ADVERTISEMENT

Blue apron and other services that send ready to cook meals

Thinking about doing it. Cost 10/person. Has anyone here done it?
I've always loved this idea as I really enjoy cooking, but F*ing hate prep (and cleaning for that matter)...

Girlfriend has a BOGO offer, think we'll pull the trigger this weekend.

Sounds crazy expensive to have to cook your own food. I guess if you're uber rich and don't have time to go to the grocery store then go for it. ..

We did Blue Apron for a couple months, it was worth it. The benefit for us was trying ingredients that weren't in our rotation and finding new things we liked.

Reactions: KnightedIbis
Before kids... Frogerz and I used to pick a unique recipe out of a food magazine to cook once a week. Just doing that for 6 months really expanded my cooking skills and I learned a lot about new foods. So if you and your other like to cook together and don't mind paying the premium to have the prep work done I can see how it could be a lot of fun. Just seems so expensive to me!

Before kids... Frogerz and I used to pick a unique recipe out of a food magazine to cook once a week. Just doing that for 6 months really expanded my cooking skills and I learned a lot about new foods. So if you and your other like to cook together and don't mind paying the premium to have the prep work done I can see how it could be a lot of fun. Just seems so expensive to me!

Guess it depends where you are at. I get pretty simple things from the Whole Foods right near me in Miami and its $30-40 a meal (with maybe one or two extra things I'm buying on the side e.g. bananas)...

Publix is only marginally better.

That price is for me and my three year old boy.

Guess it depends where you are at. I get pretty simple things from the Whole Foods right near me in Miami and its $30-40 a meal (with maybe one or two extra things I'm buying on the side e.g. bananas)...

Publix is only marginally better.

That price is for me and my three year old boy.
What the hell are you buying for dinner?! Even if you buy full price meat/chicken at Publix, I can't see that for a typical dinner for 2. Is whole foods really that much more expensive than Publix? We go to a local meat market for most of our meats, and the only time we get close to $40 for a meal is when we are doing a salmon, or rib-eye meal with fresh veggies, a side, and a salad. This typically feeds the three of us with enough left over for someone to take for lunch. Not quite a typical nightly dinner.

Our typical is probably about $15 for dinner, cooked at home.
$5 for 1 lb of chicken (the not on sale price, our meat market boneless chicken breasts are $2/lb right now)
$5 for veggies (again, assuming full price for asparagus or something)
$5 for the side (just a guess, this probably fluxuates the most)

What the hell are you buying for dinner?! Even if you buy full price meat/chicken at Publix, I can't see that for a typical dinner for 2. Is whole foods really that much more expensive than Publix? We go to a local meat market for most of our meats, and the only time we get close to $40 for a meal is when we are doing a salmon, or rib-eye meal with fresh veggies, a side, and a salad. This typically feeds the three of us with enough left over for someone to take for lunch. Not quite a typical nightly dinner.

Our typical is probably about $15 for dinner, cooked at home.
$5 for 1 lb of chicken (the not on sale price, our meat market boneless chicken breasts are $2/lb right now)
$5 for veggies (again, assuming full price for asparagus or something)
$5 for the side (just a guess, this probably fluxuates the most)

My friend down here calls Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck"...

Chicken (boneless breast) is $9.99/lb - Publix is right there with WFs in my area in this respect. I do fairly convenient cooking options, so it is inflated because of that. The last meal I cooked was three marinated chicken kebobs ($8.99/each), an app of a King Crab Roll $9.99, and a cookie for my son $1.

I should say that there is usually around one meal left over for my son with every thing I cook.

I can get lower in the $20-30 range, like with Turkey burgers ($8.99/lb), buns (I think were like $4) and decent cheese ($8) and something for a side.

Flex Foods in Tally and Jax was similarly priced and worth the money. Some of the other places in town with similar services were spotty though.

Look up online and make sure the Blue Apron in your area has good customer service and response times. Nothing is worse than canceling a week of food, Getting no confirmation email, being assured over the phone its no problem, then having a $150 charge pop up on your account.

My friend down here calls Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck"...

Chicken (boneless breast) is $9.99/lb - Publix is right there with WFs in my area in this respect. I do fairly convenient cooking options, so it is inflated because of that. The last meal I cooked was three marinated chicken kebobs ($8.99/each), an app of a King Crab Roll $9.99, and a cookie for my son $1.

