ADVERTISEMENT

Are we playing for a National Championship?

If we beat LSU, are we National Champions?

• Yes

Votes: 33 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 55 62.5%

• Total voters
Who is "we"? OP is a Gator Fan...I don't think UF will be playing for a National Championship this year...just like they haven't done for basically the last decade and probably the upcoming decade to come.

Just think of it like boxing where there are multiple world championship belts until they fix the CFP.

Being the only undefeated team in FBS last year was a big part of the claim to me. The Colley Matrix made it record book official. The transitive property of the Auburn win was beautiful icing on the cake. This year just isn't playing out the same way. I think DW would find other ways to push the broken system.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Being the only undefeated team in FBS last year was a big part of the claim to me. The Colley Matrix made it record book official. The transitive property of the Auburn win was beautiful icing on the cake. This year just isn't playing out the same way. I think DW would find other ways to push the broken system.

I think the same thing. Undefeated + Colley Matrix + Auburn win did it for me last year.

This year we only have the undefeated season (won't get Colley this time) and LSU sucks so don't think it makes sense to claim another one. It's still effed up to me that we didn't get into the playoffs after 2 undefeated seasons. For that reason alone, I will be okay with whatever DW does (if he claims it, I'll have his back).

I think the same thing. Undefeated + Colley Matrix + Auburn win did it for me last year.

This year we only have the undefeated season (won't get Colley this time) and LSU sucks so don't think it makes sense to claim another one. It's still effed up to me that we didn't get into the playoffs after 2 undefeated seasons. For that reason alone, I will be okay with whatever DW does (if he claims it, I'll have his back).

No. It's a fake system anyway, so we can make as many fake national championships as we want. I'm also making Milton a fake player of the year award. The entire system is garbage so why give it any respect?

Reactions: KnightVision82
No. It's a fake system anyway, so we can make as many fake national championships as we want. I'm also making Milton a fake player of the year award. The entire system is garbage so why give it any respect?

We should name Danny White CFI chairman for life and have completely separate committee meetings and rankings next year.

Maybe if Oklahoma wins the CFP. Last year was a very specific set of circumstances. We should've been in the CFP, but if say, Alabama wins the tournament not only should we not claim it again, I think doing so would delegitimize last year's claim. DW is smart enough to see this.

Reactions: Crazyhole
I’m not sure beating Michigan is worthy of a national championship claim. Especially since Florida has an actual path to the official playoff.

I say yes on one condition. We need one legitimate poll to crown us. Last year was the Colley Matrix...need one of the computers to go our way. Which means we probably need OU to beat Bama and Clemson to lose to ND or OU.

I say claim whatever you want. It's not like it really matters quite honestly. A national championship isnt the equivalent of winning the super bowl, and even at that, the winner of the super bowl isnt necessarily the best team in the NFL, its just the team who won the last game. The whole thing is kind of stupid really. If UCF and Alabama played 10 games against each other and Bama won the first 9 but lost the 10th, UCF is the champ in the end.

Just take undefeated for what it is: proof that you're better than any team you played on the day you played them. It's not like any given team would beat every other team in every single matchup every day of the week.

Just go 1-0 every time you play.

What if we just claim "Even Championer than Bama." Or Championest! Double Badass Champs. National Champs Financial level 1.

Reactions: Knightlife_08
I say claim whatever you want. It's not like it really matters quite honestly. A national championship isnt the equivalent of winning the super bowl, and even at that, the winner of the super bowl isnt necessarily the best team in the NFL, its just the team who won the last game. The whole thing is kind of stupid really. If UCF and Alabama played 10 games against each other and Bama won the first 9 but lost the 10th, UCF is the champ in the end.

Just take undefeated for what it is: proof that you're better than any team you played on the day you played them. It's not like any given team would beat every other team in every single matchup every day of the week.

Just go 1-0 every time you play.

This. It doesn't matter since it isn't a real sport.

Why aren't we paying the players? If the NCAA doesn't sanction a playoff, what jurisdiction do they have over the sport?

