ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball continues to lose close games to inferior programs......

Oldest Man

Silver Knight
Oct 19, 2001
first of all, Detroit, at their place, was a good opponent....but

this is our 3rd year in the AAC and it's clear that, because of it, we're recruiting very good talent....in fact, we probably have more talent than we've ever had in our basketball program...

so there are 3 obvious questions after watching another loss in a close game (this time to an Horizon League opponent)...

with all our talent, why can't beat inferior programs?

without playing any top 25 programs out of conference, why are we only 30-40 over the past 2 1/2 years?

and when we are in a dog fight, why do we keep losing the close ones?

help me understand this before I throw up my hands and start calling for the same housecleaning in basketball that we just experienced in football....because it's time the basketball program wins the games it should, starting with their OOC schedule.....

first of all, Detroit, at their place, was a good opponent....but

this is our 3rd year in the AAC and it's clear that, because of it, we're recruiting very good talent....in fact, we probably have more talent than we've ever had in our basketball program...

so there are 3 obvious questions after watching another loss in a close game (this time to an Horizon League opponent)...

without playing any top 25 programs out of conference, why are we only 30-40 over the past 2 1/2 years?

and when we are in a dog fight, why do we keep losing the close ones?

help me understand this before I throw up my hands and start calling for the same housecleaning in basketball that we just experienced in football....because it's time the basketball program wins the games it should, starting with their OOC schedule.....
I didn't see the game but i see that Tacko and McBride combined for 9/9 from the field. Seems like those guys should have had more looks.

As you have already pointed out, Detroit is not a bad team this year and has not lost a game at home yet.
Miami (Ohio) is also a perfect 6-0 at home this year and our game against them was in Ohio.

At this point I don't know that you can call Davidson or UC Irvine inferior programs. Hopefully in a few years we can say that, but not now.

Davidson (an NCAA Tournament team last year) is 7-1 with their only loss to North Carolina.
UC Irvine (an NCAA Tournament team last year) has been a 20+ win team the past three seasons and is 8-4 this year.

You already know the answer to that...scholarship restrictions during previous seasons is one reason. This year we have two true point guards. One is injured and has not played a single game yet. The other is a true freshman. PG is the most critical position on the team from an offensive standpoint.

I know watching Donnie Ball can be frustrating, but it is not time to throw in the towel...yet.

What gives you the right to call them INFERIOR? They are a middle of the road program just like us.

Im just wondering.

so 2 things Stetson...

1. what do you mean what gives me the right? Answers are the First Amendment and now my new interest in getting under your thin skin......

and

2. thank you for answering one of my OP questions....if after 5 years of Donnie Jones we're still a middle of the road program, losing to middle of the road opponents, then he's obviously a big part of the problem.....

maybe we're not getting outplayed by middle of the road programs, we're getting outcoached?

Last edited:
Detroit is a really good team. Like top 50 rpi team now. We just need to get experience and get BJ healthy and we should make noise next season. At least the team is competitive in every game so that is progress vs last year.

As you have already pointed out, Detroit is not a bad team this year and has not lost a game at home yet.
Miami (Ohio) is also a perfect 6-0 at home this year and our game against them was in Ohio.

At this point I don't know that you can call Davidson or UC Irvine inferior programs. Hopefully in a few years we can say that, but not now.

Davidson (an NCAA Tournament team last year) is 7-1 with their only loss to North Carolina.
UC Irvine (an NCAA Tournament team last year) has been a 20+ win team the past three seasons and is 8-4 this year.

You already know the answer to that...scholarship restrictions during previous seasons is one reason. This year we have two true point guards. One is injured and has not played a single game yet. The other is a true freshman. PG is the most critical position on the team from an offensive standpoint.

I know watching Donnie Ball can be frustrating, but it is not time to throw in the towel...yet.

Actually, Chance McSpadden is a 2 guard (played 2 and 3 in HS)...but has been forced to play at the PG spot because BJ still hasn't played a min this season (he is cleared to play but just hasn't).

Chance, a natural scorer with size...struggles against tight pressure in backcourt, hence he didn't get many mins of PT yesterday...but hopefully, with more games under his belt, his ball handling skills will only improve.

Looking forward to the lighting quick signee PG Jeremy Sheppard can do for UCF next year...especially if BJ has continued foot problems...with Chance at the 2 spot.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Had a feeling we would lose AWAY. Donnie does not prepare these guys to be tough on the road. A good team...a good coach wins these games. Maybe it's not going to be the year we think for UCF men's basketball.

We still struggle with a higher number of turnovers than we should have. I think that has been the biggest key in many of our losses.

As for winning away games...there is a reason the RPI is significantly higher for road wins than home wins.

Lol its obvious football brought us to the American. Still Our OOC schedule is deceptively pretty tough. Detroit had a #42 RPI ranking. UC Irvine and Davidson appeared in the NCAA tournament the last couple of years. Sure a P5 program isnt part of it but in college basketball its only important for TV deals. Our association with the American in basketball should not automatically equate to being a better team than the teams we lost to. Nothing wrong with wanting to fire Donnie though, maybe another year.

This team lacks massively in mental toughness and intelligence. It will come with experience. The future is bright..

Nebraska was getting destroyed by an inferior Samford program tonight but is now making a run.

edit - Nebraska lost. Both Nebraska and Rutgers of the Big Ten lost to "inferior" programs Samford and Monmouth today.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT