ADVERTISEMENT

Big Targets

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
http://www.ucfknights.com/news/2017/7/7/football-preview-wide-receivers-tight-ends.aspx

Cam, Tre'Quan, Franks and Akins give us nice size and experience at the WR/TEs position this season. There's going to be many competing for the slot position along with Snelson binging up the lower ranked receivers in the depth chart. Like the RBs, great depth here. Come on Line and QB, give us the play which will enable this team to light up the scoreboard :)

We can win this division and kick USF to the curb.

http://www.ucfknights.com/news/2017/7/7/football-preview-wide-receivers-tight-ends.aspx

Cam, Tre'Quan, Franks and Akins give us nice size and experience at the WR/TEs position this season. There's going to be many competing for the slot position along with Snelson binging up the lower ranked receivers in the depth chart. Like the RBs, great depth here. Come on Line and QB, give us the play which will enable this team to light up the scoreboard :)

We have very talented WRs and RBs. Big and small. It has to be a major concern to all of the fans, coaches, etc., that if the offense doesn't improve greatly this year then all of this talent will go to waste. In addition if guys like Snelson, etc., don't get enough touches, then they are gone. We MUST have more scoring and more offensive plays. It's a very delicate situation. Basically a snowball effect that starts with the QB and O-line. Frost's new coaching career will depend greatly on progress this year. For this reason alone he will probably have a very short leash with the QB and O-line. He actually has the MOST to lose.
There's no way that he's going to tolerate a 4-6 win season. It basically will seal his fate. G5 coaches don't get calls from P5 schools with big money offers if they have a mediocre record irregardless of the circumstances.

Last edited:
It actually could be worse than that because last year we had a great set of experience defensive backs. This year, opponents could routinely put up 40+ points on us -- like Oregon faced last season!

Our DBs weren't that good last year. They were always out of position.
That was often because they were forced to help out the beaten down, thin line and undersized LBs. Once opponents figured out they could run up the middle repeatedly while our 3-and-out offense gave them no rest, the second half was a bloodbath. We had to rely on one-on-one coverage and blitzes, so of course we got beat on the few times that opponents bothered to pass on us.

It's going to be a great year. Don't be so negative. Damn! Go Knights!!!

Reactions: UCF0509
I'm sure glad the two new QB recruits have been here all summer. Both of them run and throw a lot better than our current QBs.

Year after year I look at the long list of defensive backs and think there has to be two good corners and safeties in this bunch. We have some good ball players in the defensive backfield. Greatest concern really is the OL because if you watch some of the QB play from last year there was some good plays when they were able to pass the ball. Maybe its because its July but I have a good feeling about this season coming up. Also, I'm not saying that Frost wont leave after approx. 4-5 years because of a better offer but the guy is a competitor first and we should stop being so paranoid about money being offered. He will see this thing he's started through and leave us better coaches than GOL wanted to.

Lastly, I read through the archives of UCF football yesterday and just want to say we've been blessed as fans to see a lot of exciting football over the years :)

Year after year I look at the long list of defensive backs and think there has to be two good corners and safeties in this bunch. We have some good ball players in the defensive backfield. Greatest concern really is the OL because if you watch some of the QB play from last year there was some good plays when they were able to pass the ball. Maybe its because its July but I have a good feeling about this season coming up. Also, I'm not saying that Frost wont leave after approx. 4-5 years because of a better offer but the guy is a competitor first and we should stop being so paranoid about money being offered. He will see this thing he's started through and leave us better coaches than GOL wanted to.

Lastly, I read through the archives of UCF football yesterday and just want to say we've been blessed as fans to see a lot of exciting football over the years :)
I fully expect Frost to be here through 2018 at least.

Last edited:
That was often because they were forced to help out the beaten down, thin line and undersized LBs. Once opponents figured out they could run up the middle repeatedly while our 3-and-out offense gave them no rest, the second half was a bloodbath. We had to rely on one-on-one coverage and blitzes, so of course we got beat on the few times that opponents bothered to pass on us.
Combination of both yours and FBs post. I have a good feeling about the defense as the season goes on if we can get by the first few games. The schedule is actually very favorable for our team. I personally would rather beat P5 Maryland and/or GT than Memphis even though it's a conference game.

Here's several possible explanations:
1. Frost is the only one of the new UCF coaches without head coaching experience
2. College football has changed since UCF's GOL days, so G5 schools can't make an impact them way they used to -- the deck is too stacked against us
3. There's nothing to explain: we're right on target this year and next

Our DBs weren't that good last year. They were always out of position.
Agreed. And they weren't that experienced. They had been here a while, but had not been on the field much until 2016. Furthermore, it is not the quantity of experience but the quality of it. Those who had been on the field in 2015 were on the field in an 0-12 season where the DB's were getting torched routinely. That 2015 experience didn't generate a lot of optimism about our pass defense going into 2016. What did help our pass defense more than anything in 2016 was our pass rush, which did a good job in making passers have to move around and/or feel uncomfortable in the pocket.

Thus, I think we are starting a new era with DBs who have a higher floor and better ability to shut down a passing game that what we have seen recently. Also, it is good that we still have that same DLine for one more year!

Reactions: Mikesi

Yes, we have plenty of talent in the DB's. Moore, Grant and Burgess Becker have been excellent additions. Also, I truly feel Zamari Maxwell will be the sleeper freshman who can truly deliver shutdown coverage in year one. Once Nevelle Clark returns in the second half he should add lots of value down the stretch as he is a strong cover guy.

Also, with adding Bacote and Luyanda to the disruptive abilities that Shaquem already provides of the edge, we have even more guys who can get to the QB quickly and reduce the time that he has to throw. This can make all the difference in the world in the performance of DBs. Titus Davis will also be a beast from the OLB.

New inside LB starters Nate Evans and freshman Sterling Jones give us an inside rush threat that promises to be far more disruptive that what we had last year from Rucker and Brim.

All in all, there are multiple reasons that we should be better against the pass this year. I am so looking forward to this. Charge On!

Yes, we have plenty of talent in the DB's. Moore, Grant and Burgess Becker have been excellent additions. Also, I truly feel Zamari Maxwell will be the sleeper freshman who can truly deliver shutdown coverage in year one. Once Nevelle Clark returns in the second half he should add lots of value down the stretch as he is a strong cover guy.

Also, with adding Bacote and Luyanda to the disruptive abilities that Shaquem already provides of the edge, we have even more guys who can get to the QB quickly and reduce the time that he has to throw. This can make all the difference in the world in the performance of DBs. Titus Davis will also be a beast from the OLB.

New inside LB starters Nate Evans and freshman Sterling Jones give us an inside rush threat that promises to be far more disruptive that what we had last year from Rucker and Brim.

All in all, there are multiple reasons that we should be better against the pass this year. I am so looking forward to this. Charge On!
Some things are disputable. One is not: UCF has the least experience defensive backfields in the entire conference. You're right to expect a lot of minutes by true freshmen, more so than any other group on the team. GOL had to twice totally replace his DBs, and was lucky both times with what were career starters. But even then, natural ability can only get frosh so far; DBs will surrender big scores when they aren't playing too far off receivers. Frost has said as much many, many times that it will clearly be our major weakness.

Last edited:
Some things are disputable. One is not: UCF has the least experience defensive backfields in the entire conference. You're right to expect a lot of minutes by true freshmen, more so than any other group on the team. GOL had to twice totally replace his DBs, and was lucky both times with what were career starters. But even then, natural ability can only get frosh so far; opposing QBs will surrender big scores when they aren't playing too far off receivers. Frost has said as much many, many times that it will clearly be our major weakness.

Prof, what you say is totally true. Our DBs are low on experience at this point and experience is helpful/needed to go along with talent. Of course, we all knew that this time would come, where we would struggle to replace 4 DBs at once, given that we went into last season with 4 senior DBs.

However, we should realize that our 2017 DBs don't totally lack experience. We should remember a couple of things about this DB roster:

1. Causey, Neal and Lowry are no strangers to getting on the field. They each were in rotation last year.
2. Causey, Neal and Lowry have as much experience as our 2016 DBs had before last season.
3. Lowry and Burgess Becker are probably the highest rated DBs that UCF has seen in the last decade.
4. Several of the "freshmen" that we are referring to aren't true freshmen. They are sophomores who are called redshirt freshmen, meaning they have a year of experience in our defensive system already.
5. Out of the DBs expected to play this year, only 1 or 2 will be true freshmen, and they will likely be on the field alongside more seasoned DB's in most all situations.

So yes, while gaining further experience will help our DBs, (as it helps anyone), we do have a mixture of playmaking ability and experience that will take the field. Of course, our freshmen DBs will make some mistakes. But they will also benefit from the knowledge and leadership of the upperclassmen.

Reactions: UCFProf
How many of the offenses we face go 5 wide a good bit? Going to need 6 or 7 good DBs in those situations especially if injuries occur.

How many of the offenses we face go 5 wide a good bit? Going to need 6 or 7 good DBs in those situations especially if injuries occur.
Not only is this a passing conference, but it's also no-huddle. And our own short drive offense doesn't give the D much time to rest.

Prof, what you say is totally true. Our DBs are low on experience at this point and experience is helpful/needed to go along with talent. Of course, we all knew that this time would come, where we would struggle to replace 4 DBs at once, given that we went into last season with 4 senior DBs.

However, we should realize that our 2017 DBs don't totally lack experience. We should remember a couple of things about this DB roster:

1. Causey, Neal and Lowry are no strangers to getting on the field. They each were in rotation last year.
2. Causey, Neal and Lowry have as much experience as our 2016 DBs had before last season.
3. Lowry and Burgess Becker are probably the highest rated DBs that UCF has seen in the last decade.
4. Several of the "freshmen" that we are referring to aren't true freshmen. They are sophomores who are called redshirt freshmen, meaning they have a year of experience in our defensive system already.
5. Out of the DBs expected to play this year, only 1 or 2 will be true freshmen, and they will likely be on the field alongside more seasoned DB's in most all situations.

So yes, while gaining further experience will help our DBs, (as it helps anyone), we do have a mixture of playmaking ability and experience that will take the field. Of course, our freshmen DBs will make some mistakes. But they will also benefit from the knowledge and leadership of the upperclassmen.

U must be a glass is half full kind of guy. truth is truth... [WE ARE DOOMED!!]

U must be a glass is half full kind of guy. truth is truth... [WE ARE DOOMED!!]
The glass is 3/4 full, with enough talented DBs and a DLine and LBs that can get after the passer.

What we have not discussed is how good we will defend the run. This is a HUGE part of being successful against the pass. With the DLIne returning, and significant improvement in the size and speed of LBs this year, we will be much better in stopping the run. If teams are forced into obvious passing situations more often, the pass rushers will have a track meet getting to the passer. THIS is huge in defending the pass.

The glass is 3/4 full, with enough talented DBs and a DLine and LBs that can get after the passer.
What we have not discussed is how good we will defend the run. This is a HUGE part of being successful against the pass. With the DLIne returning, and significant improvement in the size and speed of LBs this year, we will be much better in stopping the run. If teams are forced into obvious passing situations more often, the pass rushers will have a track meet getting to the passer. THIS is huge in defending the pass.
I welcome others to give their own ranking. To start things off, here's mine (from best at the top):
1. receivers (once again, our strongest asset even better this year)
2. running backs (improved in experience and new recruits)
3. D Line (much improved in size, depth, experience)
4. Linebackers (bigger but lost three strarters, slightly worse than last year)
5. O Line (improved depth and experience still a liability)
6. QBs (lots of question marks in talent and experience, no experienced senior backups)
note: didn't include special teams which are so unpredictable from year to year

Our D line is going to make the secondary's job a lot easier. We are going to cause havoc up front for most of the teams we face.

Reactions: MckenzieMilton10
Our D line is going to make the secondary's job a lot easier. We are going to cause havoc up front for most of the teams we face.
Agreed. However, opponents may rely on their West Coast offense of short passing ball control. I'm not sure our corners are ready to keep teams from nickle and diming us to death.

Yes, if healthy and properly rested with a good rotation of Defensive lineman, I fully expect Hill and Pittman to be as good as we have ever had and Guarad to be right behind. I don't see team's running on us a lot and dropping back for deep passes. Also, we finally have a front 7 with real college football size.

They WILL try to do the above. Can we handle it?? Only time will tell. Lots can go wrong for the other team that tries to nickel and dime us up the field. Inaccurate passes, tipped passes, drops, and fumbles

Yes, if healthy and properly rested with a good rotation of Defensive lineman, I fully expect Hill and Pittman to be as good as we have ever had and Guarad to be right behind. I don't see team's running on us a lot and dropping back for deep passes. Also, we finally have a front 7 with real college football size.

They WILL try to do the above. Can we handle it?? Only time will tell. Lots can go wrong for the other team that tries to nickel and dime us up the field. Inaccurate passes, tipped passes, drops, and fumbles

Bottomline is that the offense has to improve. The defense can be worse this year and we can win more games if the offense improves.

Could you imagine if we had a BORTLES back there! :)

Could you imagine if we had a BORTLES back there! :)
If his O-Line in Jacksonville is any indication, how its pretty much as bad as ours was last year after injuries, not sure, probably lots of picks lol.

I guess that does go to show how important the O-Line is to a QB's play. Bortles has had 0 line and a slew of great receivers but they cant win and most of his yards/td's come in garbage time against 2nd defense. Hard to be a good QB if youre constantly running for your life after read 1

Should be a noticeable jump in talent level at the skill positions this year compared to the past two years. I'm excited to see how all these weapons give defenses fits. If we get adequate O-line play it's going to be really fun.

Should be a noticeable jump in talent level at the skill positions this year compared to the past two years. I'm excited to see how all these weapons give defenses fits. If we get adequate O-line play it's going to be really fun.
I'm hoping we still have a shot at getting Boudreaux a hardship waiver to allow him to play this season on the Oline. That would be a huge lift.

Reactions: Miltonian
I know they were applying for it. Hadn't heard anything yet.

I'm thinking it could take a few more weeks since he just announced the transfer maybe 3 weeks ago or so. The hardship app was supposedly submitted after that. Not sure how long it it supposed to take for a decision. Hopefully, it could happen before fall camp starts.

If his O-Line in Jacksonville is any indication, how its pretty much as bad as ours was last year after injuries, not sure, probably lots of picks lol.

I guess that does go to show how important the O-Line is to a QB's play. Bortles has had 0 line and a slew of great receivers but they cant win and most of his yards/td's come in garbage time against 2nd defense. Hard to be a good QB if youre constantly running for your life after read 1
HE did have zero line! True

Akins is a big dude. That's Evans to the left and he's 6'5" 290lbs.
Wow! Seriously if Akins doesn't finally get his fair share of touches, it will literally be one of the most wasted talents of any player in UCF history. Moreso than Stanback IMO
His physical ability alone is 100% NFL 1st round talent. The guy is 6'4- 6'5 and at least 245-250 of pure muscle. Bet you he runs a 4.5-4.6 at least.

We definitely have talented players this year at their peak.

Wow! Seriously if Akins doesn't finally get his fair share of touches, it will literally be one of the most wasted talents of any player in UCF history. Moreso than Stanback IMO
His physical ability alone is 100% NFL 1st round talent. The guy is 6'4- 6'5 and at least 245-250 of pure muscle. Bet you he runs a 4.5-4.6 at least.

We definitely have talented players this year at their peak.
I agree 1000%. Let's get him the ball! He's a monster! :)

Would love to see some 2 back , 2 wide sets with Akins Tight, Snelson and Manny wide and any 2 of Cordarrian, Juwan or AK in the backfield. That's a lot of options for any D to shut down.

ADVERTISEMENT