ADVERTISEMENT

Alone in the Game

bqknight

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2009
Of course, I will be watching:

I wish there were more LGBT people in sports. When do you think the 1st openly gay active athlete comes out for the NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB?

Robbie Rogers was actually a decent sized player to come out for MLS/Soccer. There's a decent amount in Women's Soccer.

Of course, I will be watching:

I wish there were more LGBT people in sports. When do you think the 1st openly gay active athlete comes out for the NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB?

Robbie Rogers was actually a decent sized player to come out for MLS/Soccer. There's a decent amount in Women's Soccer.
Why would/should anyone care about the sexuality of an athlete?

Member back in the 70s when women's tennis was full of openly gay athletes? Member how much people actually cared? People don't watch sports so they can root for a homosexual, they watch because sports.

Reactions: UCFBS
Why would/should anyone care about the sexuality of an athlete?

You're right, no one should care. However, that isn't the reality. In a perfect world, "coming out" wouldn't be a thing. We're a LONG, LONG way from that though.

In today's world though, it's inspirational. It shows young gay kids that it's okay to be gay and play professional sports. Anyone who comes out post-career make it very clear that there's a culture of it not being okay.

By having professional athletes come out, they can truly be themselves. It shows the athletes growing up that if I were to play sports, I could bring my significant other to events. I can talk about them like I'm sure straight guys talk about their wives and girlfriends.

It matters because it normalizes it.

Member back in the 70s when women's tennis was full of openly gay athletes? Member how much people actually cared? People don't watch sports so they can root for a homosexual, they watch because sports.

Try to think outside your own personal viewpoint and think about how it may effect people who are struggling with something that is still very hard for many.

FYI - Orlando City Soccer is like a gay mecca. I know SOOO many gay guys who go to the games. They actually like the game too but it doesn't hurt that soccer players are typically really attractive.

Member? what are you actually doing?

Stop talking about WHY people watch sports when you don't speak for "people".

People who are underrepresented in sports (or not represented at ALL), care. In this instance, it's LGBT people and their allies (myself included). Your sentiment could have been said 50+ years ago but altered for the time: "Who cares what color a person is?" The thing is, many people DO care for reasons you apparently will NEVER be able to comprehend. And, because when LGBT+ athletes start to break down those barriers and become more visible, it will show others that THEY TOO can strive to achieve their goals in sport, and elsewhere. It may also lead to it becoming so common place that it is no longer a thing to talk about, and will hopefully gradually over time help eliminate some of the homophobic (overt or latent) views many in this country still have.

But, of course a straight, cis-gendered white guy comes in here to whine "But, why do they have to make it such a big deal!?!?!?!?" as if he understands a damn thing about this at all.

Furthermore, the fact that there are closeted athletes (or people at all) is because they do not feel SAFE. So, until you can actually wrap your small mind around that, don't pretend to know what you're talking about.

Try to think outside your own personal viewpoint and think about how it may effect people who are struggling with something that is still very hard for many.

FYI - Orlando City Soccer is like a gay mecca. I know SOOO many gay guys who go to the games. They actually like the game too but it doesn't hurt that soccer players are typically really attractive.

I guess I still don't understand why I should care who someone has sex with if it isn't me, my wife, or my daughters. I feel for someone who struggles with their sexuality or any issue for that matter, but I'm not interested in validating or oppressing someone because of it. If they are being paid to do a job then let the merits of their work speak for them.

Reactions: UCFWayne

People who are underrepresented in sports (or not represented at ALL), care. In this instance, it's LGBT people and their allies (myself included). Your sentiment could have been said 50+ years ago but altered for the time: "Who cares what color a person is?" The thing is, many people DO care for reasons you apparently will NEVER be able to comprehend. And, because when LGBT+ athletes start to break down those barriers and become more visible, it will show others that THEY TOO can strive to achieve their goals in sport, and elsewhere. It may also lead to it becoming so common place that it is no longer a thing to talk about, and will hopefully gradually over time help eliminate some of the homophobic (overt or latent) views many in this country still have.

But, of course a straight, cis-gendered white guy comes in here to whine "But, why do they have to make it such a big deal!?!?!?!?" as if he understands a damn thing about this at all.
Presumed zis preference!

people have no problem when athlete X and his/her wife/husband made out or instagrammed photos of their family

Athlete X can support whatever charity he/she wants or church he/she wants or whatever and it's just him/her lending his/her celebrity status to organizations that are close to him/her

Athlete Y walks in a Pride Parade and "HOLD THE PHONE, GET THAT GAY SHIT OUT OF MY SPORTS"

Physically and mentally retarded people are under represented in sports. Southeast Asian people are under represented in sports. Do you think I should care? Does it make me a bigot because I don't? Good lord, just enjoy watching the actual sport and commend whoever is good at it.

people have no problem when athlete X and his/her wife/husband made out or instagrammed photos of their family

Athlete X can support whatever charity he/she wants or church he/she wants or whatever and it's just him/her lending his/her celebrity status to organizations that are close to him/her

Athlete Y walks in a Pride Parade and "HOLD THE PHONE, GET THAT GAY SHIT OUT OF MY SPORTS"

Please, for the love of God give an example of this.

Physically and mentally retarded people are under represented in sports. Southeast Asian people are under represented in sports. Do you think I should care? Does it make me a bigot because I don't? Good lord, just enjoy watching the actual sport and commend whoever is good at it.
Spicy take.

I guess I still don't understand why I should care who someone has sex with if it isn't me, my wife, or my daughters. I feel for someone who struggles with their sexuality or any issue for that matter, but I'm not interested in validating or oppressing someone because of it. If they are being paid to do a job then let the merits of their work speak for them.

You're still missing the point. It's not for YOU.

It's for those LGBT athletes that feel the need to be closeted. Those aspiring athletes that feel like they can't truly be themselves.

How would you feel if you had to hide your wife and kids everyday? Not just at work but with your friends? Your colleagues outside of work?

"If they are being paid to do a job then let the merits of their work speak for them."

In theory - that's great. That's not the world we live in though. That's the goal.

Please, for the love of God give an example of this.

There are athletes that speak out pretty strongly against homosexuality.

FFS, it's a question that NFL teams ask to potential draft players (even though it's not allowed).

It's for those LGBT athletes that feel the need to be closeted. Those aspiring athletes that feel like they can't truly be themselves.

How would you feel if you had to hide your wife and kids everyday? Not just at work but with your friends? Your colleagues outside of work?

"If they are being paid to do a job then let the merits of their work speak for them."

In theory - that's great. That's not the world we live in though. That's the goal.
He's straightsplaining to you BQ, please listen to how HE feels about it so you can understand why it's not important.

NOBODY CARES. If LeBron James was gay he would still be the best player in the NBA, and it may get some press from the left and some ire from the far right but it wouldn't change the arguments about whether he's better than Michael. If Milton came out and said he was gay would UCF fans stop supporting him as the leader of the team?

The whole thing is a contrived conspiracy intended to move a political point forward but seriously nobody cares outside of the fringes.

NOBODY CARES. If LeBron James was gay he would still be the best player in the NBA, and it may get some press from the left and some ire from the far right but it wouldn't change the arguments about whether he's better than Michael. If Milton came out and said he was gay would UCF fans stop supporting him as the leader of the team?

The whole thing is a contrived conspiracy intended to move a political point forward but seriously nobody cares outside of the fringes.

This has to be one of the poorest takes I've seen in awhile.

Nobody cares? Please tell me then, why don't LGBT people come out in sports?

It's real cute that you're telling a gay dude that coming out is a contrived conspiracy. LOLOLOL all around.

This has to be one of the poorest takes I've seen in awhile.

Nobody cares? Please tell me then, why don't LGBT people come out in sports?

It's real cute that you're telling a gay dude that coming out is a contrived conspiracy. LOLOLOL all around.
Are you seriously suggesting that the support structure for people coming out is inadequate?

Holy cow, have you guys ever considered the idea that maybe gay people just aren't as good at athletics than straight people for whatever reason? Have you ever considered the idea that Hispanics and Asians aren't as good at football than black People? Are you suggesting that if tiger woods had down syndrome that is golfing ability would be disregarded? It's so dumb. People don't watch sports and root for athletes that look like them or have the same sex life as them.

With the way the NHL reaches out to the community, you’d think there’d be an openly gay NHL player already. I’d have to think figure skating plays a large factor in why you don’t see gay NHL players. It was almost harder growing up as a straight figure skater than it would’ve been had I been gay, which is a different situation from almost any other sport.

Please explain coming out to me. Please.

What is there to explain? We grew up with the understanding that most people are straight so when a person says they prefer to have sex with a person of the same gender it's surprising. Family and friends are surprised, shocked, angry, etc. When a person we don't know comes out it's a big frigging whooptidoo. Are they better if worse at their job because of It? Nope. Should I care who they love or have sex with? Nope.

I don't know if the point is to turn every redneck backwoods person into an enlightened socially well adjusted individual based on the ideals of social justice but I'm just telling you that the vast majority of people just really don't care about your sex life.

With the way the NHL reaches out to the community, you’d think there’d be an openly gay NHL player already. I’d have to think figure skating plays a large factor in why you don’t see gay NHL players. It was almost harder growing up as a straight figure skater than it would’ve been had I been gay, which is a different situation from almost any other sport.

I'd venture it will be the NHL too. There was a rumor a bit ago that someone was planning to but it never happened.

There's been some rumors of some European based soccer players coming out in a group too but...like usual...nothing happened.

Holy cow, have you guys ever considered the idea that maybe gay people just aren't as good at athletics than straight people for whatever reason? Have you ever considered the idea that Hispanics and Asians aren't as good at football than black People? Are you suggesting that if tiger woods had down syndrome that is golfing ability would be disregarded? It's so dumb. People don't watch sports and root for athletes that look like them or have the same sex life as them.

I'm not claiming there will be a lot of gay people in sports but the ones that are in sports should feel okay to be themselves.

What is there to explain? We grew up with the understanding that most people are straight so when a person says they prefer to have sex with a person of the same gender it's surprising. Family and friends are surprised, shocked, angry, etc. When a person we don't know comes out it's a big frigging whooptidoo. Are they better if worse at their job because of It? Nope. Should I care who they love or have sex with? Nope.

I don't know if the point is to turn every redneck backwoods person into an enlightened socially well adjusted individual based on the ideals of social justice but I'm just telling you that the vast majority of people just really don't care about your sex life.

wrong.jpg

People care about what athletes and famous people do.

Today I learned that being gay makes you as bad at sports as having down syndrome.

Libertarians are just the worst. Can you please not pretend to be an expert on one topic ever. You're not as well informed as you think you are.

Today I learned that being gay makes you as bad at sports as having down syndrome.

Libertarians are just the worst. Can you please not pretend to be an expert on one topic ever. You're not as well informed as you think you are.

People with down syndrome make up less than 1% of the population. Stands to reason that they would have less than 1% representation in any field. Homosexuals make up about 2% of the population. Stands to reason that they would have about the same level of representation in professional sports. That assumes that all things are equal, which they aren't. Women make up 51% of the population, so why don't we have half of all professional athletes being Women? You re making an argument based on equality of results which doesn't exist outside of fairytale land.

Please don’t use the r-word.
Is it offensive to you to hear that word? Is it more offensive than the term mongoloid?

Retarded isn't an offensive word. Down syndrome isn't an offensive term. Caucasian, negro, Hispanic, and jew aren't offensive terms. They are descriptors.

It’s not offensive but it lets me know the type of person you are by your use of the word.

If you knew any special-needs children (as I do with my nephew) and the type of hurt that word conveys then you wouldn’t use it as you do. Perhaps you use it for the shock value, I don’t know.

Maybe I am being overly cautious due to personal circumstances. Sorry if that is the case.

Is it offensive to you to hear that word? Is it more offensive than the term mongoloid?

Retarded isn't an offensive word. Down syndrome isn't an offensive term. Caucasian, negro, Hispanic, and jew aren't offensive terms. They are descriptors.
Negro, yikes.

ADVERTISEMENT