ADVERTISEMENT

Biden: I want to be a dictator

There's a Federal Law requiring pants in public?

Good point, the states must be the dictatorships in this scenario. I guess if Biden requires people wear masks Crazyhole can ask the Hague to get involved or something.

Good point, the states must be the dictatorships in this scenario. I guess if Biden requires people wear masks Crazyhole can ask the Hague to get involved or something.

I assume Crazy is not so much talking about the merits of mask usage, but the assertion that Biden can just will power that the Federal Executive does not have.

Reactions: Crazyhole
I assume Crazy is not so much talking about the merits of mask usage, but the assertion that Biden can just will power that the Federal Executive does not have.

Thats debatable. You would have to point to something that says a president can't order even the most basic of requirements for the benefit of public health.

We aren't even talking about a law, we're talking about an executive dictate. Biden wants to unilaterally tell people what they have to wear.

Every president in history has had executive orders, so by your logic they are all dictators.

Thats debatable. You would have to point to something that says a president can't order even the most basic of requirements for the benefit of public health.
Whats the enforcement mechanism? Penalty for non-compliance?
Since it isnt a law, what recourse can a citizen take if they are wrongfully cited or imprisoned?

Well, the Constitution limits his powers to order anything and then the Public Health Safety Act and the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Reauthorization Act of 2013 grant him and the federal government powers and assigns responsibilities. Mainly concentrating on removing bureaucratic red-tape from staffing, funding, and procurement, I don’t think any of these grant the President the power to unilaterally mandate that masks be worn. It would give them the ability to suspend all laws preventing mask wearing in public and to obtain funding to provide masks and argue for their use. But not to mandate they be worn.

Every president in history has had executive orders, so by your logic they are all dictators.
But they still have to fall within the limits of the Constitution and Acts of Congress. EO’s are directives informing the federal government agencies how to proceed with their duties and activities. Such as not enforcing certain laws or granting funding and directing construction of memorials or directing reorganizations. EO’s are not binding fiat for whatever whimsy a President decides to pursue. Thankfully so because I don’t think that you would want a President Trump with omnipotent EO power unfettered by Constitutional limits.

Well, the Constitution limits his powers to order anything and then the Public Health Safety Act and the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Reauthorization Act of 2013 grant him and the federal government powers and assigns responsibilities. Mainly concentrating on removing bureaucratic red-tape from staffing, funding, and procurement, I don’t think any of these grant the President the power to unilaterally mandate that masks be worn. It would give them the ability to suspend all laws preventing mask wearing in public and to obtain funding to provide masks and argue for their use. But not to mandate they be worn.

That isnt how executive orders work. If it was already written into law, he wouldnt need an executive order. If he requires it and you dont feel it is constitutional, then challenge it in court, which happens often with executive orders.

But they still have to fall within the limits of the Constitution and Acts of Congress. EO’s are directives informing the federal government agencies how to proceed with their duties and activities. Such as not enforcing certain laws or granting funding and directing construction of memorials or directing reorganizations. EO’s are not binding fiat for whatever whimsy a President decides to pursue. Thankfully so because I don’t think that you would want a President Trump with omnipotent EO power unfettered by Constitutional limits.

Yes, they can be challenged in court, it happens all the time, so feel free to do that.

That isnt how executive orders work. If it was already written into law, he wouldnt need an executive order. If he requires it and you dont feel it is constitutional, then challenge it in court, which happens often with executive orders.
Shouldn't biden already know that what he suggests is unconstitutional?

The President swears an oath to uphold the Constitution when he takes office. Issuing EOs that the President knows violate the Constitution and daring legal challenges stop him is a violation of that oath and not what we want our President to be doing. It was wrong when Obama did it with DACA, it is wrong if/when Trump does it, it’ll be wrong in the future.

I find it worrisome that you argue for a stronger federal government and for the federal government to be more involved in our lives and then you also argue that the leader of that government should just do whatever they want without any constraint beyond a court challenge. Don’t you see the tremendous risk in those positions?

The President swears an oath to uphold the Constitution when he takes office. Issuing EOs that the President knows violate the Constitution and daring legal challenges stop him is a violation of that oath and not what we want our President to be doing. It was wrong when Obama did it with DACA, it is wrong if/when Trump does it, it’ll be wrong in the future.

I find it worrisome that you argue for a stronger federal government and for the federal government to be more involved in our lives and then you also argue that the leader of that government should just do whatever they want without any constraint beyond a court challenge. Don’t you see the tremendous risk in those positions?

We dont know that it violates the constituation, with all due respect to you and Crazy, neither of you are constitutional lawyers. EO's are challenged all the time in court, some stand up, some dont, some partially stand up. SO to act like Biden is a dictor because of this is just flat out trollish, and both of you know that.

I find it worrisome that you are this concerned over people being required to do the bare mininum to try and slow a virus that has already killed over 100,000 Americans already. IF the government isnt in place to protect Americans, then why do we have a government to begin with? That is an honest question.

Good grief, wearing a mask is common sense. If our President had led by example instead of — bizarrely — making it a political issue, we’d be on the downturn now like every other Western country. Instead, it’s March all over again.

A comparison of virus numbers by country is truly embarrassing and reflects our inept leadership.

We dont know that it violates the constituation, with all due respect to you and Crazy, neither of you are constitutional lawyers. EO's are challenged all the time in court, some stand up, some dont, some partially stand up. SO to act like Biden is a dictor because of this is just flat out trollish, and both of you know that.

I find it worrisome that you are this concerned over people being required to do the bare mininum to try and slow a virus that has already killed over 100,000 Americans already. IF the government isnt in place to protect Americans, then why do we have a government to begin with? That is an honest question.
You want to argue constitutional law points and then, when you show that you have the barest knowledge of how the federal government works and is bound by the Constitution, you try to invalidate other’s opinion by saying they’re not experts. So why are we even having the discussion?

Also, I’m pretty sure that you don’t understand what civil liberties are or why it’s important that our country has a weak federal government.

Its not trollish, it's a conversation that everybody needs to have. How much authority do we want to place in the hands of 1 person? 435 people? 536 people? A

Reactions: sk8knight
You want to argue constitutional law points and then, when you show that you have the barest knowledge of how the federal government works and is bound by the Constitution, you try to invalidate other’s opinion by saying they’re not experts. So why are we even having the discussion?

Also, I’m pretty sure that you don’t understand what civil liberties are or why it’s important that our country has a weak federal government.

Good point, it is a dumb discussion and I dont know what civil liberties are and you are obviously the expert. Forgive me for not knowing my place. Have a good one.

Its not trollish, it's a conversation that everybody needs to have. How much authority do we want to place in the hands of 1 person? 435 people? 536 people? A

Serious question. Should the federal government never be allowed to step in during a health crisis? If ebola breaks out in Nebraska, and starts to spread to other states, the federal government should just sit back and allow it to spread? This is essentially what you are arguing.

Serious question. Should the federal government never be allowed to step in during a health crisis? If ebola breaks out in Nebraska, and starts to spread to other states, the federal government should just sit back and allow it to spread? This is essentially what you are arguing.

A government mandate is only as good as its' ability to enforce it. Let's say Trump just decided it was somehow within his power to mandate that people wear a mask; then what? How are you going to enforce it? Local counties can't even enforce it right now.

Leave it to Crazyhole to create a troll thread about how Biden would treat masks during this pandemic. Goodness gracious, can you believe it??? Joe would actually take this pandemic seriously!!!!!

This whole discussion of what a President can or can't legally do misses the point that should be crystal clear now in this age of Trump. Once upon a time, the Presidency was about being the moral conscience of the country and leading by example.

All you have to do is look at Trump's feckless leadership to know why we're in the mess we're in. Next January's inauguration can't get here soon enough.

A government mandate is only as good as its' ability to enforce it. Let's say Trump just decided it was somehow within his power to mandate that people wear a mask; then what? How are you going to enforce it? Local counties can't even enforce it right now.

I just hope we never do have something even more serious that kills at a higher rate, because this country would just throw its hands up like "what ya gonna do, we have the right to spread a deadly disease if we want".

I just hope we never do have something even more serious that kills at a higher rate, because this country would just throw its hands up like "what ya gonna do, we have the right to spread a deadly disease if we want".

So you agree it's unenforceable then.

The very notion that a sizable group of people would actually behave this recklessly -- because their leader does it -- would seem like some crazy sci-fi story if it wasn't happening right before our eyes.

I just read today that Hong Kong has has 97% compliance in wearing masks (the ones that dont tend to be Americans and Europeans of course), and they have had 7 totals deaths. It really comes down to this. If you dont wear a mask you are a dick, nothing more to it than that.

The job of the federal government is to advise and support the states. If you make it obvious enough to the public with a clear and strong message, the people will follow. This response has been very unclear and the media and social media attacking Trump and presenting experts at every point to do so muddies the message. Trump doesn’t help the cause either with his random bullshit. Neither does Sleepy Joe keeping quiet in the basement. It’s been a Charlie Foxtrot and there are a lot of people to blame for that.

The states are empowered and supported by the federal government. They direct the wearing of masks in their emergency powers. That’s on purpose. Why should Montana with its 500k people spread out across miles and miles have to do the same thing as New York? That’s the point of putting this power in the states. Because we are a diverse nation and one-size-fits-all can be disastrous too.

I just read today that Hong Kong has has 97% compliance in wearing masks (the ones that dont tend to be Americans and Europeans of course), and they have had 7 totals deaths. It really comes down to this. If you dont wear a mask you are a dick, nothing more to it than that.
What if you’ve already had the disease? Are you a dick if you don’t wear a mask?

Reactions: Crazyhole
The states are empowered and supported by the federal government. They direct the wearing of masks in their emergency powers. That’s on purpose. Why should Montana with its 500k people spread out across miles and miles have to do the same thing as New York? That’s the point of putting this power in the states. Because we are a diverse nation and one-size-fits-all can be disastrous too.
We're talking about WEARING A F*KING MASK IN PUBLIC PLACES for crying out loud!!!!

Whether you're in a gas station in Helena, Montana or a Costco in Orlando, Florida, how hard can that be?

The job of the federal government is to advise and support the states. If you make it obvious enough to the public with a clear and strong message, the people will follow. This response has been very unclear and the media and social media attacking Trump and presenting experts at every point to do so muddies the message. Trump doesn’t help the cause either with his random bullshit. Neither does Sleepy Joe keeping quiet in the basement. It’s been a Charlie Foxtrot and there are a lot of people to blame for that.

We are talking about wearking a mask, not cutting an arm off, good lord. And BTW, Montana has had 21 deaths, compared to Hong Kong in a much more populated area who has had 7.

ADVERTISEMENT