ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody watch Adam Ruins Everything?

MACHater02

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2003
Saint Petersburg, Fl
The premise is the host reveals things about companies or societal norms that most people don't know. For example, Toms shoes actually hurts the countries its supposed to be helping. With their buy a pair give a pair program. Another example was that diamond engagement rings didn't exist until De Beers started an ad campaign around it 60 years ago. Diamonds aren't actually rare De Beers just controls the supply.

The most interesting one I saw was around the company Luxottica. They own Oakley, Ray Ban, Lenscrafters, Sunglass Hut, Pearle Vision, Sears Optical, Target Optical, Glasses.com, and the Eyemed Vision care plan. They also manufacture the glasses for nearly every designer brand, including Chanel, Prada, Giorgio Armani, Burberry, Versace, Dolce and Gabbana, Miu Miu, Donna Karan, Stella McCartney, and Tory Burch. Hence the reason a pair of eyeglasses can easily run you $300+.

I've seen a few episodes. It's 50/50 for me, although I find myself flipping the channel more often than not. I like living in the Matrix.

I saw the one he did on flushable wipes. Meh, it was ok.

I saw the same exposé on Luxottica several years ago on 60 Minutes.

Don't even know what Toms shoes are. Known about the diamond scam for decades now. Sunglasses no shock there.

I'm all for anything that exposes lazy/bad capitalism. They should do defense contractors & textbook companies.

I enjoy the show - but half of it is BS that just depends on how you look at something. (a lot of confirmation bias as 85 said)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT