ADVERTISEMENT

Are you OK with the USPS reorganization before the election?

Trigeek

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2001
August 7, 2020 (Friday)

America’s top news continues to touch on the upcoming election.

The Friday night news dump was about the United States Postal Service. Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, a Trump loyalist, has recently created new rules for the agency that have dramatically slowed the delivery of mail just as mail-in voting for 2020 has begun. Today, DeJoy overhauled the USPS, releasing a new organizational chart that displaces postal executives with decades of experience and concentrates power in DeJoy himself. Twenty-three executives have been reassigned or fired; five have been moved in from other roles. The seven regions of the nation will become four, and the USPS will have a hiring freeze. DeJoy says the new organization will create “clear lines of authority and accountability.”

There is reason to be suspicious of DeJoy’s motives. Not only have his new regulations slowed mail delivery, but also under him the USPS has told states that ballots will have to carry first-class 55-cent postage rather than the normal 20-cent bulk rate, almost tripling the cost of mailing ballots. This seems to speak to Trump’s wish to make mail-in ballots problematic for states. And DeJoy and his wife, Aldona Wos, whom Trump has nominated to become ambassador to Canada, own between $30.1 million and $75.3 million of assets in competitors to the USPS. This seems to speak to the report issued by the Trump administration shortly after the president took office, calling for the privatization of the USPS.

Yesterday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) called out the policies that slowed the delivery of essential mail, “including medicines for seniors, paychecks for workers, and absentee ballots for voters.” They called for DeJoy’s recent changes to be reversed.

But that was not the only news today that touches on the election. William Evanina, director of the National Counterintelligence and Security Center in the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, released a statement saying that the 2020 election is being threatened by foreign actors.

It was a carefully worded statement, obviously trying to say that China, Russia, and Iran were equally involved in affecting the upcoming election. But the assessment simply says that China prefers that Trump not win reelection and has said so, and that Iran will probably spread disinformation and anti-American content online.

Russia, in contrast, is actively at work to help Trump and hurt presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden. “For example,” Evanina writes, “pro-Russia Ukrainian parliamentarian Andriy Derkach is spreading claims about corruption – including through publicizing leaked phone calls – to undermine former Vice President Biden’s candidacy and the Democratic Party. Some Kremlin-linked actors are also seeking to boost President Trump’s candidacy on social media and Russian television.”

Derkach has repeatedly met with Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani, who has publicized information Derkach has provided. Derkach “doesn’t seem pro-Russian to me,” Giuliani said. In contrast, Michael Carpenter, a former senior Defense Department official now advising Biden on foreign policy, says Derkach’s trickle-release of tapes purporting to be damaging to Biden are “a KGB-style disinformation operation tied to pro-Russian forces in Ukraine whose chief aim is to make deceptive noise in the U.S. election campaign to advance the interests of their oligarchic backers, the Kremlin, and the faltering Trump campaign.”

Senator Ron Johnson (R-WI) chairman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, who is scrutinizing Joe Biden’s son Hunter and the Ukrainian company on whose board he sat, seems also to be entertaining the idea that Derkach’s tapes show Biden’s corruption. Johnson is working with Senate Finance Committee Chairman Charles Grassley (R-Iowa). Their actions prompted Pelosi and Schumer to ask the FBI to brief all members of Congress about the ongoing Russia disinformation campaign. What they got, apparently, was today’s announcement.

Meanwhile, news dropped today that while Trump has refused to bring up with Putin the reports that Russian operatives paid Taliban-linked fighters to kill American or allied troops, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo did so. Pompeo was allegedly “livid’ at the bounty story. It seems likely that Pompeo’s newfound independence has more to do with his political ambitions than with the principle of protecting our troops. Certainly, with the president calling the bounty story a “hoax,” it is unlikely the Russians will pay Pompeo’s anger any attention.

Staunch Trump supporter and evangelical leader Jerry Falwell, Jr. will be taking an “indefinite leave of absence” from the presidency of Liberty University after Falwell posted to Instagram a picture of himself with his pants unzipped and open, with his arm around a young woman similarly undressed. Liberty University is an evangelical college, and was founded by Falwell’s father.

This will not help the president. Evangelical support for Trump has been wavering such that Trump yesterday felt obliged to tell supporters in Ohio that Biden, a staunch Catholic who has been open about his faith, believes in “no religion, no anything, hurt the Bible, hurt God. He’s against God.”

Last night, a judge ruled that Trump can no longer stall a defamation lawsuit filed by E. Jean Carroll, an advice columnist who claims Trump raped her twenty years ago. Carroll sued Trump when he called her a liar. Her lawyers will now be able to depose Trump, and to try to get a DNA test from him to compare the results to material on the dress she was wearing when he allegedly attacked her. Today Carroll tweeted at the president: “IT’S ON!! See you in court.”

Talks between Democratic leadership and the White House over a new coronavirus relief bill fell apart today. With Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) first refusing to take up the bill the House passed in May and now boycotting the negotiations, the job of writing a new bill has fallen to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, and White House chief of staff Mark Meadows.

The Democrats have proposed a $3.4 trillion bill that extends federal unemployment benefits, provides $915 billion in direct aid to workers, shores up state and local governments, and provides $3.6 billion to enable officials to run the 2020 election. The White House wants a $1 trillion bill that provides significantly less money in direct aid, election protection, and so on. It also does not want to provide aid to schools unless they reopen in person immediately.

Republicans are accusing Democrats of being unwilling to compromise because the cratering economy will hurt Trump’s reelection prospects. Today, the Democrats offered to compromise with a bill that appropriates $2 trillion, but Meadows and Mnuchin rejected it out of hand. “The Speaker made a very fair offer — let’s narrow each — and you should’ve seen the vehemence,” Schumer said. “You should’ve seen their faces, ‘absolutely not.’ I said, ‘you mean you want it to go almost all in your direction or you won’t negotiate?’ and they said, ‘yeah.'”

Tonight, at a press conference at his golf resort in Bedminster, New Jersey, Trump said that with the talks falling apart, he will provide money for the programs he wants—including payroll tax cuts that will take money from Social Security-- through executive orders. “If Democrats continue to hold this critical relief hostage, I will act under my authority as president to get Americans the relief they need,” Trump said. But this action would create a crisis, since the Constitution gives to the House of Representatives sole authority to appropriate money.

The Founders gave the House of Representatives what is known as “the power of the purse” because they wanted to guarantee that the Chief Executive would never be able to dictate laws solely on his own authority.
Heather Cox Richardson

The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA), is arguably the most insane law ever passed by Congress. The law requires the Postal Service -- which receives no taxpayer subsidies -- to PRE-FUND its retirees' health benefits up to the year 2056. By the way, that requirement comes with a $5 Billion dollar a year pricetag. It's a requirement that no other entity, private or public, has to make.

If that doesn't meet the definition of insanity, I don't know what does. Guess what? Without this crazyass obligation, the Post Office actually turns an annual profit.

The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA), is arguably the most insane law ever passed by Congress. The law requires the Postal Service -- which receives no taxpayer subsidies -- to PRE-FUND its retirees' health benefits up to the year 2056. By the way, that requirement comes with a $5 Billion dollar a year pricetag. It's a requirement that no other entity, private or public, has to make.

If that doesn't meet the definition of insanity, I don't know what does. Guess what? Without this crazyass obligation, the Post Office actually turns an annual profit.
This is all true, but that obligation doesn't look so crazyass at this point.

Change everything up during a pandemic, right before an election. What could go wrong?

