ADVERTISEMENT

Aresco blocking CFP format change

Poolside Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Apr 2, 2007
which means short term that TWO G5 may get into the Playoff at least till 2026 . Most years two would be too many

for selfish UCF reasons I want 4 auto bids w Big12 included

Marc Daniels was talking about this yesterday on his show. Aresco is playing with fire because in 2026 the unanimity required currently disappears and the P4 conferences can completely leave the G5 out of the new playoff system stone cold.

The 6th auto bid is only for the PAC 2, not for a 2nd G5 league unless the MWC merges with the PAC 2…..which IMO won’t happen in the next 2 years because of the waiver, there are too many PAC12 assets that the PAC 2 won’t want to share.

So Arresco is just being stupid yet again and playing with fire.

Marc Daniels was talking about this yesterday on his show. Aresco is playing with fire because in 2026 the unanimity required currently disappears and the P4 conferences can completely leave the G5 out of the new playoff system stone cold.
It's in best interest that the playoffs include as many conferences as possible, if they start reducing, expect it to end eventually with B10/SEC only.

It's in best interest that the playoffs include as many conferences as possible, if they start reducing, expect it to end eventually with B10/SEC only.
Disagree from the standpoint that there is seldom more than 1 G5 school per year that has even a punchers chance of taking down a top team……now if they wanted to have a “play in” game for the two best G5 schools, that would be OK by me. Other than that, the 2nd G5 school better be in the top 12.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Maybe I'm just naive but more access seems like it will create more parity as G5 teams aren't locked out of the playoffs anymore and can recruit better. Maybe that's some of the impetus for the b10/sec expansion: an insurance policy against the G5 chipping away at their prominence due to playoff expansion.

Playoff format is pretty important
True that, but we are P what ever baby ! No, seriously , I understand your point but selfishly we are now some what insulated from some of this.

If it were up to me I would do 16 teams with every conference getting an auto bid which is now down to 9 and it would leave 7 at large. I don't care for oligarchy cartel we are in and think if you are D1 you should have a shot to at least play for a true national championship across all D1 schools.

True that, but we are P what ever baby ! No, seriously , I understand your point but selfishly we are now some what insulated from some of this.

If it were up to me I would do 16 teams with every conference getting an auto bid which is now down to 9 and it would leave 7 at large. I don't care for oligarchy cartel we are in and think if you are D1 you should have a shot to at least play for a true national championship across all D1 schools.
It seems like Auto Bids aren’t happening but I am rooting for it. The perception difference is already there but an auto bid is something else to use in recruiting

Reactions: Nautiknight
It seems like Auto Bids aren’t happening but I am rooting for it. The perception difference is already there but an auto bid is something else to use in recruiting
I just don't understand having a legitimate tournament is somehow bad for the sport? The football oligarchs just seem insistent on having a select club with the same old same old schools .

Live by the agreement that was entered. Why should G5 schools have to suffer because P5 bluebloods choose to cannibalize themselves? Lower level teams make the NCAA basketball tourney annually and it's a great tournament even though no one expects them to win.

Let's stop pretending that this is about competition. It's about greed.

Reactions: OtterKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT