ADVERTISEMENT

Best *potential* Cotton Bowl matchup for UCF

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
First off ... UCF is favored to lose to Tulane and the Green Wave have all the momentum.

But... Should UCF pull off the upset, I think Kansas State would be the most desirable matchup for the Knights.

I think UCF matches up poorly with Penn State. I hope the Rose Bowl takes the Nittany Lions and sends 'an' Ohio State University to the Orange Bowl again klempson. bammer would draw hypel in a toilet bowl rematch and free up Kansas State to play UCF in the Cotton.

Rose: Penn State/Washington
Orange: 'an' Ohio State University/klempson
Sugar: bammer/Hypel
Cotton: UCF/Kansas State

UCF can compete against KState. Penn State, I fear, will beat the brakes off the Knights.

It will be like watching the 1995 Outback Bowl all over again:

Last edited:
Let's get past Tulane before talking about Cotton Bowl. Had high hopes of GameDay for Cincy game and shit the bed against ECU. Lost opportunity for AAC Championship at home after another loss to Navy. Plus didn't look very good in second half against USF. Talking about Cotton Bowl is just bad omen.
No argument there. Tulane has all the momentum with Fritz announcing his return.

However... If we don't talk about it now, we might not talk about it later.

I would rather talk about the Cotton Bowl than the Independence, Cure, Military, or Birmingham bowls.

I don't know about everybody else, but something about a fan of another team coming to our board and saying he thinks another team will "beat the brakes off of us" doesn't sit well with me. Dude has been making slick comments like this all season.

Reactions: U C to the F
I don't know about everybody else, but something about a fan of another team coming to our board and saying he thinks another team will "beat the brakes off of us" doesn't sit well with me. Dude has been making slick comments like this all season.
I think his deal is to lower expectations and say whatever makes Gus look the best and point blame elsewhere

Just cause Penn State beat Auburn waaay back then doesn't mean they'd beat us today. Besides, UCF should be 2-0 against Penn State the past 10 years instead of 1-1. We should be 3-0 against Penn State and your Tigers within that time frame so stop talking down on us like we're inferior.

The ACC has a tie-in with the Orange Bowl. ACC Champion will play in the Orange Bowl. Also, there is zero chance the Rose Bowl picks Penn State over Ohio State.

Let me help you out there buddy....

Penn State has the nation's No. 14-ranked run defense--the BEST of any wouldbe UCF bowl game opponent.

Penn State's defense has faced better line play in the Big10 WEEK IN and WEEK OUT than what UCF can counter with playing FCS and ACC transfers at the tackle positions.

Penn State ALSO has the nation's No. 19th ranked scoring offense, which averages more ppg than any opponent, save SMU, that UCF had faced this year. Not to mention UCF hasn't shown the propensity to stop a nose bleed on defense the last four games.

All I am saying is that Penn State is a disastrous matchup on paper.

It would be far more advantageous for UCF to face Kansas State, which averages fewer points per game than the Knights and has a porous 57th ranked rush defense that UCF could exploit.

• Dislike

Penn State has the nation's No. 14-ranked run defense--the BEST of any wouldbe UCF bowl game opponent.

Penn State's defense has faced better line play in the Big10 WEEK IN and WEEK OUT than what UCF can counter with playing FCS and ACC transfers at the tackle positions.

Penn State ALSO has the nation's No. 19th ranked scoring offense, which averages more ppg than any opponent, save SMU, that UCF had faced this year. Not to mention UCF hasn't shown the propensity to stop a nose bleed on defense the last four games.

It would be far more advantageous for UCF to face Kansas State, which averages fewer points per game than the Knights and has a porous 57th ranked rush defense that UCF could exploit.

Still not scared of Penn St.

These predictions are stupid. Ohio State won’t play in the Orange. They will be in the CFP if USC loses and the Rose if USC wins. The Sugar will not feature 2 SEC teams. Alabama will get the sugar based on the contract to take the highest ranked SEC team if the champ is in the playoff. Tennessee will be in the Orange bowl.