We don’t need to wait another six years’: College football leaders ready to discuss eight-team Playoff

GettyImages-1069243266-1024x683.jpg

By Nicole Auerbach 1h ago
comment-icon@2x.png
The first four years of the College Football Playoff were considered a success. The four-team format has been more universally accepted than the old BCS system, and it has kept fans engaged throughout the country. But ahead of Year 5’s national semifinals featuring Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Oklahoma, there is a sense of growing discontent with certain aspects of the CFP system, including the selection committee’s deference to the SEC and what some consider unfair treatment of UCF.

EXCLUSIVE: Major college football power brokers like Bob Bowlsby, Barry Alvarez and Gordon Gee tell
@TheAthleticCFB
that it's time to start talking about an eight-team playoff. As soon as 2020? It's possible.

Last edited:
Depends on who wins overall, if Oklahoma wins out and we beat LSU then Colley would likely agree with our claim. If Clemson, ND, or Alabama win, then Colley will most likely not support our claim as there is a better undefeated team. So... here is to Oklahoma winning it all?

Depends on who wins overall, if Oklahoma wins out and we beat LSU then Colley would likely agree with our claim. If Clemson, ND, or Alabama win, then Colley will most likely not support our claim as there is a better undefeated team. So... here is to Oklahoma winning it all?

What makes Colleys opinion (or computer model), more valid than my opinion or yours? Everybody at this point has passed judgment that Alabama is the best team, but if Oklahoma beats them then somehow it opens up the discussion and takes it from objective to subjective. If UCF loses to LSU then somehow they are out of the discussion, but Oklahoma losing to Texas earlier in the year doesnt matter? If Oklahoma wins the playoff and Ohio state wins their bowl game, which 1 loss team is the best between them?

We could end up with Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio St, and UCF all with 1 loss. Why does a loss at the end count against you more than a loss earlier in the season?

We could end up with Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio St, and UCF all with 1 loss. Why does a loss at the end count against you more than a loss earlier in the season?

It wouldn't count more because it is at the end, it would count more because it would be a loss against the best team we faced, as opposed to OU in this scenario. Yes they lost to Texas, but also beat Texas and Alabama hypothetically. We wouldn't have the wins to compete against teams with the same number of losses. Our argument last year was we won all of our games, and no one else did. With equal losses, it would be pretty fair to say that we don't have the same wins the others have

It wouldn't count more because it is at the end, it would count more because it would be a loss against the best team we faced, as opposed to OU in this scenario. Yes they lost to Texas, but also beat Texas and Alabama hypothetically. We wouldn't have the wins to compete against teams with the same number of losses. Our argument last year was we won all of our games, and no one else did. With equal losses, it would be pretty fair to say that we don't have the same wins the others have

Then what would make UCFs claim more valid if Oklahoma wins the playoffs and UCF finishes undefeated? Does 1 loss count for more than wins over Alabama and Clemson/Notre Dame?

Then what would make UCFs claim more valid if Oklahoma wins the playoffs and UCF finishes undefeated? Does 1 loss count for more than wins over Alabama and Clemson/Notre Dame?
Same thing that made last years valid. Alabama had better wins (Clemson, UGA), but we had 0 losses and didn't get a shot. 0 losses and no shot at NC = claim our own.

What makes Colleys opinion (or computer model), more valid than my opinion or yours? Everybody at this point has passed judgment that Alabama is the best team, but if Oklahoma beats them then somehow it opens up the discussion and takes it from objective to subjective. If UCF loses to LSU then somehow they are out of the discussion, but Oklahoma losing to Texas earlier in the year doesnt matter? If Oklahoma wins the playoff and Ohio state wins their bowl game, which 1 loss team is the best between them?

Colley Matrix is officially recognized by the NCAA. You and I are aren't.

If you take a trip to NCAA office in Indy you'll find NCAA national champion trophies for every level of every sport including basketball and FCS football but there are no trophies there for FBS football. The NCAA does not select a National Champion or give out a trophy for the FBS national champion. Instead, the NCAA officially recognizes other entities as selectors. And theres several of them. Most years the selectors agree with each other. Some years they do not.

You can read all about this on wikipedia or whatever else.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
ADVERTISEMENT