ADVERTISEMENT

Boom up to 69 in recruiting rankings.

I bet someone could start a service that goes back and adjust classes to how they performed on field. I'm betting this years wouldn't be 69th after it's all said and done.

According to 247 composite score, this is the third best class in UCF history behind 2010 and 2017. However this class is more balanced than the 2017 class which without Richardson would have been pretty average in rating.

Reactions: UCFBS
Based on 247 we're behind Cincy, Boise, USF, Toledo, and FIU among G5s. However our average is #2 among G5, behind only Cincy

FIU's class heavily weighted by two 4-star recruits, both are Junior college transfers.

It's good enough for #3 in the AAC and essentially tied USF who is our biggest competition yearly. UConn and ECU again did terrible. Temple did fine. Again Cincinnati has recruited well (#1). They might be a factor this year as well. Memphis came in 7th, which was surprising. Houston was 4th. I'll take it.

Reactions: Mikesi
It's good enough for #3 in the AAC and essentially tied USF who is our biggest competition yearly. UConn and ECU again did terrible. Temple did fine. Again Cincinnati has recruited well (#1). They might be a factor this year as well. Memphis came in 7th, which was surprising. Houston was 4th. I'll take it.
I truly believe we should never be below 1st ranked in the aac recruiting rankings, but now we just have to see if this staff can coach.

Next year we will get a class in the 50s or 60s like always and people will complain, 2 top 10 finishes in 5 years but I don't remember any classes in the top 50. Almost like getting a bunch of 3 star kids with chips on their shoulders may be preferable to a bunch of 4 star primadonnas who hold signing day hat parties and come in resting on their laurels not ready to work.

According to 247 composite score, this is the third best class in UCF history behind 2010 and 2017. However this class is more balanced than the 2017 class which without Richardson would have been pretty average in rating.
That was my view too.

speaking of Richardson I wonder if the coaching staff might try to flip him back from transferring, he's at UCF through the end of the Spring Semester

Agree. 1st or 2nd with Houston. If I were a Cougar fan, I would be calling for their coach’s head.
This. When factoring Program success, location, facilities, campus these 2 Programs should lead the conference in talent every recruiting cycle.

I truly believe we should never be below 1st ranked in the aac recruiting rankings, but now we just have to see if this staff can coach.
As long as we are ranked #1 in record in the conference (as we have been 60% of our time in the AAC) and are playing in NY6 bowls I don’t give a sh*t what the ranking number says. They frequently adjust the rankings to fit their agenda. When our late safety commit Lester got a Tennessee offer they magically bumped up his rating from.80 to .82 the same day. Do you think he got better because Tennessee offered? I take the ratings with a grain of salt. Yeah you can generally get an idea of the trend of a program, but it’s not that important. Put it this way. Cordarrian Richardson was the difference between 1st and 4th in the conference last year.

Reactions: thespiritof1976
We are National Champs and they didn't pick us to even win the AAC this past year. So, pretty much anything the media says is garbage.

Who on this board picked them to win the conference before the season started?

I hope we are not all taking dirt naps before UCF is either Power 5 or there is a complete change in the system where the Program is perceived as 'an equal' and we can see the how high the ceiling can go in recruiting. Anytime momentum starts building in Recruiting circles it gets halted and it keeps going back to being outside the Power 5.

Frosts first class was ranked 71st and 2 years later, national champs. I will be happy if Heupel has similar results.

It looks like our final ranking is 67th on Rivals with 19 comittments. USF was 56th with 26. The Speedy WR from Texas was a great last minute get.

It looks like after the early signing period there are very few remaining recruits left and last minute flips were amongst the P5 schools mostly. We obviously lost a few to Nebraska and Heupel and staff did the best they could

Overall, it’s a good class considering the complete turnover in the coaching staff, but there were no last minute surprises in Heupels back pocket.

I’m expecting much better recruiting classes
moving forward, but I’m glad we addressed the offensive and defensive lines. Wish we could have recruited another LB or 2 and a tight end.

Reactions: FTUKNIGHT74
Good ole DaMarcus Smith, Leilon Washington, Toby Jackson, and Jeremy Davis. Man what a class. If only this year's class could live up*
And look at the 2 * guys from that year. B. Perriman, Rannell Hall, Joey Grant, Cedric Thomson. all turned out to be good players for us. I would venture to say that these ended up being the cream of the crop. Terrance Plummer was a 3 star

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
We finished 70th. I am more worried about the coaching than the talent per say. Huepel needs to prove me wrong. Hoping for the best, but preparing for less. I know we don't want to talk about our Ex, but Freaking Frost killed it They rose 70+ spots after all their decommits at the coaching change.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Remarkable players ( by stars over the last 10 years

2 Star
2007 Jason Pierre-Paul (yes he went on to USF but he was a two star recruit to us)
2009 Quincy McDuffie
2009 Khamal Ishmael
2009 AJ Boye
2010 Clayton Geathers
2011 Rannell Hall

3 Star
2007 Kamar Aiken
2008 Latavious Murray
2010 Jordan Aikens
2010 Jeff Godfry
2010 the McCray Brothers
2010 Blake Bortles
2011 terrance plummer
2013 the Griffin Brothers
2014 Trequan Smith
2016 McKenzie Milton
2016 Adrian Killins

What is missing from this list? No 4 stars. Granted we have only had 12 over that period of time, but not one of them has turned out to be remarkable players. Most of them have been complete busts. I have high hopes for Dredrick Snelson to be our first breakout 4 star.

Remarkable players ( by stars over the last 10 years

2 Star
2007 Jason Pierre-Paul (yes he went on to USF but he was a two star recruit to us)
2009 Quincy McDuffie
2009 Khamal Ishmael
2009 AJ Boye
2010 Clayton Geathers
2011 Rannell Hall

3 Star
2007 Kamar Aiken
2008 Latavious Murray
2010 Jordan Aikens
2010 Jeff Godfry
2010 the McCray Brothers
2010 Blake Bortles
2011 terrance plummer
2013 the Griffin Brothers
2014 Trequan Smith
2016 McKenzie Milton
2016 Adrian Killins

What is missing from this list? No 4 stars. Granted we have only had 12 over that period of time, but not one of them has turned out to be remarkable players. Most of them have been complete busts. I have high hopes for Dredrick Snelson to be our first breakout 4 star.
Of course 2 - 3 stars can make a difference be great players and be drafted high, but If you don't think 4 stars for a good majority of the part don't make a difference then I don't know what to tell you.

We finished 70th. I am more worried about the coaching than the talent per say. Huepel needs to prove me wrong. Hoping for the best, but preparing for less. I know we don't want to talk about our Ex, but Freaking Frost killed it They rose 70+ spots after all their decommits at the coaching change.

Not really a fair assessment. throwing away the P5-G5 argument, Nebraska benefited from not just a head coach , but an entire staff coming from an undefeated, national championship season. An entire staff that had been recruiting together and coordinated for UCF for 2 years and then for NE on UCF's dime for at least a month prior to announcing they were leaving (I suspect even longer than that) . They hit the ground running having all their ducks lined up, everyone's job already established and all their targets locked in. On the other hand we had to start from scratch at the last minute. hire a coach, assemble a staff, sell recruits and find new ones. What UCF did this recruiting class is nothing short of remarkable. throw 13-0 out the door because that is what our ex's had to sell. Not us so much. See my "We are the house that Frost built" thread. We recruited our dire needs and our coaches current strengths. If Huep is able to continue a reasonable amount of success we will bloom again.

Reactions: hardcoreknight
Of course 2 - 3 stars can make a difference be great players and be drafted high, but If you don't think 4 stars for a good majority of the part don't make a difference then I don't know what to tell you.
Tell me where they made a difference for us...ever

4 star at UCF is different than 4 star at Alabama. 4 star at UCF is the top dog and expects to start right away and to play. See Richardson last year. If they don't play they are gone. Hence why many 4 stars at UCF will have little impact. Not as big of a chip on the shoulder to go out and compete for playing time as the 2 and 3 stars have. This isn't the case at top programs that consistently pull in 4 and 5 star recruits. Not saying that a 4 star can't reign it in and be a role player (see Josh Reese), but many times a 4* recruit comes with a 4* ego as well.

Reactions: JAFFX2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT