ADVERTISEMENT

California Ends Death Penalty

It's a bit of a worthless PR stunt since no execution had taken place in a decade anyways.

But, I'm actually more and more in favor of ending the practice nation wide. There are now documented cases where we've come to find out that innocent people were either already killed, or were on death row when new DNA evidence freed them.

I'm not comfortable with the death penalty being in place if there's even a chance that we're executing innocent people.

This is great news and hopefully a change that other states follow.

And, before anyone chimes in with "well, your opinion would be different if...", my aunt, who left work a little early to take my older sister to the mall, was abducted, raped, murdered and had her body dumped in an orange grove around Lakeland. Nothing makes me happier than to know that the asshole that did it died while he was in prison (sentenced to life without parole). The death penalty is an easy out for these animals.

Plus, like 85 pointed out, there are far too many stories out there of folks that are vindicated after DNA analysis. I shudder to think how many innocent people have been unjustly killed.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Our government should not have the authority to kill human beings for any reason. Revenge killing solves nothing.

I'm only in favor of the death penalty if the criminal asks for it over life in prison and forgoes their right to appeal. Even then, it shouldn't happen unless there is indisputable evidence that a person actually did commit the crime.

Glad we all agree.

It's quite interesting how sentiment evolves over time. This used to be one of those hot button issues like Marijuana and gay marriage right?

Reactions: EweSeaEff
Jesus man,can you even imagine?? FUK!!

archie-with-justice-shirt-768x1024.jpg

https://www.innocenceproject.org/fingerprint-database-match-establishes-archie-williams-innocence/

No problem with the death penalty for certain crimes;

Kill a cop- you’re dead
Terrorist attack-you’re dead
There were 25 executions last year, 23 the year before and 20 in 2017. With such a small percentage of those convicted to die actually getting put down, it’s more about publicity. Yes people get wrongly convicted but I would guess the vast majority of those falsely convicted were before much of the science used to convict today.

Unreal. I can’t imagine spending 35 years in jail knowing you didn’t commit the crime you were sent to jail for.
One of the things I’ve noticed whenever a story hits about an innocent man being freed after spending half his life in prison is that these guys always have the same skin color. Talk about crazy coincidences!

ADVERTISEMENT