ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone catch Donnie Jones in the stands?

It was a indeed a very different crowd. So many, many middle-aged, quality sports fans and alums rather than just us old fogies. I just checked my picture of our packed sideline and could find a single child -- this was serious, historic business and not the usual, casual party outing atmosphere for a game!

Antonio Davis was also there last night. Not sure how many games he has attended. UCF Athletics needs to send him some better UCF swag.

Antonio Davis was also there last night. Not sure how many games he has attended. UCF Athletics needs to send him some better UCF swag.
Coincidentally, just saw him doing an ESPN commercial based on his rep as a rebounder.

Because he was fired because he stunk so bad. I don't think I'd hang around an employer that fired me.
I don't think there was hard feelings there as Donnie knows he didn't elevate the program as we expected.

I'm glad that he's still able to be around the school and program. And with the connections that Dawkins has it's smart on Donnie's part to associate with him and the program. Not to mention these were his players and he's proud to see them having success.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Donnie was a good person and could judge talent no doubt. Why some of our fans have to be so low class about these things I will never understand.
UCF fans have a long history of scorning their previous coaches in most sports. When ya have little history of success stoke program pride, those who like to dump on everyone get most of the attention.

You wouldn't, because you're not him and he would and he did. Never burn bridges. A new prospective employer will look at him at least as a class act, whatever future postition he may choose.

LOL. KL answered the question. He wasn't hanging around his employer that canned him. That would be weird. He was working for his new employer. Makes sense.

It isn't weird he was here quite awhile and these are mostly his kids.
They are all his kids except Nick (and Nate). We don't even have any eligible frosh. Chad, Djeorgi, BJ, AJ, Tacko, Tank, and Matt came a long way under Donnie's staff coaching. I think Dawkins initially underestimated the quality and potential they offered, as well as their coachability. Not in any way understating Dawkins' miraculous turnaround. But you need talent, experience, and fundamentals to work with. Also, remember that Kirk left Donnie with tons of talent, too (perhaps because Speraw thought he had one more year to show performance). So both coaches paid it forward.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Saw him at a game earlier in the year as well. Good guy. Could kind of recruit. Couldn't develop anybody, though.

I wonder if he stuck around to see his old player Brandon Goodwin light it up for FGCU.
watched Goodwin vs FSU...really talented player but seems like a hothead. Did he leave UCF after Dawkins implemented the early morning off season training or before?

watched Goodwin vs FSU...really talented player but seems like a hothead. Did he leave UCF after Dawkins implemented the early morning off season training or before?
It was a bad draw for FGC. FSU's system (all frustrating defense, like SMU, plus full court press) and the players they recruit (always the tallest in the nation) can make anyone look bad and frustrated. They did that to us 5 or 6 years ago.

Goodwin was kicked out of the program by Coach Jones back around May-June 2015, hence why Goodwin redshirted last season at FGCU (had plenty of time to finally work on his fundamentals like FT shooting).

Last edited:
Goodwin was kicked out of the program by Coach Jones back around June 2015, hence why Goodwin redshirted last season at FGCU (had plenty of time to finally work on his fundamentals like FT shooting).
What an asset he could have been had he been allowed to stay after the "bike incident." His outrageous quickness on drives complemented BJ's muscular acrobatics, and he's a natural point guard who has exactly what this team entirely lacks: ball handing, steals, and assists. It would have provided the depth to rest Matt and BJ minutes each per game and run 3 guard offenses like every other team we've faced. Would have meant enough wins to make an NCAA run.

What an asset he could have been had he been allowed to stay after the "bike incident." His outrageous quickness on drives complemented BJ's muscular acrobatics, and he's a natural point guard who has exactly what this team entirely lacks: ball handing, steals, and assists. It would have provided the depth to rest Matt and BJ minutes each per game and run 3 guard offenses like every other team we've faced. Would have meant enough wins to make an NCAA run.
That's what I said a few weeks ago being an fgcu fan as well as a UCF fan... Goodwin really did a great job this past year mentoring zach Johnson who will be the next star guard to lead fgcu to another NCAA appearance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT