ADVERTISEMENT

After game

8 or 9 wins...

KJ was nervous, rusty and slow...

Gus was gus...3 runs in a row to the same runner.

Brown has some potential at QB,

Rest of team looks great!
Unless QB play improves.

Ceiling 7 wins.. Floor 3 wins.

Really cant predict until after TCU game.

8 or 9 wins...

KJ was nervous, rusty and slow...

Gus was gus...3 runs in a row to the same runner.

Brown has some potential at QB,

Rest of team looks great!
Agree rest of the team looks great. But this is a QB driven league. KJ looked horrible in every way. He looks out of shape both physically and mentally. His throws were inaccurate all night, even his rpo’s were sketchy on the handoffs. The interception was one were a 5 th grader would’ve done better. I hope we are not pinning the season on this guy.

Last edited:
Speaking of win totals. On my seminole betting app, and after last night's game, all the Big12 season win totals went away so no betting could happen. A couple weeks ago I bet the Over 7.5 for UCF. This morning all the other team's predictions have been updated except UCF. They are not listed yet. They must be analyzing it still. Will be interesting on how vegas adjust it. Colorado win total dropped to 5.5 after their game last night. I think orig they were at 6.5.

Agree rest of the team looks great. But this is a QB driven league. KJ looked horrible in every way. He looks out of shape both physically and mentally. His throws were inaccurate all night, even his rpo’s were sketchy on the handoffs. The interception was one were a 5 th grader would’ve done better. I hope we are not pinning the season on this guy.
I don't know why Gus plays the fool for his QB1 but, so far at UCF, he's shown that's his MO. He'll stick with the guy until the problem is corrected or he's forced to change because of losses. Unfortunately, after yesterday's terrible performance by QB1, there's lots of improvement needed and we'll just have to suffer through it. In the meantime, there's nothing we can do about it except contact Gus directly with our concerns.

I don't know why Gus plays the fool for his QB1 but, so far at UCF, he's shown that's his MO. He'll stick with the guy until the problem is corrected or he's forced to change because of losses. Unfortunately, after yesterday's terrible performance by QB1, there's lots of improvement needed and we'll just have to suffer through it. In the meantime, there's nothing we can do about it except contact Gus directly with our concerns.
Not a QB guy. He’s a system coach who plugs in squares to circles too often I hope greatly, but I don’t have great expectations, although I do believe there will be glimpses throughout the year of Jefferson

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
I had really high hopes that the QB play would be greatly improved this year, along with the defense. Playing a team like UNH really tells us nothing, however the bad QB play does. Man, I was sitting in the stands just cringing. He’s got to be better right, just chalk it up to a bad game? I still have to think so.

A few other things I noticed and I’ll have to re-watch the TV broadcast. It didn’t seem like the WRs were getting any type of separation. Was it the play calling, was it a demoralized Corp, are UNH DBs just good? Idk. It seems like the OL was letting a lot of pressure as well. And finally, the DL pass rush was disappointing. They should have ate against UNH, but they didn’t. The backups seemed to get more pressure.

I had really high hopes that the QB play would be greatly improved this year, along with the defense. Playing a team like UNH really tells us nothing, however the bad QB play does. Man, I was sitting in the stands just cringing. He’s got to be better right, just chalk it up to a bad game? I still have to think so.

A few other things I noticed and I’ll have to re-watch the TV broadcast. It didn’t seem like the WRs were getting any type of separation. Was it the play calling, was it a demoralized Corp, are UNH DBs just good? Idk. It seems like the OL was letting a lot of pressure as well. And finally, the DL pass rush was disappointing. They should have ate against UNH, but they didn’t. The backups seemed to get more pressure.
it is bc Gus’s route trees suck. Consistent theme at Auburn too

Gus doesn’t have any interest in a passing game. That’s why he looks for primarily running QB’s. His WR’s have 2 plays… an end around hand off or a go route jump ball on the sideline. You never see crossing routes over the middle, or getting WR’s in space…everything is towards the sidelines With no opportunity for YAC. He cares more about them blocking for the RB’s. Look at his playcalling inside the 15-20 yard line…they’re always run plays because there’s not enough room to run his other 2 WR plays. It’s literally a high school playbook.

BUT according to every tv announcer, Gus is an offensive genius (literally words spoken on every broadcast)

The abysmal QB play has taken the spotlight away from what could be the best running back room in the nation. In addition, our defense looks like it actually has a viable system, and the kids played hard, granted this was against an inferior opponent. It was good to see some type of proper system in order.

Georgia Tech used a rushing attack to beat both UCF (bowl game) and then #10 FSU last week. It works.

Good Ole Fashion O'leary Ball. 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

But, I do agree, gotta do better in passing. I'd suggest some early easy short throws to get KJ in rhythm.

It's kind of funny seeing just about 99 percent of the people on Social Media (Fb, youtube, this forum) point out how bad KJ played. We are all the experts at stating the obvious! Gus admitted he made some play calling mistakes in the first half and also admitted that the offense was on purpose, vanilla.

Game 1 to Game 2 we should see improvements. Knock on wood. At this point we are 1-0.

Ucf Achille heal appears to be running QB. Saw that at end of game.

I am hoping the reason why Brown got a lot of QB time after KJ last night was to have him ready by game 4 if he needs to make a QB change for season .

Reactions: Knight59
Don't worry you can contact him directly on here, he's AuburnLegacy.
Fearghus-name-print-classic-b04-charcoal-gray.jpg

Fear Gus!

I didn't notice them getting down the field much either

I watched on tv and you’re right, it didn’t seem like the WRs were getting a lot of separation. K.J. Still looked pretty bad but maybe NH was giving up the run to avoid big plays? Not sure.

Was there even on pass over the middle? It’s really hard to believe our passing game is this bad. QB1 had only 1 good pass, that’s just crazy to me.

KJ Jefferson is better than what last night showed, experience has shown and there is a lot of it. It’s either scheme (vanilla play calling or whatever) or just flat out being unprepared. The OL did not do great at pass protection and the WRs were locked up. Idk, it was crazy watching it against that level of competition. Someone mentioned KZ’s bad game against SC State, I remember that game too thinking “WTH”! I’m just hoping for a bounce back next week against another scrimmage opponent and step up in competition.

fyi, UCF win totals are back up on Hard Rock betting app. Remains at 7.5. All of yesterday there were no options to bet on UCF regular season win totals. They must have been sitting on that and thinking long and hard.

Was there even on pass over the middle? It’s really hard to believe our passing game is this bad. QB1 had only 1 good pass, that’s just crazy to me.
In all honestly that’s Gus’ offensive passing game. He never utilizes the middle of the field. It’s always end around wide receiver runs or deep jump balls down the sideline. He never tries to get his WR’s in space. He prefers them to be downfield blockers

In all honestly that’s Gus’ offensive passing game. He never utilizes the middle of the field. It’s always end around wide receiver runs or deep jump balls down the sideline. He never tries to get his WR’s in space. He prefers them to be downfield blockers
Yep. As for me his offense has become tired and boring. I long for multidimensional offense that is is not only more fun to watch but often more productive. There just are not that many Cam Newtons running around. Gus seems to be stuck in the past and refuses to change.

Gus continues to keep us middle of the road and will always do that. The man has quiet quit but y’all keep sipping that kool aid. Gus will never win us much

Reactions: ucffan642
Yep. As for me his offense has become tired and boring. I long for multidimensional offense that is is not only more fun to watch but often more productive. There just are not that many Cam Newtons running around. Gus seems to be stuck in the past and refuses to change.
Gus continues to keep us middle of the road and will always do that. The man has quiet quit but y’all keep sipping that kool aid. Gus will never win us much
I don't care what the offense looks like a long as it keeps racking up the W's. I remember uat fans b*tching about the 1992 Gene Stallings offense. It unfortunately turned out to be pretty d*mn effective.

UCF leads the nation in rushing BY A LARGE margin. I am pleased about that.

Brown was throwing zippy passes down the middle. His skill set looked better this past game than KJ. I hope one of them steps up soon.

This is absolutely indefensible if it’s even remotely true. It sure seems true as a fan. Would love to see the data.

If it is true, then Gus is beyond incompetent. Plain and simple. If you pass outside and run outside… then what will the defensive coordinator do? Hmmmmm

Reactions: Yaes
If you're running vanilla plays then you should be exceptional at it because it's not complicated. That's a tired excuse. I, myself, expect to see a very different qb next week or this season is gonna be long and disappointing.

Reactions: Yaes
If you're running vanilla plays then you should be exceptional at it because it's not complicated. That's a tired excuse. I, myself, expect to see a very different qb next week or this season is gonna be long and disappointing.
Exactly.

Also, if KJ is horrible in game 2…Then why play him? Bring in a future UCF qb. No need to play a 1 and done player if he isn’t hands down the best qb.

Build for the future if the 2nd/3rd string QBs are performing with similar results.

Exactly.

Also, if KJ is horrible in game 2…Then why play him? Bring in a future UCF qb. No need to play a 1 and done player if he isn’t hands down the best qb.

Build for the future if the 2nd/3rd string QBs are performing with similar results.
You are absolutely right but experience tells me Gus will never do it.

Exactly.

Gus won’t do it because he isn’t getting top tier high school QBs and has to hit portal. Even then he gets tier 2 and has to stick with them so he can get another 1 the following year. Has to prove how loyal he is just to get the scraps he gets at QB.

Gus won’t do it because he isn’t getting top tier high school QBs and has to hit portal. Even then he gets tier 2 and has to stick with them so he can get another 1 the following year. Has to prove how loyal he is just to get the scraps he gets at QB.
At some point, this is going to snowball in a very bad way. What HS qb will want to come here if recruits are never given the keys?

At some point, this is going to snowball in a very bad way. What HS qb will want to come here if recruits are never given the keys?
It's already been 3 years of this. Ironically the only bowl win Malzahn has is with a HS QB.

Exactly.

I’m not so sure the answer is in the room. Whether they r good or ready. I like the kid from Jville but I’m not sure he’s ready

KJ looks overweight and out of shape. He was huffing and puffing in the Florida heat of a night game. He also looks indecisive as he held on to the ball a long time. Maybe it’s because our WRs weren’t open, but he made some awful passes on wide open receivers and just didn’t look comfortable with little pressure.

It almost seems as though he was held out of too much of camp and didn’t go live enough plays.

I expect him to play much better. He’s seasoned and holds almost every passing record at Arkansas…vs. very good SEC competition. It seemed the game plan was to simply hand the ball off. KJ and the OL need passing reps. Gus needs to open it up to get KJ on the same page with his receivers.

Reactions: lawknight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT