ADVERTISEMENT

Apple Event - New iPad Pro, New iPhones, New Apple TV(?)

KnightedIbis

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Sep 2, 2003
So far they have shown some Watch BS and now are on to the iPad Pro (aimed at enterprise users)...

Got to say, it looks like a sex piece of technology. Interested to see how it stacks up to the Surface 3 pro in reviews...

Supposed to be very limited in the first go around, I know I'm going to look to arbitrage that one.

I'm interested in the new Apple TV. Hopefully they surprise everybody by announcing their tv streaming service as well.

... now are on to the iPad Pro (aimed at enterprise users)...
Got to say, it looks like a sex piece of technology. Interested to see how it stacks up to the Surface 3 pro in reviews...
Microsoft was smart with the Surface 3 Pro's line-up and marketing.

They finally stopped trying to compete with the Android on the low-end (and got rid of ARM/RT hardware/software altogether with the Atom-based Surface 3 Non-Pro later), and create some seriously marked-up i5 and, better yet, i7 units that Middle Managers and higher say, "I have to have to do my job ... give them our money already IT!"

Apple cannot ignore that. If it sells more Intel, Intel definitely loves it too ... especially with their bottom line as of late as they abandoned ARM back in the mid '00s.

Supposed to be very limited in the first go around, I know I'm going to look to arbitrage that one.
Technology exclusivity is the new car for Generation-Y. They will spend thousands upon thousands a year trying to "keep up with the tech Jones," especially the more they are in tech.

I am constantly berated by my associates, the same ones who constantly call me for help and pull me into situations they get themselves into, because I am always 1-2 gens behind them in tech. And they wonder why they are in debt? Kids with $100K+ in student loans have far better equipment than I do too.

Yet I get by just fine. ;)

I might be inclined to buy an Apple TV if the Sling app is available. It's already available in the app store but with this being a "new" opperating system, I hope they port it as well.

That TV looks pretty cool
I thought so too. A lot of marketing BS, sorry Apple I don't want to shop Gilt on my TV, nor do I care about the MLB stuff - but I know people like it. The game I saw a screen shot of was ho-hum for how big that market will be.

But an app store on an Apple TV is where it's at for me. And I like the voice commands, being able to bring info right up on screen of a movie. That will be awesome for me.

UCFBS, those are the people I love to arbitrage. Hopefully I'll get an Apple TV paid for out of the deal.

Reactions: UCFBS
That TV looks pretty cool
Apple will always be an industry leader, even post-Jobs. We'll see how much inertia and brand loyalty they can continue to carry though.

My favorite device vendor continues to be nVidia. I'm seriously considering dropping some dough for nVidia's streaming TV solution. Even though it's a year old, most people who use my nVidia Shield Tablet don't want to go back to any other Android tablet.

Although I am fearful Fool is right here ... nVidia probably won't stick with general, end-consumer products. Just not worth it in volume. They will stick with chips, and the rare enthusiast market like PC gaming where they are selling components for 3 figures.
- http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...porations-tablet-recall-reveals-somethin.aspx

Amazon makes a decent Android off-shoot in the FireOS, but outside of select applications in a tablet capacity, it leaves much to be desired as far as ecosystem. Which just leaves Google and Apple.

Google can sustain their products worth crap, build one of the least standardized off-shoots of any Linux-based platform (which will bite them long-term), and over-state their actual results. Apple sustains better, charges a buttload, and consumers are will to pay (or their parents pay) for it. Not much choice.

I must say, the 3D touch stuff looks amazing for a phone. I won't buy it, but I'm really looking forward to using it one day.

I still prefer to use SmartTV on my Samsung set after reading the features so far.

I'm open to change since I'm a year out from a new TV, so they have their chance.

I must say, the 3D touch stuff looks amazing for a phone. I won't buy it, but I'm really looking forward to using it one day.
Huawei actually showed the same thing off in China earlier this week.

There's honestly becoming too many ways to watch "TV". Eventually someone is going to have to consolidate and smash the other competition to form "the" way. If I'm counting, I can currently watch "TV" via cable, satellite, Roku, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Slingbox, Fire stick, HBO GO, etc etc etc

It's too much.

The MLB stuff was awesome for me, I'm hoping that the existing Apple TV's are able to handle that.

There's honestly becoming too many ways to watch "TV". Eventually someone is going to have to consolidate and smash the other competition to form "the" way. If I'm counting, I can currently watch "TV" via cable, satellite, Roku, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Slingbox, Fire stick, HBO GO, etc etc etc

It's too much.

Not at all, commie.

Reactions: jetsaholic

It's too much.
Blame the content providers. They were way late to the digital age. I.e., Big Media thought they could control it all ... and now their profits are way down.

Plus they blocked MBone and Multicast Broadband, resulting in our current, grossly inefficient use of streaming via Unicast.

I'm hoping that changes in the near term.

But even some of what you stated is Apple' Oranges. E.g., Roku is just a consolidation device for many streaming options you also mentioned.

I still prefer to use SmartTV on my Samsung set after reading the features so far.

I'm open to change since I'm a year out from a new TV, so they have their chance.
Out of curiosity, I have two Samsung TVs, both about 1-2 years old. And while I love the smart features - the newer one runs better - they crap the bed non-stop. It got to the point where I stopped trying.

I have my xbox one/apple tv in the living room and apple tv/amazon fire stick in the bed room. The fire stick is better than the Samsung in my experience, but also has an occasional crash. The Apple TV and Xbox run everything fairly flawlessly.

did the watch get onboard gps? until then it is junk to me

I'm right there with you. I bought and sold three at launch. Considered keeping one, but the feature set just isn't there yet, not sure if it ever will be.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I have two Samsung TVs, both about 1-2 years old. And while I love the smart features - the newer one runs better - they crap the bed non-stop. It got to the point where I stopped trying.

I have my xbox one/apple tv in the living room and apple tv/amazon fire stick in the bed room. The fire stick is better than the Samsung in my experience, but also has an occasional crash. The Apple TV and Xbox run everything fairly flawlessly.

Really? My newer one had the platform crash twice, but after they updated the platform several months back, I have had zero problems.

All I use are Netflix, Prime, Youtube, and LAN access to my media server, all over wifi ( the big reason I stick with Samsung is those tvs are out of the box compatible with more codecs than other tvs I've tried, LG and Vizio. This way I can keep all UCF games in whatever codec I download it in without having to convert in myself, because I'm lazy ).

How much differently do you use yours?

Really? My newer one had the platform crash twice, but after they updated the platform several months back, I have had zero problems.

All I use are Netflix, Prime, Youtube, and LAN access to my media server, all over wifi ( the big reason I stick with Samsung is those tvs are out of the box compatible with more codecs than other tvs I've tried, LG and Vizio. This way I can keep all UCF games in whatever codec I download it in without having to convert in myself, because I'm lazy ).

That's interesting. So the one I bought in Nov 2013 would hang up at least once on every movie played in Plex - which was such a shame because it is such a beautiful platform - now I rely solely on iTunes for movies streaming (and old games) - I basically have to convert them all. Major Pita.

Netflix was just super slow as was Prime for me on the old one, the new one is a year newer and it started crashing almost every time I played something back in Netflix and Amazon. I just gave up.

I wanted some feature where I could go back and shut down processes - it just seemed like it was overwhelmed.

Fwiw, it sounds like very similar usage - for me the speed is definitely noticeable on both the xbox and apple tv compared to the others, even baring the crashes that was enough for me. The bad thing is, I don't have access to plex (hopefully the new Apple TV gets an App) outside of the Samsung, and I'm just not willing to try at this point because itunes is serving the need.

It's too much.
Nah, dude, the more the merier. I've been cable free for months, I cut my bill by more than 50% and I have so many options, I never feel like I'm missing out. The day where we get to pay to watch only what we want and that's it is upon us finally. Embrace it.

If the Apple TV can carry the Sling app, then it's pretty much a wrap unless the Roku4 is all that and a bag of chips.

I bought a new Samsung in June and I agree- it provides most everything I need and so far the operation of the apps have been flawless. They've also added HBO GO which so far has worked perfectly.

The only issue has been MLB.TV at times but nothing too awful.

That's why I question the need for Apple TV (or comparable) since I get most of these already via the Samsung Smart TV feature.

Reactions: brahmanknight
That's interesting. So the one I bought in Nov 2013 would hang up at least once on every movie played in Plex - which was such a shame because it is such a beautiful platform - now I rely solely on iTunes for movies streaming (and old games) - I basically have to convert them all. Major Pita.

Netflix was just super slow as was Prime for me on the old one, the new one is a year newer and it started crashing almost every time I played something back in Netflix and Amazon. I just gave up.

I wanted some feature where I could go back and shut down processes - it just seemed like it was overwhelmed.

Fwiw, it sounds like very similar usage - for me the speed is definitely noticeable on both the xbox and apple tv compared to the others, even baring the crashes that was enough for me. The bad thing is, I don't have access to plex (hopefully the new Apple TV gets an App) outside of the Samsung, and I'm just not willing to try at this point because itunes is serving the need.

The other day I ordered Vikings via the Amazon Prime app on my Samsung. It downloaded in roughly 10 seconds and the video quality was perfect HD.

So interesting.. I've had to shut my samsung down a number of times just to get it out of a hung up app.

If mine worked as well as yours two did, I'd probably be without at least the Fire Stick.

That's why I question the need for Apple TV (or comparable) since I get most of these already via the Samsung Smart TV feature.
The app store, gaming, exclusive content, Apple's upcomint live tv streaming system which includes all major networks and ESPN, etc.