The Cotton bowl will be Penn state (if USC wins) or Washington.

These predictions are stupid. Ohio State won’t play in the Orange. They will be in the CFP if USC loses and the Rose if USC wins. The Sugar will not feature 2 SEC teams. Alabama will get the sugar based on the contract to take the highest ranked SEC team if the champ is in the playoff. Tennessee will be in the Orange bowl.

Not predictions. Mostly just hope against hope. Washington ain't a good matchup either. I like it better than Penn State though.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Samsies. I think we are actually a matchup nightmare for Penn St personally. Just like Alabama this year (with our defense) might be a bad matchup for us. I actually watch our games, I think this Auburn guy admitted not that long ago that he doesn’t even watch all our games.

Washington is nothing to be scared of also. I mean come on…

Reactions: Willie Knightime
Samsies. I think we are actually a matchup nightmare for Penn St personally. Just like Alabama this year (with our defense) might be a bad matchup for us. I actually watch our games, I think this Auburn guy admitted not that long ago that he doesn’t even watch all our games.

Washington is nothing to be scared of also. I mean come on…
I did not watch last year's games that weren't televised. I have watched nearly every play of every game this season. I missed the Navy game, but have it DVR'd.

I have not watched Penn State or Washington, but the numbers don't lie. UCF does not match up as well against those teams.

Gus has only one win over a Big10 team in his head coaching career and it came against Perdue. Gus has OWNED the PAC-10 in those meetings, however.

If we do make it to the cotton bowl (football gawds willing) then I hope its Bama or Tenn. We would be heavily not favored, but so what. Been there done that. I'd also welcome their players sitting out and giving UCF an advantage. I plan on travelling to the bowl game so hoping it's a big match up.

BEAT TULANE GREEN WAVE !

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
If we do make it to the cotton bowl (football gawds willing) then I hope its Bama or Tenn. We would be heavily not favored, but so what. Been there done that. I'd also welcome their players sitting out and giving UCF an advantage. I plan on travelling to the bowl game so hoping it's a big match up.

BEAT TULANE GREEN WAVE !
There is almost 0 chance those teams would end up in the cotton bowl.

If USC wins, #5 Ohio State would go to the Rose bowl based on that bowls contract to face Washington or Utah (the highest ranked P12 team not in the playoff) and #6 Alabama would go to the Sugar bowl based on that bowls contract. #7 Tennessee as the highest ranked at large would go to the Orange bowl to face the non-playoff ACC champion. Penn State would then be in the Cotton bowl.

If USC loses, Ohio State will move into the playoff and Penn State as the highest ranked non playoff Big 10 team would go to the Rose bowl to face USC who would be highest ranked P12 team. Sugar and Orange would stay the same but Cotton would then be down to Utah or Washington.

I personally REALLY like it when this team is an underdog. We have not done well this season as favorites, and this team needs the disrespect and counting-off of all the talking heads. Not that it's not deserved but still, it should be motivation for them.

I personally REALLY like it when this team is an underdog. We have not done well this season as favorites, and this team needs the disrespect and counting-off of all the talking heads. Not that it's not deserved but still, it should be motivation for them.
We have only been an underdog in one game and that was at Tulane. And it was more of a pick ‘em (spread was +1).

There is almost 0 chance those teams would end up in the cotton bowl.

If USC wins, #5 Ohio State would go to the Rose bowl based on that bowls contract to face Washington or Utah (the highest ranked P12 team not in the playoff) and #6 Alabama would go to the Sugar bowl based on that bowls contract. #7 Tennessee as the highest ranked at large would go to the Orange bowl to face the non-playoff ACC champion. Penn State would then be in the Cotton bowl.

If USC loses, Ohio State will move into the playoff and Penn State as the highest ranked non playoff Big 10 team would go to the Rose bowl to face USC who would be highest ranked P12 team. Sugar and Orange would stay the same but Cotton would then be down to Utah or Washington.
If USC loses, Utah would go to the Rose Bowl to play Penn State. Cotton would come down to USC or Washington. One would go to the Sugar and one would go to Cotton.

Only thing that throws a wrench into this is if one (or more) of the undefeated teams loses this weekend. Because then you would have to place LSU, Kansas State or Purdue in NY6 Bowls. None of which make it to a NY6 bowl if they lose.

If USC loses, Utah would go to the Rose Bowl to play Penn State. Cotton would come down to USC or Washington. One would go to the Sugar and one would go to Cotton.

Only thing that throws a wrench into this is if one (or more) of the undefeated teams loses this weekend. Because then you would have to place LSU, Kansas State or Purdue in NY6 Bowls. None of which make it to a NY6 bowl if they lose.
Also, I believe if Kansas State were to win, they would be slotted into the Sugar Bowl because of Bowl Affiliation. Which steps on the whole premise of this thread.

We have only been an underdog in one game and that was at Tulane. And it was more of a pick ‘em (spread was +1).
Historically UCF wins big games as underdogs and when people write them off. Louisville, Baylor, Auburn, and yes even Tulane this season. It is good motivation. We've done bad this season as favorites, losing big to ECU and Navy in particular, and even the Louisville loss was bad loss as favorites as well. I welcome the road dog mentality and EVERYONE writing UCF out.

bammer would draw hypel in a toilet bowl rematch and free up Kansas State to play UCF in the Cotton.

Rose: Penn State/Washington
Orange: 'an' Ohio State University/klempson
Sugar: bammer/Hypel
Cotton: UCF/Kansas State
While I would like to see Heupel play Alabama again, I doubt there would be an SEC vs SEC New Year's Day Game.

Who cares. We don't fear opponents around here. Worry about Auburn. If you're gonna hang around here and act like you cheer for UCF, definitely don't talk like we're inferior and compare us to whatever Auburn team got stomped out by whatever opponent.

Btw, Auburn was lucky as hell when they beat lil ole inferior UCF 10-6 waaay back in 1998. Since you took it back to the 90s.

We're going to win on Saturday but if we don't I think I'd enjoy a shot at Miami in a bowl game. So much trash to talk it would be really exciting.

I want the most deserving opponent.

#UCFacts
I just want UCF to win the AAC title AND the NY6 bowl!

I don't want to see UCF limp into the Big10.

Also, for the record, I consider UCF a major underdog in the title game. Outside of Southern and Toledo, the Knights have worst three losses of any team playing for a title on Championship Saturday.

Hopefully, Gus can recreate the magic he did three weeks ago.

I just want UCF to win the AAC title AND the NY6 bowl!

I don't want to see UCF limp into the Big10.

Also, for the record, I consider UCF a major underdog in the title game. Outside of Southern and Toledo, the Knights have worst three losses of any team playing for a title on Championship Saturday.

Hopefully, Gus can recreate the magic he did three weeks ago.
For the record, UCF should have beat Tulane by more than we did a few weeks ago. So you considering us "major underdogs" sounds like some undercover hating to me. "Major" underdogs to Tulane huh? Gtfoh. Who's Auburn playing on championship Saturday?

Oh Yeah GIF

The Athletic: Updated college football bowl projections: Penn State to Rose, Ohio State to Orange.

FINALLY!!!!

GKCO!!!!!!

Malzahn vs. HYPE(L) -- decide it on the field baby!

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!

Last edited:

Doubt the rose takes Ohio State two years in row, should they not make the CFP.

Doubt the rose takes Ohio State two years in row, should they not make the CFP.
Yeah, I saw that Atlantic piece too. However the Rose bowl has always taken the highest ranked team available in these situations so if they take Penn State it will be breaking with historical precedent. Based on the rules they could take a lower ranked team if the team is in a similar ranking position. However Penn State is ranked behind 2 other teams also in position for NY6 bowls so breaking from precedent would have an effect on other bowl selections. Which is why I think it is doubtful it happens. But possible.

ADVERTISEMENT