heupel the same way. The key to continued success -- whether you're Frost or Heupel -- hinges on the ability to be creative and 'stay ahead of the curve.' No coach worth his mustard can afford to live in the past.

That's because Frost will never have as good of team as he did at UCF during the Peach Bowl year. Nebraska will never beat a team that beat both the East and West Division winners from the SEC in the same season.

So when I raise the money for his statue you don’t think he’d show up for the unveiling?
Please hire the same Middle School level talent sculptor that created the comical "Coach" GOL statue.
George-OLeary-Statue.jpg

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Yeah. It’s garbage. I’m still not even sure it is him. If there is a statue of GOL, this is the only pose that should be used:
images
I can’t post pics but what about the one of him sitting at the baseball stadium turned to the side laughing hysterically?

Is it me or did SF lose a lot of swag when he went from Nike to Adidas? I wear the freshest Adidas gear (copied from SF's UCF look) but still look cooler than SF today.

Frost was on TV this morning and all they showed were UCF highlights. Awesome :sunglasses:
What did you expect them to show? Nebraska didn't exactly set the world on fire last season. :)

That said, expect Frost to turn around the Husker program this fall.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Exactly. Nebraska has been 8-4, 9-3, and 10-2 in the last 20 years

Frost has to move THEM BEYOND THAT.

But I do think you guys understand it's a little bit different this time around in Lincoln.
We have heard THAT too. Hahaha.

Seriously, I understand what you mean. Hell, nobody is going to tell a true diehard fan not to keep hoping and hanging in there.

After 1 month and 199 posts, you’re just now asking this? Your handle should be Rip Van Winkle

Reactions: DaShuckster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT