ADVERTISEMENT

Another school shooting

Cubs79

Golden Knight
Jan 4, 2014
And another reminder of how ****ed up this country and our gun laws are, and of course, not a damn thing will be done to try and fix it. Horrible.

Last edited:
And of course our friend @UCFBS is all over the Dungeon making it about himself and using his “breaking Rivals Terms of Service” line on one of his many tangents

And of course our friend @UCFBS is all over the Dungeon making it about himself and using his “breaking Rivals Terms of Service” line on one of his many tangents

Im not a member of the dungeon so I cant read his stuff in there, but doesnt surprise me. It is more than obvious that a lot of people in this country care more about guns than dead kids.

"Thoughts and prayers to the victims' families" ....for the millionth time.

I just flipped on Fox to see what they were saying about it, and of course Laura Ingraham is blasting Biden for speaking about it. Her job pays her well not to care about dead children.

It is more than obvious that a lot of people in this country care more about guns than dead kids.
100% agreed. Politics as well. I don’t have kids, but I feel for those elderly Buffalo people and the kids/families in this case. I’m not a gun owner. My parents never were. My brother is very wealthy and has a lot to lose. He’s not either

100% agreed. Politics as well. I don’t have kids and I’m not black, but I feel for those elderly Buffalo people and the kids/families in this case. I’m not a gun owner. My parents never were. My brother his very wealthy and has a lot to lose. He’s not either

I have lived in inner city neighborhoods in Nashville my whole adult life, and have never felt the need to have a gun. I am not against people owning guns, but there have to be some sort of restrictions or this is going to continue to keep happening over and over. This country is a complete failure on this issue.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I have lived in inner city neighborhoods in Nashville my whole adult life, and have never felt the need to have a gun. I am not against people owning guns, but there have to be some sort of restrictions or this is going to continue to keep happening over and over. This country is a complete failure on this issue.
Very few times did I feel the need for one.
One time especially. If I had one people would be dead, There’s ways around owning one in most situations. I called the cops and they took care of it

Very few times did I feel the need for one.
One time especially. If I had one people would be dead, There’s ways around owning one in most situations. I called the cops and they took care of it

Yep. There are certainly some instances where I am sure a gun saved someone, but studies show that having guns in the home is far more dangerous then not having them.

Honestly, of all the issues in this country that we discuss, argue over, and some even agree on, this is the one issue that just baffles me. Everyone reasonable person in this country knows this is awful, and every reasonable person in this country knows that our access to guns is what allows it to happen, yet for some reason, we dont even try to do anything about it.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Honestly, of all the issues in this country that we discuss, argue over, and some even agree on, this is the one issue that just baffles me. Everyone reasonable person in this country knows this is awful, and every reasonable person in this country knows that our access to guns is what allows it to happen, yet for some reason, we dont even try to do anything about it.
America is all about their freedoms and rights. Can’t touch the 2nd amendment from the 18th century

Oh.., well.., if you find a study feel free to post it sometime

Statistically, having a gun in your home is more dangerous for you and your family, especially if you have young children or teens. A 2014 review in the Annals of Internal Medicine concluded having a firearm in the home, even when it’s properly stored, doubles your risk of becoming a victim of homicide and triples the risk of suicide.

Unintentional shootings​

Unintentional shootings happen to children of all ages. In homes with guns, the likelihood of accidental death by shooting is four times higher.

In 2020, there were at least 369 unintended shootings by children in the United States. These shootings caused 142 deaths and 242 injuries. The COVID-19 pandemic hasn't helped either. From March to December 2020, unintended shooting deaths by kids went up more than 30% compared to the same time period in 2019.

Suicide​

Kids and adolescents are at an increased risk for suicide when there is a gun in the home too. Suicide rates in this population are four times higher than for kids who live in homes without guns. In the past decade, 40% of the suicides committed by kids and teens involved guns. Nine out of 10 of these suicides were with guns that the victims accessed at their own homes or from a relative's home.

Homicide​

The risk of homicide is three times higher when there are guns in the home. Not only that, but 58% of shooting deaths in children and teens are homicides.

Here are a couple.

What a shocker!!!!!

Time for him to be banned. Like this shooter or any crazy shooter doesn't meet his crazy profile to a tee. I genuinely fear for anyone who encounters him.

The people who argue the 2nd amendment always conveniently leave out the part that says "well regulated".
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

A well regulated Militia, not population. the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
If you want big time gun laws you have to amend the constitution first.

this country sucks

only developed country that this happens this often. Playing roulette with our lives at a damn grocery store , movie theatre , or school
If you had the power to change all the laws unilaterally and fund all the initiatives that you need, what would your ideal comprehensive plan be to stop mass shootings in America?

If you had the power to change all the laws unilaterally and fund all the initiatives that you need, what would your ideal comprehensive plan be to stop mass shootings in America?
That's a good question. I don't know what the answer is, to be honest.

What would you do?

This country is a complete failure on this issue.
I disagree, Cubs79. To 'fail' would mean we actually tried different strategies to deal with gun violence and, sadly, none of them worked.

The truth is this country's leaders have watched this insanity happen again and again and again and have deliberately chosen to do nothing at all to address it.

Oh, I get it. If we can't stop mass shootings, why bother at all, right?

Out of curiosity, what is the Gun-toting Right's 'ideal' comprehensive plan for preventing all abortions in America?

Geez, if State legislative efforts to control women's bodies by making all first trimester abortions illegal can't stop it from happening, why are we doing it?

Oops, now I remember! It's about THE LIVES of six-week old fetuses (BABIES!!!). But yet, when it comes to guns, apparent the same heart-felt concern for living, breathing 10-year old children isn't worth lifting a legislative finger for.

THere is certainly no overnight solution, but we can start by going back an updated version of the assault weapon ban that expired under the Bush administration, and obviously things like better background checks, waiting periods etc would probably help to a degree. I would also personally make everything illegal outside of hand guns and hunting rifles and things of that nature, but would still apply more restrictions on those things as well.

I disagree, Cubs79. To 'fail' would mean we actually tried different strategies to deal with gun violence and, sadly, none of them worked.

The truth is this country's leaders have watched this insanity happen again and again and again and have deliberately chosen to do nothing at all to address it.

This is true. It is more like they just dont care.

That's a good question. I don't know what the answer is, to be honest.

What would you do?
I think that I’ve posted something like this before. IMO, you have to address all of the facets that lead to people deciding to take this type of horrific action.

1. Harden the schools. This is probably the lowest hanging fruit. The obvious is having an armed professional, not necessarily a police officer, as the first deterrent. Also address this with technological solutions. Invest in the low technology door barriers and physical solution. Also, maybe invest in something higher technology, like a small UGV solution deployed at every school to provide rapid unmanned response to neutralize the aggressor. Also, lock the doors so people that shouldn’t get in can’t get in.

2. Enforce the laws on the books that are already in place to keep guns out of the hands of people that won’t live by the rules of society. This includes prosecuting juveniles for their crimes in schools and mandating that all police and military agencies file their data with the federal databases. Strengthen laws to punish people who don’t secure their firearms reasonably and get them stolen.

3. Tighten up the borders and the ports of entry. Almost anything that you can imagine is smuggled into this country daily. You could outlaw guns in this country entirely and people who want guns will still get them with relative ease.

4. Address the lack of mental health care opportunities in this country. Then encourage people to use them. Let’s make a mental health checkup become as routine as your yearly physical or your dental cleaning.

5. Begin to address the current societal climate that is producing people that are willing to commit these heinous acts. Start pushing initiatives that celebrate our commonalities rather than exploit our differences. Re-establish the community. Encourage two-parent families and support them so that they can engage with their children. Maybe even get back to a normal where only one parent is working. Stop trying to remove responsibility for these children from the parents and putting it on the state. Push the responsibility back to parents, empower them, and support them so that they can be more in touch with the children they are raising. Identify the small percentage of truly incapable parents and engage systems to either right their ships or intervene at that point. Create an incentive programs for parents receiving assistance based upon the performance of their children. I.e., if your kid is getting good grades and is mentoring at boys and girls club, you get a bonus check. Your kid goes to college, you get a bonus check.

There are a bunch of other things that are less realistic at this moment. These are the ones that I’d start with. One thing that I do know is that we cannot stop murderous intent through banning one tool or another. There are substances in your household right now that could pose as significant a threat as any “assault weapon” and the internet has all the information. We can try to make it harder but this won’t end without addressing the underlying causes that drive people to do these things.

I think that I’ve posted something like this before. IMO, you have to address all of the facets that lead to people deciding to take this type of horrific action.

1. Harden the schools. This is probably the lowest hanging fruit. The obvious is having an armed professional, not necessarily a police officer, as the first deterrent. Also address this with technological solutions. Invest in the low technology door barriers and physical solution. Also, maybe invest in something higher technology, like a small UGV solution deployed at every school to provide rapid unmanned response to neutralize the aggressor. Also, lock the doors so people that shouldn’t get in can’t get in.

2. Enforce the laws on the books that are already in place to keep guns out of the hands of people that won’t live by the rules of society. This includes prosecuting juveniles for their crimes in schools and mandating that all police and military agencies file their data with the federal databases. Strengthen laws to punish people who don’t secure their firearms reasonably and get them stolen.

3. Tighten up the borders and the ports of entry. Almost anything that you can imagine is smuggled into this country daily. You could outlaw guns in this country entirely and people who want guns will still get them with relative ease.

4. Address the lack of mental health care opportunities in this country. Then encourage people to use them. Let’s make a mental health checkup become as routine as your yearly physical or your dental cleaning.

5. Begin to address the current societal climate that is producing people that are willing to commit these heinous acts. Start pushing initiatives that celebrate our commonalities rather than exploit our differences. Re-establish the community. Encourage two-parent families and support them so that they can engage with their children. Maybe even get back to a normal where only one parent is working. Stop trying to remove responsibility for these children from the parents and putting it on the state. Push the responsibility back to parents, empower them, and support them so that they can be more in touch with the children they are raising. Identify the small percentage of truly incapable parents and engage systems to either right their ships or intervene at that point. Create an incentive programs for parents receiving assistance based upon the performance of their children. I.e., if your kid is getting good grades and is mentoring at boys and girls club, you get a bonus check. Your kid goes to college, you get a bonus check.

There are a bunch of other things that are less realistic at this moment. These are the ones that I’d start with. One thing that I do know is that we cannot stop murderous intent through banning one tool or another. There are substances in your household right now that could pose as significant a threat as any “assault weapon” and the internet has all the information. We can try to make it harder but this won’t end without addressing the underlying causes that drive people to do these things.
Schools generally have an armed officer on campus. In the case of the Texas shooter, it seems he was engaged by officers before entering the classroom. Also unless you are subjecting kids to metal detectors and bag scans, simply having an officer somewhere on a school campus doesn’t stop someone from getting a gun into a position to kill students. It also doesn’t address the myriad of other public spaces where mass shootings take place.

I have no problems with increased security at schools, but I am also not for basically treating the country as a police state or war torn country. Plus, many schools already have security. The other thing, is that it isnt just about schools. The shooting in Buffalo had an armed guard, and he was the first one shot and killed.

I also dont really understand what people mean by enforcing the laws on the books. Texas has pretty loose gun laws. This guy legally bought his guns, so the what laws would have have broken to enforce that would have stopped this? Enforcing laws does nothing to stop this, if the only laws broken are the act itself. Can you clarify what laws could have been enforced to stop this? People say this, but I rarely know what they are talking about.

Schools generally have an armed officer on campus. In the case of the Texas shooter, it seems he was engaged by officers before entering the classroom. Also unless you are subjecting kids to metal detectors and bag scans, simply having an officer somewhere on a school campus doesn’t stop someone from getting a gun into a position to kill students. It also doesn’t address the myriad of other public spaces where mass shootings take place.
lmao, buffalo supermarket had an armed guard on duty who engaged the terrorist; however the terrorist had body armor and an assault rifle, having an armed guard did nothing.

Whoever you are responding to is a moron.

Not to mention playgrounds. ONe of the first shootings like this I remember was in Arkansas when the kid pulled the fire alarm and then started shooting people when they were outside. More security is fine, but it unless we are going to surround schools with police or the national guard or something, I cant possible see how a few SRO are going to be able to stop all of this.

1. Harden the schools.
Turn them into prisons! Yeah, America The Police State!!! That's the ticket, by golly! :rolleyes:
2. Enforce the laws on the books
Okay. :rolleyes:
3. Tighten up the borders and the ports of entry.
Yeah, this issue is REALLY all about border security! -- nothing about the asinine gun carry laws in many states.
4. Address the lack of mental health care opportunities in this country.
Agreed. And you know what? Maybe, just maybe keeping people with documented mental issues from purchasing a gun might be good step to take too, ya think?
5. Begin to address the current societal climate that is producing people that are willing to commit these heinous acts.
You do know this attrocity took place in a God-fearing, rural Texas community of 14,000 people, right?
One thing that I do know is that we cannot stop murderous intent through banning one tool or another.
NOW we get to it!!!! OF COURSE, THIS GEM is what your spewed out the above crappola to state (yet AGAIN). Tell me, why do people outside of law enforcement need assault rifes or body armor?

I have no problems with increased security at schools, but I am also not for basically treating the country as a police state or war torn country. Plus, many schools already have security. The other thing, is that it isnt just about schools. The shooting in Buffalo had an armed guard, and he was the first one shot and killed.

I also dont really understand what people mean by enforcing the laws on the books. Texas has pretty loose gun laws. This guy legally bought his guns, so the what laws would have have broken to enforce that would have stopped this? Enforcing laws does nothing to stop this, if the only laws broken are the act itself. Can you clarify what laws could have been enforced to stop this? People say this, but I rarely know what they are talking about.
Many of the mass shooters were not legally carrying their weapons and my thoughts weren’t limited to one situation. Enforcing the laws in those cases might have stopped them. Also, we don’t know if this kid has a juvenile record or not.

If you’re truly interested in learning what people mean when they say this, then there are plenty of sites on the inter webs that answer that question exactly.

Not to mention playgrounds. ONe of the first shootings like this I remember was in Arkansas when the kid pulled the fire alarm and then started shooting people when they were outside. More security is fine, but it unless we are going to surround schools with police or the national guard or something, I cant possible see how a few SRO are going to be able to stop all of this.
Hence why it is a deterrent and not a solution. Most of the mass shooting occur at places where there is no expectation of armed resistance.

He was engaged by the SRO and exchanged gunfire. This caused the shooter to drop a bag of ammunition. The SRO was wounded. Texas also has funding and laws for school Marshalls that would be school employees that are trained to respond with force. And other things.

You’re right, this wouldn’t eliminate shootings in other places. It wouldn’t eliminate someone driving their car through a parade. Or any of a number of other ways that people commit atrocities. Taking away the tools and shuttering up isn’t going to solve the underlying issue. Which is why I didn’t limit what I proposed to gun control and school defense.

Hence why it is a deterrent and not a solution. Most of the mass shooting occur at places where there is no expectation of armed resistance.

So basically we should all just be armed every moment of our lives then. I am sure that is going to work out great.

He was engaged by the SRO and exchanged gunfire. This caused the shooter to drop a bag of ammunition. The SRO was wounded. Texas also has funding and laws for school Marshalls that would be school employees that are trained to respond with force. And other things.

You’re right, this wouldn’t eliminate shootings in other places. It wouldn’t eliminate someone driving their car through a parade. Or any of a number of other ways that people commit atrocities. Taking away the tools and shuttering up isn’t going to solve the underlying issue. Which is why I didn’t limit what I proposed to gun control and school defense.
Eliminating one easy way to commit mass murder would be a step in the right direction. Short of that I guess we need a semi-police state in public areas that are now soft targets. Armed security everywhere. Pulse shooter was a security guard so I guess even then you start to run out of ideas of ways to prevent a problem that no other first world country has to the same degree.

Many of the mass shooters were not legally carrying their weapons and my thoughts weren’t limited to one situation. Enforcing the laws in those cases might have stopped them. Also, we don’t know if this kid has a juvenile record or not.

If you’re truly interested in learning what people mean when they say this, then there are plenty of sites on the inter webs that answer that question exactly.

If purchasing the guns wasnt illegal, not having a permit wasnt illegal, and having them in public wasnt illegal (texas is an open carry state), Texas has no red flag laws, etc etc. Then what did he do illegal prior to the act that would have warranted legal intervention? The answer is nothing. Saying we should enforce the laws is pointless, if the laws are weak to begin with.

Eliminating one easy way to commit mass murder would be a step in the right direction. Short of that I guess we need a semi-police state in public areas that are now soft targets. Armed security everywhere. Pulse shooter was a security guard so I guess even then you start to run out of ideas of ways to prevent a problem that no other first world country has even close to the same degree.
If you can actually eliminate guns in this country, and I mean get rid of all of them for good, then you’d find broad agreement from all walks of life.

ADVERTISEMENT