ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Wimbush 'loves' playing in UCF's offense (interview)

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

Meeting with the media earlier this week, quarterback Brandon Wimbush could help but unleash a big grin when asked about playing in Josh Heupel's offense.

The Notre Dame graduate transfer also heaped praise upon the offensive weapons at his disposal, particularly the running backs which he said possess "super powers." He also sounded off on McKenzie Milton's "We're better than Notre Dame" comments from last season.

We talked to you on that first day. Now that you're more into it and more acclimated to the system, how has your first few weeks been as a UCF quarterback been in spring practice?

"It's been great. Like you said, it's taken me a couple weeks to get acclimated and accustomed to everything. Coming into a new environment, being with new guys. I think spring season has gone pretty well."

Where you have seen the most improvement from day one to now? Are things clicking maybe better than they were the first day?

Just day-by-day experiences. That's the most valuable asset I can have on my side is getting out there day by day and taking reps. D.J. and Dillon both said it best, when you get those reps, I think that's the most valuable thing that a quarterback can have."

What was it about UCF that made you decide to come here?

"I just thought it was a great landing place for me. Any school, I think I said it the first time I was in front of you guys, an opportunity to go compete. I knew I'd have to go into a quarterback room and compete at whatever school it might have been. I'm excited to be down here."

Was there anywhere else that you visited in the process?

"Yeah. Miami-Ohio."

When they reached out to you, how did they pitch?

"Chuck Martin is a Notre Dame connection. He's the head coach up there. That was a good landing spot for me. Chuck Martin is a great guy and has his program doing pretty well right now."

How aware of UCF were you? I'm sure it's in the back of your mind at Notre Dame that you'd think about another school after the bowl game? Were you aware of UCF's season and the injury to McKenzie?

"That was at the front of my mind because of something Mr. Milton said in the media last year. We always had UCF on our mind up at Notre Dame. After the season obviously, I had to scout a little bit and do my homework and my research. I thought with the coaching staff and everybody here, it was a great opportunity for me."

Have you brought that up with McKenzie, the comment that he made?

"Of course. I let my Notre Dame guys know too."

Did they give you a hard time (when you chose UCF)?

"Yeah. A little joking around. I've known McKenzie for a little bit now. We're all good."

How do you think that matchup would have worked out last season?

"I think it would have been a great game. I'm not going to speak on it, but I think it would have been a tough head-to-head matchup."

You got to know McKenzie at the Manning Camp?

"I beat him in pool. He had a couple hard things to say about it. He's been wanting to get me back. Once we get to the pool table again, I'm looking forward to the rematch."

Do you still have communication with your former Notre Dame teammates?

"I was on spring break with those guys. We enjoy each other's company. Those are my brothers for life just as these guys are down here. New family."

McKenzie wants to be a coach after his career is over. What's he been like? I know he's around the meetings and stuff.

"He's in that coaching role right now. Obviously he wants to continue to play. His playing career is long from over. I'm excited for him to get back on the field. As a coach, he's been great. He's been in the meeting room as much as we have been which is saying a lot about a guy who is injured, to get off his feet and into there and do everything extra he's been tasked with. He's been great helping me and moving me along and the rest of the quarterbacks."

Are the quarterbacks supportive of each other? How important is that?

"Not to bring up my past, but we had that culture at Notre Dame that went on with myself and the quarterback room there, Ian (Book). That permeated the entire locker room and had a positive impact on the season. I think having that down here and once you name a starter and having that same support system behind you with the quarterbacks, I think it's an invaluable dynamic for the entire locker room. Not just the quarterbacks."

What's it like working with Coach Heupel and playing in this offense?

"I love it. Coach Heup did it at the highest level. I'm taking his coaching as all the other quarterbacks are. We just want to be as efficient and effective as we can. Do what we have to do. There's not much the quarterback has to do. Don't be the reason the team loses. I think we're in a good place right now."

What's it like working with Heupel compared to Brian Kelly?

"I love both of their styles. Coach Kelly was great for me. He's been doing for 30-plus years. That experience is hard to beat. Coach Heup has had some great history himself. I'm excited."

How do you like this offense and the talent around you?

"I can't speak highly enough about the running backs. I think those guys are some of the most dynamic players I've ever seen. I've had them at Notre Dame and these guys have just a new skill. I said it to (graduate assistant) Mitch (Militello). These guys all have their secret super powers, each of them. They're so shifty. One is power. One has the feet and the eyes, the vision. All five of those guys back there have their own unique skill set. It's pretty special to watch."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.