ADVERTISEMENT

ANY QUESTIONS FOR COACH HEUPEL DURING MONDAY APPEARANCE ON OPEN MIKE?

MBianchi

Three-Star Recruit
Sep 11, 2002
Reminder: Let us know if you have any questions you want us to ask Coach Heupel during his appearance on Open Mike on Monday morning. He will be on at 6:15 a.m. and we will replay the interview at 8:15 a.m. You can hear it in Orlando on FM 96.9, AM 740, HD radio 101.1-2.

There are too many questions

Will we finally see Mack since we expect a blowout?

Why were our lines dominated?

The last 58 seconds of the game was disappointing. Is there a better package that can be added to pickup the blitz in a know passing situation. Normally 58 seconds is plenty of time to get into field goal range, but DG didn't have chance to set his feet to throw a pass.:sunglasses:

Reactions: RCallaLillie
The last 58 seconds of the game was disappointing. Is there a better package that can be added to pickup the blitz in a know passing situation. Normally 58 seconds is plenty of time to get into field goal range, but DG didn't have chance to set his feet to throw a pass.:sunglasses:
It was so painfully ugly, I left. We couldn’t do better than that? Not sure why we burned all of our timeouts

Watched it on the monitors

1) Are there more than 3 plays in our playbook? 2) does he know how to use our speed advantage across the middle and in space? 3) what adjustments were made when the up the middle run never worked? 4) why take the extra time after the snap to show RPO when the QB never keeps the ball? 5) did you notice on film the strength of their team is in the trenches, and how did you game plan for it. Or did you even bother?

It was so painfully ugly, I left. We couldn’t do better than that? Not sure why we burned all of our timeouts

Watched it on the monitors
I need to go back and watch the end of the game. I think we had one of the smaller RB in for pass protection in the last drive. Last year we had a goal line package with Tristen Hill. It would be nice to have bigger guy (over 210 )blocking to give DG a few seconds to pass in a know blitz situation. If he had a few seconds our receivers were beating the coverage should have been able to get in feild goal range to win the game.:sunglasses:

Last edited:
I need to go back and watch the end of the game. I think we had one of the smaller RB in for pass protection in the last drive. Last year we had a goal line package with Terel Troup. It would be nice to have bigger guy (over 210 )blocking to give DG a few seconds to pass in a know blitz situation. If he had a few seconds our receivers were beating the coverage should have been able to get in feild goal range to win the game.:sunglasses:
Troupe has been gone for years. He’s retired from NFL now. Probably for a few years. You mean Bone?

I would like to understand the reasoning behind not going for the touchdown instead of the field goal when earlier in the game we went for it. By kicking the field goal you automatically then made Pitt have to use 4 downs all the way down the field until they scored or we stopped them. Essentially the field goal did nothing for us and forced them to play to win.

I would like to understand the reasoning behind not going for the touchdown instead of the field goal when earlier in the game we went for it. By kicking the field goal you automatically then made Pitt have to use 4 downs all the way down the field until they scored or we stopped them. Essentially the field goal did nothing for us and forced them to play to win.
First one was two yards. Second was like 4-7 yards?

I'd like to know after all the unsuccessful runs up the middle why he decided to run the same play on 4th and 2 that hadn't worked the whole game? Also has he submitted his resignation to Danny White yet for the atrocious play calling?

My question for Heup: Your team is getting dominated in the trenches, but you have fast backs and receivers that are beating their corners all day, what type of plays seem most appropriate for this situation?
Or the short version: where was UCFast?

1. Do you think anyone in college football thinks Wimbush ISN'T going to run when at the goal line?

2. When a team is blitzing for the 500th time and you know it's going to be another blitz, have you considered throwing short over the top to make them pay for being too aggressive?

3. At what point during this season will we see a 4th different play? The running up the middle, the bombs and the occasional screen seems pretty predictable at this point.

4. Has anyone told you that Killins is not a powerback?

Any message to the UCF fans that are still 100% behind Heupel, the coaches and our student-athletes, knowing we're still a team that goes 1-0 and will 10x more this season?

Thinking back at the two late 4th down calls, can he talk us through his thought process on both and would he change either call if he had to do it over again?

I feel like those ended up being the two biggest decisions of the game. Appreciate it Mike!

1. Do you think anyone in college football thinks Wimbush ISN'T going to run when at the goal line?

2. When a team is blitzing for the 500th time and you know it's going to be another blitz, have you considered throwing short over the top to make them pay for being too aggressive?

3. At what point during this season will we see a 4th different play? The running up the middle, the bombs and the occasional screen seems pretty predictable at this point.

4. Has anyone told you that Killins is not a powerback?
Dillon most of the time threw to where they were blitzing from. It worked a lot and if not he was getting hit and throwing interceptions. Perhaps the hot routes weren’t open.

Does a playbook that has 3-4 plays in it need an index? Table of contents? How many pages are in it?

Does each player have 2 playbooks? One small one with plays used for games during the season and one with just a bunch of unimportant gibberish that would probably just confuse them?

What happened to the QB running plays in the playbook? Did you spill Dunkin Donuts coffee on them? Did some QB rip them out and burn them?

I’m kidding!!!

Last edited:
He started running down the sideline on the final Pitt play, did he notice something and was he wanting to call a timeout but didn’t have one left?

Thanks!

He started running down the sideline on the final Pitt play, did he notice something and was he wanting to call a timeout but didn’t have one left?

Thanks!
I’m sure he noticed the QB going wide and the “rb” getting ready to get snap. On more than 1 occasion our defense was looking at each other changing call when ball was snapped. Then scramble to find their assignment.

Do you think putting French Fries ON your sandwich is a stupid idea?

Heinz ketchup or Hunts ?

Reactions: UCFBS
So Coach Heupel, about that playcalling:

source.gif

Reactions: JAFFX2
ADVERTISEMENT