I think they've done a hell of a job making it work, and now they are secure for years to come.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. With politicians applauding the successes of private mail delivery companies while pointing out USPS's annual big dollar losses, what could possibly go wrong for them?*

tell you guys what. All of you who want mail in voting let's put your trust in the USPS with this. Send me a PM and I will give you my address. You will then write me a check for $250,$500 or say $1,000. I will cash said check and send every bit of it in cash first class US Mail right back to you. I am truly curious how many here would take that challenge. Sure , you don't know me from Adam and maybe you don't trust I would send the money back ,but I would . The question is would you get it? Do you trust the mail to do the $1,000 challenge?

For all you say Republicans can only win by voter suppression. ok, I will see your voter suppression and raise you that Democrats can only win by manipulating and gaming the vote. I will also say this. Until about the year 2000 both sides and people in the middle trusted the vote . more and more this nonsense is injecting doubt into our political process of voting. It's the new political move by both sides I would suggest. it's also harmful to the Republic.

I don't trust the USPS. Voting is an important civic duty. unless you are an US citizen serving over seas, working over seas and physically can not be here, I am old school , you vote on election day in person. if we can shop at Walmart during the pandemic we can vote in person.

tell you guys what. All of you who want mail in voting let's put your trust in the USPS with this. Send me a PM and I will give you my address. You will then write me a check for $250,$500 or say $1,000. I will cash said check and send every bit of it in cash first class US Mail right back to you. I am truly curious how many here would take that challenge. Sure , you don't know me from Adam and maybe you don't trust I would send the money back ,but I would . The question is would you get it? Do you trust the mail to do the $1,000 challenge?

For all you say Republicans can only win by voter suppression. ok, I will see your voter suppression and raise you that Democrats can only win by manipulating and gaming the vote. I will also say this. Until about the year 2000 both sides and people in the middle trusted the vote . more and more this nonsense is injecting doubt into our political process of voting. It's the new political move by both sides I would suggest. it's also harmful to the Republic.

I don't trust the USPS. Voting is an important civic duty. unless you are an US citizen serving over seas, working over seas and physically can not be here, I am old school , you vote on election day in person. if we can shop at Walmart during the pandemic we can vote in person.
I've had tons of problems with my mail for the last 8 or 9 years. Last month I had a contractor call me and ask if I had changes addresses because they sent me a bill 5 times and it kept coming back "undeliverable". I've had the same address for 13 years. I've had them forward mail to the addresses of my flip houses before even though i never registered them as mailing addresses. My brother gets my mail sometimes.
Actually got to the point last winter of mailing something to myself just to see if I would get it. I did, but it was 6 days later. The post office can't explain why its happening. I now hand deliver or email all of my invoices and hand deliver checks to my contractors and suppliers.

Reactions: sk8knight

There's LONG history in this country of legally manipulating the vote. Poll taxes, poll tests, voter intimidation tactics. And yes this cuts across the political spectrum. But I guarantee you that history will view this assault on mail in voting - if successful - in the same historical lineage as those other efforts.

Where was the outrage that Florida has allowed vote-by-mail for years pre-pandemic? I've been voting by mail for a while. Where was the concern in 2016? Almost 30% of Florida ballots in 2016 were done by mail.

Legitimate voter fraud risks cut equally both ways. Someone committed to gaming the system will identify weak points and attack. Neither party is strengthened or weakened by fraud opportunities. That's a non-political issue.

His goal is to discredit the system itself. To convince his supporters that they can't trust the results. You need to realize this is wanna-be-dictator level stuff. If the system is too robust for an actual sham election (see Belarus), then you try to convince everyone it's a sham election.

This post office crap is an attempt to create a self-fulfilling prophecy. Reduce capacity and disorganize the USPS so he can say "see - I told you so" when ballots are piled up in distribution centers.

This is going to be a wild ride.

How do we reconcile that we already have mail in voting in nearly every state and its just become untrustworthy now?

The president has voted by mail forever, he trusts it enough for himself. Now all the sudden it cant be trusted?

Na, this is pretty clear voter supression.

How do we reconcile that we already have mail in voting in nearly every state and its just become untrustworthy now?

The president has voted by mail forever, he trusts it enough for himself. Now all the sudden it cant be trusted?

Na, this is pretty clear voter supression.

It is obvious what he is doing. This is a direct attack on Democracy.

This is going to be a wild ride.
Yep. At this point, it's crystal clear how Trump is going to respond to the election results. The more critical component is how Trump's supporters will respond.

One of the most admirable aspects of our democracy has been the peaceful transfer of power. Hopefully, this won't be yet another American tradition that Trump and his people trash.

I have never liked it. I don't trust moving a system to entirely mail in voting. Did you guys know for instance that metered mail is not post marked? So, when you send out ballots with a metered mail return address envelope for instance,it goes in the mail and off it goes. Since there is no post mark there is no date. Then 4 or 5 or 8 days after the election date you get all those non post marked ballots. You don't know if they filled out before the election day which is the deadline .

So, one side or the other sues to get them counted. To me it ripe for fraud . it's ripe for ballot stuffing . it's ripe to game the system. Now maybe you could require stamps on all return postage of ballots. Then they are post marked.

Trump may be sowing suspicion but you are naive to think the other side doesn't try to manipulate the system. in New Jersey a few weeks ago the Democrats stuffed ballots in a local election and got caught. Then you have the mystery of the dead voting. My mom passed away in Orange City in 2015. I am getting mail in North Carolina for her for insurance stuff for retired people and last week I got a doctor's appointment solistation for an scan to detect stuff in your arteries. Now I admit my leap and speculation here might be broad to infer somehow my mom might get a ballot . Is it out of the question. ? nope. is it beyond the scope of reality? nope. if it were to happen because I am ethical there is no way I am voting under my mother . however, for discussion sake if it were to happen I would take pictures and post them here as proof this stuff goes on.

Here is one for you. my 22 year old son had meningitis as an infant. it destroyed his occupital lobe. This is the largest part of our brains and processes vision and higher thinking. My boy is severely disabled and blind. Four years ago we went through family court, which is difficult , to get my son declared incompetent and to ask the court for us as his parents to be his legal guardian. Guess what, under North Carolina law my son is eligible to vote . He can't speak more than a two word sentence . I find peculiar a person declared incompetent can still vote.

Our Republic is built on trust. if the process is distrusted by half the nation, it would seem that we all agree not to do it all. There is too much distrust to go all in this mail thing. all of us need to trust the vote. Do we want our system so screwed up with law suits demanding recounts, demanding ballots counted or thrown out days, weeks and months after the election? I don't want that. I want the winner to win graciously and the loser to lose with dignity knowing both sides of it were trusted votes cast .

Last edited:
Reactions: ucfMike
Our Republic is built on trust. if the process is distrusted by half the nation, it would seem that we all agree not to do it all. There is too much distrust to go all in this mail thing.
LOL--Yeah I agree, "this mail thing" is pretty damn 'iffy.' :)

Maybe we should wait another 240 years before trusting this johnny-come-lately to deliver our mail. 🙄

LOL--Yeah I agree, "this mail thing" is pretty damn 'iffy.' :)

Maybe we should wait another 240 years before trusting this johnny-come-lately to deliver our mail. 🙄

I actually don't trust the mail. I live in the country. my mailbox is about 1/2 mile from my house. Two years ago a lady went through 2 counties steeling mail around May looking for tax return checks. My wife's vitamins were shipped , said to be delivered at 7 PM by the USPS tracking number this past Wednesday..Nope, no vitamins . That's $45 well spent.
The vote by mail issues already faced in the northeast in a Democrat Primary happened because they used metered mail. After the challenger won , the magically discovered more ballots , again paid for by metered mail after the election was technically over. They had over 3,000 ballots pop up. The court said they needed to count 1,000 of them. it's not the USPS fault here . it's the Democrat party who used metered mail. That's a BIG problem. How do we know all those ballots were not mailed until after the election was over? you don't . that's technically fraud and it's the core issue.

if the process is distrusted by half the nation, it would seem that we all agree not to do it all.

Are you kidding me? If the left said the sky is blue the right would argue tooth and nail that it's red. The same goes for the reverse.

We're way beyond consensus on fuking anything at this point.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Why would I not be ok with the first postmaster general in 2+ decades to have zero post office experience, with massive conflicts of interest and being a mega donor to Trump's campaign?

Why would I not be ok with the first postmaster general in 2+ decades to have zero post office experience, with massive conflicts of interest and being a mega donor to Trump's campaign?
Trashing thousands of perfectly good mail sorting machines was a....cost-cutting measure???!

Trashing thousands of perfectly good mail sorting machines was a....cost-cutting measure???!
If they were perfectly good, why were they scheduled to be decommissioned months ago by the previous postmaster General?

If they were perfectly good, why were they scheduled to be decommissioned months ago by the previous postmaster General?
That‘s what postal workers who used them on a daily basis said so it makes you wonder what’s going on, huh?

That‘s what postal workers who used them on a daily basis said so it makes you wonder what’s going on, huh?
Not really. The last general scheduled to take them out and I'm sure it had nothing to do with the election.

Says the person who supported wasting $20-30 million trying to prove that Russia rigged the last election.
I’m shocked, yes shocked I tell you, that sk8 didn’t read the Republican-led Senate Intelligence Committee’s final report last week.

If Trump’s still in office, it never happened, right?

Reactions: NinjaKnight
I’m shocked, yes shocked I tell you, that sk8 didn’t read the Republican-led Senate Intelligence Committee’s final report last week.

If Trump’s still in office, it never happened, right?
Its 1000 pages long. No normal person read it, just reviews on what it said.

Not really. The last general scheduled to take them out and I'm sure it had nothing to do with the election.
If you are going to remove high-volume sorting machines, wouldn’t you wait until they’re replaced by new machines that do it even faster?

If you are going to remove high-volume sorting machines, wouldn’t you wait until they’re replaced by new machines that do it even faster?
They were removing the machines in places that volume had dropped and were either replacing them with smaller machines or hand-sorting where possible. The decision was a cost cutting measure because they were losing a ton of money due to decreasing volume. It really isn't as nefarious as its been made out to be and the move was scheduled by a postmaster General that Obama appointed.

They were removing the machines in places that volume had dropped and were either replacing them with smaller machines or hand-sorting where possible. The decision was a cost cutting measure because they were losing a ton of money due to decreasing volume.
Someone will have to explain to me how removing a high volume sorting machine to move to hand-sorting the mail saves money let alone improves service.

Someone will have to explain to me how removing a high volume sorting machine to move to hand-sorting the mail saves money let alone improves service.
If volume isn't high enough to justify the expense of maintaining and operating the machine, which is apparently out of date, its not hard to understand.

I'd get the theory about this being about the election if the plan hadn't already been in place months ago by an Obama appointee and the USPS wasn't hemorrhaging money in the 2nd quarter of this year, but obviously there is a non-political answer that makes more sense.

I am against mail in voting period. No matter what is happening in the post office.
Leave voting as it is, and go ahead an reorganize the Post office.

Have you been hiding under a rock? A bunch of Trump's campaign staff had significant ties and communications with the Russians in order to rig the 2016 election. The RUBIO report confirmed that last week.

Yet the FBI even came out and said that the Russians didn’t sway the election. And yes, it was a waste of tens of millions of dollars to try to overturn the 2016 election.

While the Democrats are creating fake outrage about a USPS Non-issue, they are also refusing to consider bills put before the house to fund vaccines and Covid mitigation’s, the PPP, and increased training for police departments. Because it’s far more important to try to seize the narrative about the vote in order to build power than to do anything that actually helps Americans.

Reactions: Crazyhole
ADVERTISEMENT