I should say that there is usually around one meal left over for my son with every thing I cook.

I can get lower in the $20-30 range, like with Turkey burgers ($8.99/lb), buns (I think were like $4) and decent cheese ($8) and something for a side.

$10 for a pound of chicken?!? $9 for one kabob?!?! What?? Buy some ingredients and put the kabob together yourself. Those prices are asinine! You would be better off going out to dinner every night. Buy some meat when it's on sale and freeze it! I heard that fresh market has free range chicken for $2.99/lb every Thursday.

My wife talked me into trying HelloFresh for a few weeks. First week was $5/person, but that was the "deal". 2nd week auto charged even though we tried to cancel after first week for $10/person. Some of the recipes were great, some were meh. Like others said helped give us a few new ideas for meals, but in the long run still super expensive to do for long term.

Publix has the "ready to cook' section which I use all of the time. Prices are pretty good. Typically they have 2 huge stuffed peppers for $7, two sausage or chicken kabobs for $8-9, seasoned chicken and fajita veggie mix for $8-9, and often they'll do an almond crusted chicken bake for like $7.

Extremely cheap for how good the food is. You just put the peppers in to bake for 60 minutes in the exact pan it's sold in from Publix.

$10 for a pound of chicken?!? $9 for one kabob?!?! What?? Buy some ingredients and put the kabob together yourself. Those prices are asinine! You would be better off going out to dinner every night. Buy some meat when it's on sale and freeze it! I heard that fresh market has free range chicken for $2.99/lb every Thursday.

Fresh Market is just like whole foods down here, but that's interesting about Thursday deal, I'll look into that. I went to Publix last night and checked prices as I was going. I got chicken for $7.49/lb on sale. My grocery bill was $165 and that was four meals plus fruit, veggies, tuna for my lunch and a few other random household things (can opener and bag clips).

The problem is when my son is with me, I'm just a single Dad doing all of the cooking, cleaning, bathing, bed time stories, playing (if we have time). I get my son from day care around 6pm, go to my store near my house for about an hour, home by 7:10, I have about 20 mins to cook get my son fed, then bath time and hopefully in bed no later than 8:15.

I'd love to order out, and usually do a few times a week, but the prices are inflated there as well $30-45 with delivery (pizza is $30 with tip) and the quality of the meal is usually not as good as what I make (health wise), nor as good. But I do escape the cooking. And in that regards, hooray for crock pots.

Publix has the "ready to cook' section which I use all of the time. Prices are pretty good. Typically they have 2 huge stuffed peppers for $7, two sausage or chicken kabobs for $8-9, seasoned chicken and fajita veggie mix for $8-9, and often they'll do an almond crusted chicken bake for like $7.

Extremely cheap for how good the food is. You just put the peppers in to bake for 60 minutes in the exact pan it's sold in from Publix.

This is probably about 50% of what I cook any given week, just at Whole Foods, because its on the walk home with my son from my store downtown. I pay a premium for convenience and the quality of their food is top notch.

This is how I got hooked on salmon. I had some with a bourbon glaze or something a few years ago. Man that was good.

Fresh Market has $2 Tuesdays with $2.99/lb ground chuck and $2.99 chicken. On Thursdays, they do a family meal deal where you buy all the ingredients for a meal for 4 for about $20. So, shopping there on Tuesdays and Thursdays is a good idea. You can also find veggies, cheese, milk, cream, etc. cheaper than Publix at times if you pay attention to the prices.

Reactions: KnightedIbis
Fresh Market has $2 Tuesdays with $2.99/lb ground chuck and $2.99 chicken. On Thursdays, they do a family meal deal where you buy all the ingredients for a meal for 4 for about $20. So, shopping there on Tuesdays and Thursdays is a good idea. You can also find veggies, cheese, milk, cream, etc. cheaper than Publix at times if you pay attention to the prices.
That's awesome, there is actually one right near my office in Fort Lauderdale I just heard, I like Fresh Market, might be worth planning out my shopping on Tuesday's and Thursdays before I get back into Downtown Miami.

Thanks all.

ADVERTISEMENT