Basically, it's like buying a cable box on steroids that you don't have to pay over a gazillion times over the duration of your contract. Verizon was charging me $10 x box (I had 2) + $20 TO USE the fukcing boxes!!!!! That pays up for a 64GB Apple TV in just 5 months.

Were you using the set wired or wireless?

Before I moved my wifi router ( originally 30+feet away thru multiple walls ) it would occasionally drop. Now it only happens when there are more than 15 devices active at one time.

If I had my whole library in iTunes, Apple TV is the way to go. I think I have three total in iTunes.

I've attempted to go with Plex three time, but it was just easier for me to do without it. It is a nice mplatform tho.

It's too much.
There used to be just these to wear to play sports
Converse_1970s_Chuck_Taylor_All_Star_Black_preview.jpg

Now there are basketball shoes, running shoes, tennis shoes, etc
I don't see anyone trying to make the one shoe that will do it all again.

Why the hell would anyone get an iPad Pro when you can get a Surface Pro 3 that includes the stylus and double the storage for the same exact price? And how in the world is that aimed at enterprise?
Because it's Apple. ;)

But yes, I agree. In a business environment, where Win32-x86 compatibility and the related ecosystem is paramount ... Apple is going to have the same issue they've always had selling against PCs for an office.

Furthermore, Microsoft "struck first." Apple is hopeful if they wish to break into that market. At most they're going to get those executives who say, "Oh ... I have the Apple iPad Pro that costs more than your Surface 3 Pro!" But it only goes so far.

Why the hell would anyone get an iPad Pro when you can get a Surface Pro 3 that includes the stylus and double the storage for the same exact price? And how in the world is that aimed at enterprise?
Because the boardroom is filled with aging boomers and women now who "totally want something to "link" with their iPhone, man."

Because the boardroom is filled with aging boomers and women now who "totally want something to "link" with their iPhone, man."

Brand loyalty...

My company has been slowly heading towards the Apple Universe - first it was iPhones, then iPads, now there are rumors macbooks are coming. I could see them going to iPad Pros for some of the positions in lieu of a macbook. If we had apple tv's (cheap ones) in each conference room and could airplay from laptops it would save so many complaints about adapters and resolution settings, blah blah.

For what it's worth, I think the Surface 3 Pro is an awesome machine.

Brah, it could be my wireless set up, but everything else plays nice with it.

Brand loyalty...

My company has been slowly heading towards the Apple Universe - first it was iPhones, then iPads, now there are rumors macbooks are coming. I could see them going to iPad Pros for some of the positions in lieu of a macbook. If we had apple tv's (cheap ones) in each conference room and could airplay from laptops it would save so many complaints about adapters and resolution settings, blah blah.

For what it's worth, I think the Surface 3 Pro is an awesome machine.

Brah, it could be my wireless set up, but everything else plays nice with it.
I just can't see this. I get all the brand loyalty and ease of use stuff but I can't imagine a corporate professional doing their entire job with an iPad. It still doesn't have a mouse, remember.

Soon Microsoft will unveil new Surface devices and phones that can be docked and used almost like PCs. Can't wait. No one will buy them and Apple will come out with the same thing in 2 years and sell a zillion of them. But at least we'll know where technology is headed!

Oh and...

I just can't see this. I get all the brand loyalty and ease of use stuff but I can't imagine a corporate professional doing their entire job with an iPad. It still doesn't have a mouse, remember.

Soon Microsoft will unveil new Surface devices and phones that can be docked and used almost like PCs. Can't wait. No one will buy them and Apple will come out with the same thing in 2 years and sell a zillion of them. But at least we'll know where technology is headed!

Oh and...
I will be very interested in a Surface Pro 4 depending on price.

Wait I just realized that the iPhone 6s still uses the lightning connector. Wow. Guess we'll have to wait for the iPhone 7 for them to use USB-C. Apple was one of the first to go USB-C on a laptop and they'll be one of the last on the phone. Bizarre.

Wait I just realized that the iPhone 6s still uses the lightning connector. Wow. Guess we'll have to wait for the iPhone 7 for them to use USB-C. Apple was one of the first to go USB-C on a laptop and they'll be one of the last on the phone. Bizarre.
It's easier for Apple's ODMs (FIC, FoxConn, etc...) to change a modular PC board, even those in Mini-ITX or Nano-ITX size, late in design than on a very tightly integrated, embedded device that incurs major impacts from just the slightest of changes (especially anything power or communication-related).

But this also, likely suggests that Apple is no longer driving most of their internal designs. I.e., the Chinese/Taiwanese are actually designing their internals now, with Apple merely giving input and telling them what they want. Hence why Apple cannot redesign it very quickly.

Kinda like Google is now doing with Huawei for their next, flagship product, as LG is taking a backseat. The days of US engineering leading design are quickly closing. And we'll start to see more and more Chinese/Taiwanese ODMs just start going directly, cutting the US OEM out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT