ADVERTISEMENT

Avoiding Taxes is 'being a smart businessman' ... until it isn't

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
New York charges Weisselberg, the Trump Organization's CFO with an 'off the books' tax fraud scheme that defrauded the city, state and federal government of taxes over a 15 year period

From the linked Fox News article:
"Allen Weisselberg is a loving and devoted husband, father and grandfather who has worked at the Trump Organization for 48 years. He is now being used by the Manhattan district attorney as a pawn in a scorched earth attempt to harm the former President," a Trump Organization spokesperson told Fox News. "The district attorney is bringing a criminal prosecution involving employee benefits that neither the IRS nor any other District Attorney would ever think of bringing."

I found the 'Trump Organization spokesperson's response interesting. It reminds me of a driver who's gotten pulled over for speeding whining to the traffic cop that 'EVERYBODY is speeding so why pick me out?' :)

anyways, has anyone seen the new Fast & Furious? not exactly cinematic masterpieces, but they're usually a fun time. heard this one was especially bad and was curious if anyone could weigh in

The organization probably will get a small fine for inaccurate reporting. They probably reported it as non-employee compensation, but they wouldn't have had any tax liability on it anyway. There would be no benefit for them to not expense that out.

anyways, has anyone seen the new Fast & Furious? not exactly cinematic masterpieces, but they're usually a fun time. heard this one was especially bad and was curious if anyone could weigh in
Believe it or not, this clown was pining for an ‘adult’ conversation here earlier today, :)
The organization probably will get a small fine for inaccurate reporting.
…except the reports are that they had two sets of books which makes the “oops, it was an accident” argument a bit hard to swallow….especially when it went on for at least 15 years.

Believe it or not, this clown was pining for an ‘adult’ conversation here earlier today, :)

…except the reports are that they had two sets of books which makes the “oops, it was an accident” argument a bit hard to swallow….especially when it went on for at least 15 years.
I just read the indictment. It looks like points 15, 16, and 17 and the ones the corporation will have to deal with. What they did technically isn't illegal unless it was a coordinated scheme to defraud the tax man. They've got a pretty good out on that though because they were sending 1099s to the employees that were getting those benefits. The rent and vehicle stuff will come down to how they expensed that stuff out.

Weisselberg is screwed, no doubt. The corporation, probably not.
Last year, the NYT had a story that turned out to be dead-on accurate about the details of Allen Weisselberg's tax evasion scam. The Times article said this illegal practice wasn't limited to Weisselberg but was wide-spread throughout the Corporation.

BTW, the Times article said the practice included Ivanka Trump's compensation.

Last year, the NYT had a story that turned out to be dead-on accurate about the details of Allen Weisselberg's tax evasion scam. The Times article said this illegal practice wasn't limited to Weisselberg but was wide-spread throughout the Corporation.

BTW, the Times article said the practice included Ivanka Trump's compensation.
I went back and re-read the indictment. Count 2, point 10 pretty much exonerates Trump himself. Not sure why they actually included that to be honest. It says that weisselberg hid information from DJT.

The rich and powerful always find a way out, I guess.

New York charges Weisselberg, the Trump Organization's CFO with an 'off the books' tax fraud scheme that defrauded the city, state and federal government of taxes over a 15 year period

From the linked Fox News article:
"Allen Weisselberg is a loving and devoted husband, father and grandfather who has worked at the Trump Organization for 48 years. He is now being used by the Manhattan district attorney as a pawn in a scorched earth attempt to harm the former President," a Trump Organization spokesperson told Fox News. "The district attorney is bringing a criminal prosecution involving employee benefits that neither the IRS nor any other District Attorney would ever think of bringing."

I found the 'Trump Organization spokesperson's response interesting. It reminds me of a driver who's gotten pulled over for speeding whining to the traffic cop that 'EVERYBODY is speeding so why pick me out?' :)

it's all ok....until you are audited

One of the charges against the Trump Organization's CFO is that he kept two sets of books. If found guilty on this particular count, it means the organization is in a world of hurt because it's a major violation of any loan contract.

One would suspect the organization is highly leveraged so a conviction could well mean all the banks and other lending agencies are forced to call in their loans. If the Trump Org. can't pay up, it could spell the end.

One of the charges against the Trump Organization's CFO is that he kept two sets of books. If found guilty on this particular count, it means the organization is in a world of hurt because it's a major violation of any loan contract.

One would suspect the organization is highly leveraged so a conviction could well mean all the banks and other lending agencies are forced to call in their loans. If the Trump Org. can't pay up, it could spell the end.
Where can I find that in the indictment?

Reactions: _glaciers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT