Gold Member
May 31, 2001
Margaritaville, Daytona Beach, Florida

Bulls Prepared For 14th War On I-4 Clash

November 22, 2022

Joey Johnston
Joey JohnstonAthletics Senior Writer

Story Links​

USF (1-10; 0-7 American) vs #25/- UCF (8-3; 5-2 American)

Saturday, Nov. 26 • 7:00 P.M. • Raymond James Stadium (69,457) • Tampa, Fla.

SURFACE: Natural: Bermuda

TV: ESPN2: Taylor Zarzour (PXP), Matt Stinchcomb (Analyst) & Alyssa Lang (sideline)

RADIO: 102.5 FM/102.5 HD 2

AUDIO STREAM: TuneIn - Bulls Unlimited 1

SERIES: UCF leads, 7-6; STREAK: UCF last 5

IN TAMPA: Tied, 3-3

IN ORLANDO: UCF leads, 4-3

LAST YEAR: UCF won, 17-13, in Orlando

AAC GAMES: USF lost last 12

VS RANKED: 11-36, lost last 14; 7-19 at home

USF (PDF) (PDF)GAME NOTES (PDF)

FAN APPRECIATION GAME FEATURES $55K IN PRIZE GIVEAWAYS

With Rivalry Week finally here, the USF Bulls already have the proper perspective for Saturday night's "War On I-4'' game against the UCF Knights at Raymond James Stadium.

"I didn't know much about this rivalry,'' said Bulls' freshman quarterback Byrum Brown, a native of Rolesville, N.C. "I mean, I knew they were a rival. But we had our coach introducing Mike Lofton (offensive lineman transfer from UCF) as being from 'The Team Up The Street.' So, I knew it had to be a big rivalry if he wouldn't even mention the name.''

Bulls' linebacker Dwayne Boyles, preparing for his fifth meeting against UCF, speaks from experience.

"It's Hate Week,'' Boyles said. "There's a lot of hate and a lot of intensity on both sides. And that makes it a great game.''

For the Bulls (1-10, 0-7 AAC), it's an opportunity to end a five-game losing streak at the hands of UCF and tie the rivalry standings at 7-7, while claiming the 4-foot-3, 160-pound War On I-4 trophy … for a while.

With UCF scheduled to join the Big 12 Conference next season, there are no USF-UCF football games scheduled and USF's non-conference slate is full through 2027.

For the suddenly vulnerable Knights (8-3, 5-2), ranked No. 25 in the Associated Press poll, it's a chance to position themselves for a spot in the AAC Championship Game. UCF's opportunity to host that game was halted with last week's bitter 17-14 home defeat against Navy. If the Knights defeat USF, depending on the results of other games and potentially various computer rankings the AAC utilizes to break ties, they could be playing for a conference title.

But if the Knights are beaten by USF, their AAC title hopes are dead.

Even with nothing at stake, USF-UCF is always spirited and passionate. With this season's subplots, the 14th edition of the rivalry could boil over with meaningful play and fan interest.

"We have a chance to win a trophy,'' USF interim head coach Daniel Da Prato said. "None of our kids have had a chance to hold that trophy. So, let's go get it and let's keep it here a while. And we have a chance to keep them from playing for a championship.

"There's a lot that's different about this weekend. Geographically, we've got kids from this area and they have kids from this area. It's about bragging rights and school pride and all the things that make college football such a great sport. I think this week and this rivalry is awesome. I'd love to continue to play those guys, but that's so far out of my control. What we have is Saturday night, 7 p.m., an ESPN2 nationally televised game. Put the ball down and let's play football. We'll be ready. I know they'll be ready as well.''

USF is coming off a 48-42 defeat at Tulsa last Friday in a game that saw temperatures dipping into the 20s. It was the initial college start for Brown, 18, who had a stirring debut (21-for-25, 240 yards, three touchdowns, 21 straight completions, 76 yards rushing and touchdown).

Brown was aided by the work of running back Brian Battie (19 carries for a career-best 169 yards), who became USF's sixth back to achieve the 1,000-yard milestone in a season.

USF's defense will be challenged by a UCF offense that features dual-threat quarterback John Rhys Plumlee, an Ole Miss transfer who is the team's leading passer (2,015 yards) and rusher (708 yards). The Knights have also utilized Mikey Keene, last season's starter, and Da Prato said the Bulls must prepare for both players.

"They also have an excellent defense with speed in the secondary and good play at linebacker,'' Da Prato said. "Overall, a really good, well-coached team. It will be a big challenge for us. But that's why we play this game … for opportunities like these. We've got 16 seniors we're going to recognize and you know they want to go out on the right note.

"We just need to go about our business the right way and minimize the self-inflicted errors. We need to play a good, sound game. It's a rivalry game, it's going to be fun and we will be ready.''

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News