ADVERTISEMENT

Big East 2013-2014

The Knightman Cometh

Bronze Knight
Oct 31, 2012
Washington, DC
Forgive my ignorance because I am not a college basketball guy (yet) but with the whole realignment going on in the BE, how will it affect the the basketball teams in the nBE? It will not be a strong basketball conference anymore?

In short yes, the nBE will not be as good in basketball.
The BE is widely considered as the best conference although this year the B1G is the best bball conference followed by the ACC and then the BE. However, the BE has the most prestigious and accomplished teams of the last 30 years. But only hardcore bball fans realize this. The new BE will still have most accomplished teams of any conference. The new ACC will have the most widely known teams.
For UCF and the other new teams to the BE, all this means is we will getting destroyed by the old schools.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by UCFhonors:
In short yes, the nBE will not be as good in basketball.
The BE is widely considered as the best conference although this year the B1G is the best bball conference followed by the ACC and then the BE. However, the BE has the most prestigious and accomplished teams of the last 30 years. But only hardcore bball fans realize this. The new BE will still have most accomplished teams of any conference. The new ACC will have the most widely known teams.
For UCF and the other new teams to the BE, all this means is we will getting destroyed by the old schools.
Gotcha, thanks Honors

I don't agree about us getting destroyed by Big East teams next year. Too far away to predict, but I see us as maybe middle of the conference.
glasses.r191677.gif

If we can keep Donnie for a few years, the new Big East is our opportunity to get known in the hoops world and fill the house for conference games.

I said from the beginning that we should be in the 3rd quintile of the Big East in basketball. Which is good since that puts us on the bubble. UCF has kinda had been there since Donnie Jones. But being in the Big East will give us the benefit of the doubt and the tournament invite.
Now the Catholic schools, there is talk that the Big East will no longer be a "Big 7 Conference." I think that may be the case with only having UCONN and Memphis as top programs. However, the NBE should still be a high major conference which is a step up from our current mid-major status.

This post was edited on 12/17 5:15 PM by UCFhonors

Don't forget about Cinci. UConn, Cinci and Memphis are a very good basis for a basketball conference, even without the C7. UCF and USF have both shown promise (if somewhat inconsistent promise) over the last couple years. Houston has some basketball history. Maybe the new conference can help them get things turned around.

With Cincy, Uconn, and Memphis the NBE will still be a solid conf. No longer elite, but solid. If they do the all sports west, It would likely be even better depending on who is added.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT