ADVERTISEMENT

At least we have the first 3 games to correct things and to see what we're made of before

QB - I feel like unknown at this point, should be wide open
New Play Caller - I know people were underwhelmed with the hire but the guy bleeds black and gold and foresee him doing well
O-Line - we brought in a bunch of transfers, still unknown at this point
Defense - even thought we brought in a bunch of defensive talent, it may not translate next year. With the exodus of transfers we may suffer a bit here.
Portal - I think we did well, for everybody we lost, I think we broke even or did even slightly better talent gain/loss wise.
NIL - no comment as I don't know enough how we compare to others.

QB - I feel like unknown at this point, should be wide open
New Play Caller - I know people were underwhelmed with the hire but the guy bleeds black and gold and foresee him doing well
O-Line - we brought in a bunch of transfers, still unknown at this point
Defense - even thought we brought in a bunch of defensive talent, it may not translate next year. With the exodus of transfers we may suffer a bit here.
Portal - I think we did well, for everybody we lost, I think we broke even or did even slightly better talent gain/loss wise.
NIL - no comment as I don't know enough how we compare to others.
Very positive. Enough to compete in big 12? All comes down to the qb. IMHO

the BIG 12 Conference Games Begin! :)
Thoughts?

QB?
Need the cow to take the bull by the horns this spring or need another transfer altogether.
New Play Caller?
It's Gus's offense. It'll be the the same plays on the same play sheet with a few odd and end wrinkles..
Lost three starters, but experienced guys return. Will be interesting to see how the 2022 and 2023 transfer offensive linemen develop and gel.

This position--more than any other--has seen the most influx of talent from a sheer numbers standpoint.

HS signees: Caden Kitler, Miguel Maldonado, Johnathan Cline
HS walk-ons: Matthew Prigmore, Andrew Phelan, Shaheem Hill
Transfers: Josh Harris (walk-on), Cameron Kinnie, Tylan Gable, Drake Metcalf, Bula Schmidt, Amari Kight, Marcellus Marshall

Props to Herb Hand for filling up and reshaping the OL room.

Meanwhile, Ed Collins, Adrian Medley, and Lokahi Pauole all return having earned starts in years past.

DL improved at defensive tackle and edge after bolstering the defensive end position last year.

Solid group.

UCF lost JJB at linebacker and failed to replace his presence. No idea how Brandon Jennings, TJ Bullard, Quade Mosier, Walter Yates III, Kam Moore, or Derek Burns will develop this offseason. Uncertain whether Andrew Harris will be ready to step in as a starter opposite Jason Johnson.

Need at least one, perhaps two, impact transfers.

Cornerback took a hit with the losses of Davonte Brown and Brian George and nichol Justin Hodges. Fred Davis, Corey Thornton, and Brandon Adams will vye for starting positions on the edges. It will be interesting to see how much noise JaCari Henderson and Braeden Marshall make. Martinez will likely have to stay at nichol for another year.

Safety grew in quality. We'll see. Jirah Wilson will play strong safety. DeJordan Mask will probably play nichol. Fans will probably forget about Divaad Wilson and Justin Hodges after watching these two in the secondary. Wilson is a freight train, and Mask brings ELITE cover skills and footwork to nichol/safety.

UCF got most of what it needed out of the portal. The Knights must find an ELITE wide receiver and an ELITE linebacker to compete week out in the Big12.
NIL $$$$$$$$$$
Gus wouldn't be talking about NIL money on National Signing Day if there weren't serious concerns.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT