ADVERTISEMENT

Burkett Leaving Program

supposedly it's for family reasons and he might be done with Football. Mario Mathis leaving also.

Going to need the offense to step up to make up for a possible decline with the defense, can't waste all that skill talent

supposedly it's for family reasons and he might be done with Football. Mario Mathis leaving also.

Going to need the offense to step up to make up for a possible decline with the defense, can't waste all that skill talent
The defense will be even stronger this season. The D Line does not lose anyone, and the LBs, while younger, are bigger, more agile and better tacklers. Nate Evans is a beast, Shaquem is Back and Titus Davis, Jasinski and Bacote will all contribute very will. The DBs are not quite as good at tackling as last year's (they are smaller this year), but they will be much better at shutting down the pass, especially the long ball- can't wait to see Burgess Becker in action for us.

The defense will be even stronger this season. The D Line does not lose anyone, and the LBs, while younger, are bigger, more agile and better tacklers. Nate Evans is a beast, Shaquem is Back and Titus Davis, Jasinski and Bacote will all contribute very will. The DBs are not quite as good at tackling as last year's (they are smaller this year), but they will be much better at shutting down the pass, especially the long ball- can't wait to see Burgess Becker in action for us.
Don't forget the new guy, Gabe Layunda.

Maybe these losses will leave us open to having more scholarships to offer? Burkett was supposed to be an amazing player when he was recruited. Never fully panned out as that YET, but some players often shine in the end. I guess we will never know. Must be pretty serious. What's up with Mathis?

I agree. Can't wait to see the defensive line perform healthy. The linebackers were somewhat undersized and the coverage skills of the DBs were way overated.

Yeah i really think Luyanda, Evans and Bacote are going to surprise everyone. Keep in mind on the outside we have Titus Davis, Lezzer and Jasinski too. Shouldnt be too bad at LB, maybe just young mistakes.

Yeah i really think Luyanda, Evans and Bacote are going to surprise everyone. Keep in mind on the outside we have Titus Davis, Lezzer and Jasinski too. Shouldnt be too bad at LB, maybe just young mistakes.
Frost has repeatedly stated that this year, the offense will need to compensate for a weaker defense. Our defensive coordinator is amazing but there's no substitute for experience.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Frost has repeatedly stated that this year, the offense will need to compensate for a weaker defense. Our defensive coordinator is amazing but there's no substitute for experience.
I agree, but on the other hand, Shaq Griffin barely played a down until last year, 0 experience at OLB. Tre-Quan barely had any college experience then comes in sophomore year and lights everyone up. SOMETIMES skill and hard work can make up. Not saying i dont fully agree experience is best, but some of these kids will surprise you.

Reactions: thelandman19
All I saw was that he may be trying to walk on at FSU now, which is really close to his hometown of Thomasville, GA. Maybe just wanted to be closer to home.
If you can't play at UCF, why try to Grad Transfer to a school you definitely won't play for?

Reactions: Mikesi
Some of these kids arent the brightest crayons in the box....i know O'Leary wasnt exactly known for recruiting Rhodes Scholars
GOL was hired to stress graduation and good academic performance, so that's what he delivered every year.

All I saw was that he may be trying to walk on at FSU now, which is really close to his hometown of Thomasville, GA. Maybe just wanted to be closer to home.

If you were planning to go to grad school at FSU anyway, why not?

GOL was hired to stress graduation and good academic performance, so that's what he delivered every year.
But youd be a fool to think its by recruiting mostly smart kids. Yes quite a few are smart, but i was in class with MANY of these kids my freshman and sophomore year (jordan ozerites, the mccrays and a few others) and these kids arent graduating taking Physics. Like every other program, they are graduating with sports management, or communications degrees. A degree is always work, but you get where im going here. I think my cinema survey class had 75% of the football team in it...and that was the easiest class i ever took (took it for that reason, gpa padding)

Because you are preparing for life after football by starting grad school, with an outside chance at playing for FSU.
FSU is pretty thin at OLB too, so if he can prove hes decent enough, he may get a few snaps here and there.

But youd be a fool to think its by recruiting mostly smart kids. Yes quite a few are smart, but i was in class with MANY of these kids my freshman and sophomore year (jordan ozerites, the mccrays and a few others) and these kids arent graduating taking Physics. Like every other program, they are graduating with sports management, or communications degrees. A degree is always work, but you get where im going here. I think my cinema survey class had 75% of the football team in it...and that was the easiest class i ever took (took it for that reason, gpa padding)
I had several in the classes I taught and observed different picture. First off, they are required to attend classes, even though most profs do not have that attendance policy for their students. Second, of course scheduling prevents students from selecting many types of majors, especially those with lots of lab work. However, a majority are here 5 years and are here during summer, so they can enroll for classes then. Remember that UCF is third in the state in 6-year graduation rates, but that's still only 61%; our football players do almost as well (other UCF sports mostly have better rates).

Let us not forget that last year almost the entire defense was new to starting roles and many were new to getting on the field period. The only returning starters were Pittman, Burkett and Shaquill. All others were new as starters. this year, we return all 3 starters on the DLine, and Shaquem starting at LB. So this year we are returning just as many starters as we did last year's defense, which was an awesome D.

To say there is no substitute for experience is cliche'. Yes there is a substitute for experience. It's talent and poise. College football is replete with stories of freshman sensations and upperclassmen who excelled as soon as they got their chance after waiting several years to get on the field.

Let us not forget that last year almost the entire defense was new to starting roles and many were new to getting on the field period. The only returning starters were Pittman, Burkett and Shaquill. All others were new as starters. this year, we return all 3 starters on the DLine, and Shaquem starting at LB. So this year we are returning just as many starters as we did last year's defense, which was an awesome D.

To say there is no substitute for experience is cliche'. Yes there is a substitute for experience. It's talent and poise. College football is replete with stories of freshman sensations and upperclassmen who excelled as soon as they got their chance after waiting several years to get on the field.
I guess the coach must have been wrong.
For a few positions, like running back, defensive end, wide receiver, and (with the new offenses) quarterback, natural athleticism can offset experience there. "You can't teach speed," is another cliche, which like "there's no substitute for experience" which is also true. Cliche's are bad not because they aren't true but because they are so obvious (like "look before you leap"). I think confusing cliches with "conventional wisdom" or "conventional wisdom"

eVNrP.jpg

Frost mentioned this today.

Reactions: Miltonian
Is experience very important and beneficial? Yes.

Can you still win even when you have younger and inexperienced players? Yes

I have no disagreement with statements about the value of experience. It can be extremely beneficial when you can rely on it. I was only saying that the lack of it can be overcome with dedication, cohesiveness, good coaching, high talent in your recruits, maturity of the players, etc.

Is experience very important and beneficial? Yes.

Can you still win even when you have younger and inexperienced players? Yes

I have no disagreement with statements about the value of experience. It can be extremely beneficial when you can rely on it. I was only saying that the lack of it can be overcome with dedication, cohesiveness, good coaching, high talent in your recruits, maturity of the players, etc.
I respect that. But I still have seared in my visual memory of a mostly seniors, experienced Ark St. defense running amok in our backfield during our recent bowl debacle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT