ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking Down Our Recruiting Class to Past Years

ucf_71127

Five-Star Recruit
Dec 7, 2005
When looking at our class I decided to compare this class to past years. I used the commitment list from ESPN because it differentiates the ratings a little bit more (67-100) than what Rivals does (5.3-6.1?). I will post the rankings of some of the highest rated players in order using the 2013-17 classes. Hope you enjoy!

Name-- position rank---ESPN Top 300 rank--- overall rank-- class
1) Tristan Payton, #11 WR, #95, 83, 2015
2) Kyle Gibson, #10 S, #171, 83, 2014

3) Dredrick Snelson, #20 WR, #165, 82, 2016
4) Tyler Harris, #12 QB-PP, 247, 82, 2014

5) Cordarrian Richardson, #20 RB, #229, 81, 2017
6) Rashard Causey, #22 CB, #247, 81, 2015
7) Chris Williams, #19 S, 81, 2014

8) Seyvon Lowry #35 DE, 80, 2013
9) Jordan Johnson, #24 OG, 80, 2016
10) Cameron Stewart, #40 WR, 80, 2015
11) Emmanuel Green, #46 WR, 80, 2017
12) Marlon Williams, #54 WR, 80, 2017

13) Gabriel Luyanda #4OLB (JC), 79, 2017
14) Bentavious Thompson, #39 RB, 79, 2017
15) Jamiyus Pittman, #41 DT, 79, 2014
16) Aaron Dowdell, #35 OG, 79, 2016
17) Eric Mitchell, #56 DE, 79, 2016

These are all of the players that were rated 79 or higher. Here is a class breakdown of the top 17 players:
2017- 5 of top 17
2016- 4
2015- 3
2014- 4
2013- 1

Our 2017 class looks to be the best class with some very talented players. Hopefully they all show up to campus and stay out of trouble.

Last edited:
This ranking puts UCF's 2017 class at No. 33, ranking the recruits by the number of FBS offers they received. A different way to evaluate things.

http://www.rankbyoffers.com/2017fbteams/
Introduces another form of bias. Sure it measures the breadth of the interest, and more recruiters agreeing should strengthen the case that a prospect will pan out. However, a player who commits early and makes it clear he's locked in for good might discourage offers.

Here is a comparison of the teams in the AAC with their top recruits:

Name-- position rank---ESPN Top 300 rank--- overall rank--school

1) Bryan Jones, #15 DE, #170, 82, Houston

2) Cordarrian Richardson, #20 RB,#229, 81, UCF
3) Obinna Eze, #27 OT, #251, 81, Memphis

4) Nick Robinson, #5 TE, 80, Memphis
5) Emmanuel Green, #46 WR, 80, UCF
6) Leroy Henley, #48 WR, 80, ECU
7) Marlon Williams, #54 WR, 80, UCF
8) Davondre Robinson, #21 S, 80, ECU
9) Kevaughn Dingle, #69 WR, 80, USF

10) Tyree Owens, #4 DT (JC), JC #39, 79, ECU
11) Gabriel Luyanda #4OLB (JC), 79, UCF
12) D.J. Gillins, #3 QB-DT (JC), 79, SMU
13) Bentavious Thompson, #39 RB, 79, UCF
14) Quindon Lewis, #37 ATH, 79, Memphis
15) Alan Ali, #43 OT, 79, SMU
16) Jeremy Singleton, #93 WR, 79, Houston

Those are the top ranked recruits in the AAC for the 2017 recruiting cycle. There are 9 players that are ranked 78, and we have one of them. As far as the top 16 players, this is how we fair:

- One of the top 3 players (33%)
- 3 of the top 9 (33%)
- 5 of the top 16 (31%)

Out of the top 16, these schools received the most high caliber players.
1) UCF 5 players (2, 5, 7, 11, 13)
2) Memphis 3 (3, 4, 14)
2) ECU 3 (6, 8, 10)
4) Houston 2 (1, 16)
4) SMU 2 (12, 15)
6) USF 1 (9)

(zero top recruits)
Cinci, Uconn, Temple, Navy, Tulsa, Tulane

Interesting Facts:
In the AAC, we have the #1 and #2 RB's in the 2017 class
#1 and #3 WR
#1 OLB
#1 CB (Zamari Maxwell)
#1 ILB (Sterling Jones)
#4 QB (Darriel Mack)
#4 DE (Jeremiah Zio)

I really do think this class is the most balanced and talented class weve brought in as a whole.

So would any other G5, losing their top player.

How would the patriots do losing their top player? The Cavs? The Cubs? Clemson. I know those are teams, but look at any recruiting class too.

The point is, you're stating the obvious. Everyone knows what would happen if we lose our top recruit due to qualifying. But it happens and things have happened before. Also, often the best player is not the highest rated.

How would the patriots do losing their top player? The Cavs? The Cubs? Clemson. I know those are teams, but look at any recruiting class too

Lol @ comparing champions to a team that hasn't beat a team with a winning record in 2+ seasons!

Lol @ comparing champions to a team that hasn't beat a team with a winning record in 2+ seasons.

Spoken from the so called fan of a team that doesn't go to their games. In fact no one goes to the heifer games. Go give your mommy her sponge bath.

You still love us don't you? Get off our nuts jackass.

You know you want to be like us, that is why you keep coming back. Lonesome over on the Heifer board.

Reactions: Mikesi
Spoken from the so called fan of a team that doesn't go to their games. In fact no one goes to the heifer games. Go give your mommy her sponge bath.

You still love us don't you? Get off our nuts jackass.

You know you want to be like us, that is why you keep coming back. Lonesome over on the Heifer board.

I just love you and your hilarious banter. It's been a while since I've been over here and I missed you.

I just love you and your hilarious banter. It's been a while since I've been over here and I missed you.

I bet you did poor little Owen. But sorry to dissapoint but i don't swing that way. The head Heifer himself. Did you renew your Heifer season tickets? Oh wait, you don't even go to Heifer games in their rented stadium. Why should you go? No one else does. The Heifers actually won a few games and Tampa doesn'the care. Must be lonely over there on the Heifer board.

I bet you did poor little Owen. But sorry to dissapoint but i don't swing that way. The head Heifer himself. Did you renew your Heifer season tickets? Oh wait, you don't even go to Heifer games in their rented stadium. Why should you go? No one else does. The Heifers actually won a few games and Tampa doesn'the care. Must be lonely over there on the Heifer board.

Can you guys please delete your comments and perhaps personal message each other. I don't think anybody cares about your off topic conversation. Take it somewhere else please.

Can you guys please delete your comments and perhaps personal message each other. I don't think anybody cares about your off topic conversation. Take it somewhere else please.

I'm defending our turf from these heifer trolls. If you don't like what I have to say, you can always set me to ignore.

If there there are trolls, then there HAS to be troll bashing. It's been an unwritten message board rule for years.

Show me a class that isn't balanced. We also fall out of top G5 spot if he fails to qualify.

I mean we have probably the best in both spectrums (stars at the top, and even our worst players are very very good 3 stars, with a few 2 stars sprinkled in). IN years past, we would bring in very top heavy classes, 3 or 4 four stars and a couple good 3 stars, then the bottom half of the class was unranked and kind of sucked.

This year, in contrast, was balanced. We brought in stars, then the rest of the class will easily be starting or playing significant time (most likely the second one) in their freshman and sophomore years. This class wasnt as top heavy as most class, even our worst players were much better than most years.

Missing the more important story. Frost competed well to get his type of players and fill major gaps from last season's squad along with new ones caused by defensive graduations. The top dozen schools vacuum up most all of the 4 and 5 stars.

Reactions: Miltonian
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT