ADVERTISEMENT

C8

UCFBS

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2001
USA
Long breakdown with links to various GM videos.

It's amazing it'll start at under $60K with a DCT and dry sump. The C7 used to charge extra for a slushbox auto, and one had to upgrade to the Z51 package to get the dry sump, making it more expensive than $60K.

The 0-60mph/0-100kph times are also sub-3s, which means it's C7 ZR1 performance in the base model (+Z51) linearly, thanx to the rear-bias. It will be interesting to see the lap times as it's moved from a 50/50% weight balance to a <40%/60%+ rear.

And we're not even talking the "e-Ray(R)" hybrid yet, which is due 2020-2021 as a MY2021-2022. Every time I've talked to Tadge, he's directly said that mid-engine was the only way they could go hybrid, and FIA is pushing them in that direction -- along with DOHC to reduce displacement, even if DOHC takes up more volume than pushrod.

Clearly the C8 has a lot of "headroom left" in that mid-engine compartment for a much taller, DOHC twin-turbo, as well as the space upfront for the electrical. Rumor has it the unveiling was pushed back 6 months just due to the electrical conduits of the hybrid.

looks sexy as hell. i gotta admit im surprised they went mid engine. i didnt think they would actually do that

looks sexy as hell. i gotta admit im surprised they went mid engine. i didnt think they would actually do that
They had to. I was talking to Tadge himself earlier this decade, and more than once.

Hybrid - It was the only way to go hybrid, and while GM was looking towards electric in general, both the ACO and FIA has been pushing for GT -- not just prototype -- to go hybrid for a long time. Porsche is already there with a 911 hybrid, and Ferrari has been talking about a lower-cost 400 series hybrid. GM registered the trademark e-Ray(R), which is the rumored 'Zora' edition, and expect the C8 to loose the storage in the front for batteries. This will also play an interesting role in the 40/60 balance, possibly heading back more to 50/50, but then again, the hybrid makes it 4-wheel.

Speaking of which, the other ACO and FIA 'push' ... DOHC.

DOHC - The C8 has a ridiculous amount of 'headroom' left in that back engine compartment with the 6.2L pushrod, which suggests the engine could be even 50% taller. Ferrari and Porsche have been bitching to both the ACO and FIA for years that Corvette has an unfair advantage with pushrod (OHV) in racing. Even though Corvette has shrunk the pushrod to 5.5L (GT) and 5.0L (Prototype), it's still much smaller (overall volume), flatter (lower center-of-gravity) and more fuel efficient with better low RPM torque.

E.g., even a 6.2L OHV is smaller than a 4.0L DOHC, let alone more torque in naturally aspirated, especially at 6K rpms, in addition to the fuel savings. And sacking Corvette with reduced fuel (it has the least in FIA GT2) and more ballast is no enough.

So don't be surprised when the '20 Corvette GT2 is running with a 4.0L DOHC naturally aspirated, which will still be a reduced displacement without turbos. The 'Zora' e-Ray(R) has been rumored to be 5.5L DOHC twin-turbo with the hybrid, capable of 'boost' of 1,000hp, and that's GM being conservative, of which we now see there is plenty of room for. Which brings us to the next reality ...

With ACO-FIA offering the new 'hypercar' LeMans Prototype (LMP) class in 2020+, it wouldn't be a shocker to see Cadillac take the 'Zora' e-Ray(R) powertrain, possibly even with the C8 chassis (or a modification of it), and mount a prototype shell over it. The new 2020+ prototype class comes from the complaints of Audi now, not just Peugeot and others, as Nissan had basically been 'writing the rules' in prototype (much like Ford in GT, although Ford is now leaving -- long story, they never made the production like the GT car). So if Ferrari and Porsche re-enter prototype, GM might as well, which would please Audi and probably Peugeot as well.

As always, we'll see ...

BTW, what shocks me most is that they have the train-integrated DCT with drysump all in the base model for under $60K. That really makes is 'cheaper' than a C7 with its slushbox, let alone the Z51 package to get the drysump.

The C8 base model will have All-Season Michellin PS tires, and not a summer-only Super Sport (much less Sport Cup). Although still, getting 0.95G lateral is impressive with an all-season tire.
Clearly GM wants to avoid the warranty issues they had with the Camaro SS (and higher trims) and prior C7 Corvette when it came to the PS Super Sport and temperature/storage limitations. It's great that the Super Sport can do 1.1G, but in a base vehicle, it's just going to be an issue every year.

The higher Z models will still have wider tires with likely a summer-only PS Sport Cup that does >>1.2G. It's funny how many anti-American, anti-Corvette commentators are seizing on this, not realizing it's an all-season tire. 0.95G is better than most sports cars costing up to lower 6 figures with summer-only tires.

ADVERTISEMENT