Buckle Up: Gus Malzahn sets the tone for UCF's preseason camp

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
wavh8hcp5pvebyqg9srk

UCF head coach Gus Malzahn had a message for his team at the onset of preseason camp: "Buckle up."

Malzahn, who typically has a pleasant and positive demeanor during press conferences, took on a different tone following Monday's practice. His delivery was a bit more blunt and direct, the substance more candid.

"I told our guys to buckle up," Malzahn said. "This fall camp is going to be a grind. It's going to be very similar to the very first year we were here. We're going to be very demanding on our players. We were today. We just need to keep improving. And once we get in pads, we're going to be physical and we're going to be getting after it and get that hard-nosed edge back to us."

The past couple years, Malzahn has referenced load management and resting veterans to keep them fresh for the season. That doesn't appear to be the plan for this camp.

"Some of those guys, I don't care if they're this and that and the media picks them to this team or that team," Malzahn said. "No, no. It's about getting better. And our coaches, that's our responsibility. So even though we've got experience, those guys need to get better. And now that we've got more competition, I think that helps everybody."

Malzahn was clearly perturbed by last year's overall losing record, bringing it up a couple different times during his remarks. The Knights were the only Big 12 newcomer to reach the postseason, but losing the Gasparilla Bowl to Georgia Tech dropped their final record to 6-7. It was Malzahn's first-ever losing season as a head coach.

"Like I said before, we won six games (and lost seven)," Malzahn said. "That's not good enough. We're going to make sure that we do everything we can as coaches to give these guys the best chance of being successful."

UCF leaned heavily into the transfer portal this offseason. Quarterback KJ Jefferson (Arkansas), a three-year starter in the SEC, was the big prize offensively. And given his experience compared to the rest of the QB room, Jacurri Brown (Miami) could have a leg up for the backup job. Running back Peny Boone (Toledo) and wide receivers Ja'Varrius Johnson (Auburn) and Jacoby Jones (Ohio) provide experienced depth.

Defensively, UCF was in search of playmakers particularly in the back seven. Linebackers Ethan Barr (Vanderbilt) and Deshawn Pace (Cincinnati) and safety Ladarius Tennison (Ole Miss) are among those expected to be primary contributors.

"We've got a lot of new guys coming in," Malzahn said. "They came from different standards, different programs, different expectations. We're going to put the ball down. We're going to flat get after it in our scrimmages. We're going to see who's who and who's ready and who's not."

After acquiescing some offensive responsibility a year ago, Malzahn officially reclaimed it this past offseason. Make no bones about it, he is the offensive coordinator and play caller.

"I think for me, it's just getting back to me," Malzahn said. "I told our team last night, just getting back to my roots of who I am as a coach. The team taking on my personality, not a coordinator's personality or somebody else's personality. And that's really the big thing.

"I told you before, I did self-evaluation. Any time you lay an egg like we did last year, it starts with the darn head coach. And just self-evaluation, get back to doing what I know to do, how I know to do it, and really approach each practice and each game with a chip on my shoulder."

gdv4qujl4nudyzkkmqug

We'll hear from defensive coordinator Ted Roof on Tuesday. Asked about the biggest changes under a Roof defense, Malachi Lawrence said they blitz a lot more now.

Malzahn previously worked with Roof at Auburn where as coordinators the pair won the 2010 National Championship.

"Ted's got his own flavor," Malzahn said. "He's a real aggressive guy, always has been. He did a lot of the pressure things in the spring and carried over today. That's his identity, and he does a good job of mixing things up."

For the time being, UCF will have three practice fields at their disposal. A new field was constructed during the summer, claiming a large portion of the E6 tailgating lot. It's just temporary though until construction begins on the new Hagle Football Gateway.

Following the 2024 season, the field closest to the facility will become a construction zone. That area will eventually give way to the future Taylor A. Gerring Football Center and an adjacent parking lot.

UCF also added a small area of artificial turf. The offensive line used this area for footwork drills, presumably as not to tear up the natural grass surface of the main fields.

helqfxjqgpmggb05tz04

Safety Demari Henderson, who started the final seven games last season, will miss the preseason as he continues to recover from a knee injury, Malzahn confirmed.

"We will have him back this season," Malzahn said. "I can't tell you exactly when that is, but everybody else was out there ready to go, so that's always good. And I don't think we've been able to say that any time we've been here so far."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.