ADVERTISEMENT

Add Boise to AAC?

shacket

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2020
This should be revisited with everything in the news about the new MWC deal and Boise posturing about options. Do we want them for football only? Is scheduling and travel too weird? Add VCU basketball? I like it personally, ADDW scheduled a couple games with these guys already, they have a strong football brand and the move basically guarantees AAC a NY6 bowl every year. Academics aren't great. Thoughts?

It would be a lot of travel for Boise and I am not sure they would agree for football only, because then their other sports are kind of left out to dry. I doubt the MWC would want to keep them at all if they didn't have them in football, but stranger things have happened.

Doubt Boise is going anywhere. It would have to be all sports, and ESPN would have to kick in another 6 to 12 mil per year above the deal we had with UCONN on board. doubt that happens.

This should be revisited with everything in the news about the new MWC deal and Boise posturing about options. Do we want them for football only? Is scheduling and travel too weird? Add VCU basketball? I like it personally, ADDW scheduled a couple games with these guys already, they have a strong football brand and the move basically guarantees AAC a NY6 bowl every year. Academics aren't great. Thoughts?
I’d love it and think that it would add legitimacy to the league. I’ve seen some say that travel is too complicated but the big East added Boise before the AAC was finalized and then Boise backed out shortly after. I don’t think they’d join our league unless they could have their own tv rights or we paid them what they’re looking for.

Reactions: shacket
It would be a lot of travel for Boise and I am not sure they would agree for football only, because then their other sports are kind of left out to dry. I doubt the MWC would want to keep them at all if they didn't have them in football, but stranger things have happened.
We should pick Boise up and move them to Pensacola, and rename them to North Gulf Coast University

Last edited:
I’d love it and think that it would add legitimacy to the league. I’ve seen some say that travel is too complicated but the big East added Boise before the AAC was finalized and then Boise backed out shortly after. I don’t think they’d join our league unless they could have their own tv rights or we paid them what they’re looking for.

Keep in mind the Big East re-alignment at that time featured several Midwest non football schools like Creighton, Xavier, Marquette, etc, where travel for non football sports still would have been a lot, but it wouldnt have been cross country trips pretty much every game. And if I am not mistaken San Diego St was also added to the Big East as well which gave Boise a West coast team. Basically, the Big East was more or less just trying to survive, and the outlying teams obviously didn't stick around very long anyway.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Keep in mind the Big East re-alignment at that time featured several Midwest non football schools like Creighton, Xavier, Marquette, etc, where travel for non football sports still would have been a lot, but it wouldnt have been cross country trips pretty much every game. And if I am not mistaken San Diego St was also added to the Big East as well which gave Boise a West coast team. Basically, the Big East was more or less just trying to survive, and the outlying teams obviously didn't stick around very long anyway.

This is true, it would be football only or nothing one would assume.

This is true, it would be football only or nothing one would assume.

I think that would work for both Boise's football team and the AAC, but I am not sure what happens with their other sports so Boise would have to decide how to handle that part of it. I cant see any conference really wanting to have Boise in their conference if they don't have the one sport they would actually make money off of.

Reactions: shacket and ahabmw
The Big West still exists. Seems to have every California team except you've never heard about, and Hawaii. I believe that was the plan last time with Boise, football here, everything else there.

The Big West still exists. Seems to have every California team except you've never heard about, and Hawaii. I believe that was the plan last time with Boise, football here, everything else there.

Certainly possible, but I just personally don't see the benefit of adding Boise state to a conference, if you aren't getting their football team, but maybe the Big West sees it differently.

Certainly possible, but I just personally don't see the benefit of adding Boise state to a conference, if you aren't getting their football team, but maybe the Big West sees it differently.
Boise has had some tournament basketball teams, right? And their baseball team is solid or am I off base? A few non football leagues out there that their other sports might fit into.

Given Boise previously backed out of the Big East/AAC transition perhaps they are not welcome.....

Reactions: SimpleJack53
Right now is there really a need? We just ended the season with 4 ranked teams, secured a decent long term contract and have a 11 team exemption.
The exemption is only for 2 years and the contract is being renegotiated. The 4 ranked teams is more of an exception IMO v the rule. Boise is almost always preseason ranked in the top 25. I feel like it gives us an even stronger case for P6 status and potentially an AQ conference.

Reactions: shacket and Yaes
I think ESPN is willing to pay more to the AAC for Boise State. MWC and Boise’s State content going to Fox is not good for ESPN. So ESPN will pay more for AAC content if we can gut the MWC and steal some teams.

Do we need Boise to be competitive, nationally relevant, and keep the NY6 bids? No

But we all want more money and MWC has put a target on their back taking the Fox deal. Aresco needs to shoot his shot if ESPN will significantly pay more to our league.

What’s going to suck: the West division games are going to be a lot later start times. Our time-slot are going to be affected if this goes through. The value Boise State brings to ESPN is an entertaining and sometimes nationally relevant game on at 8PST/11EST

My bet would be Boise State football only to the AAC. Their Olympic sports can go to Big West (with Hawaii) or West Coast (with BYU)

I don't think it would be a lot of travel for Boise. They can schedule their 4 OOC games out west. Four conference games will be home games in Boise. That only leaves 4 conference games on the road. They already travel across country for a couple a games a year so this would not be much different for them.

By far Boise State has the TV appeal. You add Boise State vs UCF, or Boise State vs Memphis, or Boise State vs Navy would be national high ratings covering both coasts.

ESPN would hit a homerun with that addition. They steal Boise State from Fox and enhance the tv appeal. Net gain over nobody caring for UConn football.

Bring in Utah State and San Diego State too.

West:
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Navy
Boise
SDSU
Utah State

East:
UCF
Memphis
Cincy
Tulane
East Carolina
Temple
USF

AAC Champion would make the NY6 bowl 95% of the time.

Bring in Utah State and San Diego State too.

West:
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Navy
Boise
SDSU
Utah State

East:
UCF
Memphis
Cincy
Tulane
East Carolina
Temple
USF

AAC Champion would make the NY6 bowl 95% of the time.
Navy is more east than all of your East teams

Navy is more east than all of your East teams
Navy has a weird thing in their contract when they joined the AAC where they've demanded to be in the west division. I believe it has to do with recruiting in the state of Texas. That's why they're currently in the west division. Also San Diego State would be a natural rival for Navy since San Diego is such a huge Naval Port.

Yeah so after a lot of consideration I am thinking, add Boise, SDSU & AFA for football, add them all to the old west division. Move Navy & Tulane or Houston or Tulsa to the East. Add VCU, SDSU, & UNLV for basketball & Olympic sports. Boise & AFA would be in a weird spot with their bball & olympic sports (both to WCC or Big Sky?) and UNLV football would have to go FCS if they aren't already, but... viva la AAC in that scenario.

dont feel like dealing with the headache that they are currently giving the MWC.
If they come and get the same share as everyone else then cool but im sure they will want to negotiate their own separate deal and down the rabbit hole we go.

Also it wont legitimize us, nothing will. Its just another team fighting for the same NY6 spot, except now we help Boise's SOS. P5 or bust yall.

Also it wont legitimize us, nothing will. Its just another team fighting for the same NY6 spot, except now we help Boise's SOS. P5 or bust yall.

I hate to break it to you, but you're going to be holding your breath awhile, maybe forever. Why not put as many fun matchups on the schedule, without giving away home games, until we get that P5 invite? Why not make Boise beat us to earn that NY6 invite?

Reactions: Endeavor.
I hate to break it to you, but you're going to be holding your breath awhile, maybe forever. Why not put as many fun matchups on the schedule, without giving away home games, until we get that P5 invite? Why not make Boise beat us to earn that NY6 invite?
the most fun ill have is watching us play the NY6 every year, we can still schedule Boise. right now they can have a great season and still be behind Cincy/UCF/Memphis because their schedule is easy compared to the AAC. Why give them a better schedule and give ourselves a harder time.

Not against them joining, Boise is very good and deserving. I just see no upside, it wont give us a playoff bid and will just give more fuel for people to talk bad about non power teams as we knock each other off.

Boise State is a good team but I don't think ESPN is going to give UCF more money because BSU joins the AAC. I also dont think it will improve perception of our conference enough to get into the CFI, a NY6 autobid, or respect from CFB fans. I don't know that we will end up having to add a team but if we do I think one in GA, AL, or TX would be good for recruiting.

Reactions: ahabmw
ADVERTISEMENT