ADVERTISEMENT

AAC Tournament Day 3: Semi-finals

Knight_Light

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Both games today, along with the Championship Game tomorrow, will be on CBS (Jim Nance and Bill Rafferty on the call)

1 pm: #5 Memphis vs #1 Cincinnati

3:30 pm (approx): #3 Houston vs #2 Wichita State

Tickets are obviously good for both games (one session). Some lower bowl seats available for $4. (That's actually a big percentage jump up from yesterday when those same lower bowl seats were going for $3).

https://seatgeek.com/aac-men-s-bask...ckets/ncaa-basketball/2018-03-10-1-pm/4113874

Kind of embarrassing seeing how many shocker fans were there yesterday and how little UCF fans. I’m kind of glad we lost, or else I would have to suffer through playing them today lol.

Kind of embarrassing seeing how many shocker fans were there yesterday and how little UCF fans. I’m kind of glad we lost, or else I would have to suffer through playing them today lol.
yeah Orlando isn't making a good case to host again. Students on Spring Break but plenty of Alumni that are local no shows. It doesn't help that this basketball team played a very slow boring style but still not a good look...

Reactions: knightraveler
yeah Orlando isn't making a good case to host again. Students on Spring Break but plenty of Alumni that are local no shows. It doesn't help that this basketball team played a very slow boring style but still not a good look...
We would have to be on bubble or in for fans to show up. If we won last night today would have more fans. Sunday would have been packed if we made it that far. Not high expectations on this team so not many showed up.

We would have to be on bubble or in for fans to show up. If we won last night today would have more fans. Sunday would have been packed if we made it that far. Not high expectations on this team so not many showed up.
yeah I get it but it will still hurt future bids to host. March in Florida there are a lot of distractions, more so than any other month: best average temperatures of the calendar year, music festivals, PGA Tour swing, MLB Spring Training games, Beaches, etc. Countless outdoor options to forget about college basketball.

Might as well move the AAC tournament to the convention center on IDrive. There wouldnt be much fans dressed as chairs. Tons of hotels and other entertainments for visitors nearby. That said, would have been nice to build an adjacent arena next to Amway with less seats but more intimate...not like Atlantis..but 4000 seats tops.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Honestly, I was planning on going today and tomorrow if we advanced and so were a lot of people I know
I guess there just wasn’t enough excitement to attend the early rounds on weekdays That’s 3-4 games if we were to have advanced.

Exactly

yeah I get it but it will still hurt future bids to host. March in Florida there are a lot of distractions, more so than any other month: best average temperatures of the calendar year, music festivals, PGA Tour swing, MLB Spring Training games, Beaches, etc. Countless outdoor options to forget about college basketball.
Was Connecticut getting that many more fans? I don’t think it really matters where you put AAC Tourney. Not many teams travel well.

The AAC imo needs to try a different site until UCF shows that it supports basketball like it does football. That starts by having better teams. Watching Houston and Wichita today was a clear indication of our weaknesses. Size, athleticism, ball handling, and most importantly shooting percentage.

AAC Tournament Locations for next 4 years:

2019: FedEx Forum in Memphis

2020-2022: Dickie's Arena in Ft. Worth, TX

Cinci down 13 at half to Memphis came storming back and beat the Tigers by 10.

Wichita St, down by several buckets at half...took a 3 pt lead in the closing minute but UH came back to win by 3 as WSU's guard missed a 22 ft shot as time expired.

It needs to be on campus, not at Amway. Orlando or Tampa should be the home to the tournament. A warm weather basketball tourney in March is a great reason to leave the north.

It needs to be on campus, not at Amway. Orlando or Tampa should be the home to the tournament. A warm weather basketball tourney in March is a great reason to leave the north.
I don't think any on campus arena hosts Conference Tournies in Major College basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT