ADVERTISEMENT

Can UCF maintain its success in 2018 without Scott Frost

JAFFX2

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2016
Reactions: Mikesi
No doubt. Scott has a mountain of a task in front of him. UCF is positioned with HCJH to keep the train rolling. I wish the best for both, but JH has the more enviable position, walking into a team full of winners. Once you start winning, it is a bit like a drug. Hard to stop and easy to keep doing.

Reactions: UCFBS
This really should read "Can Scott Frost Maintain his success in 2018 without UCF"? My thoughts anyway...

We need more of you on Soundoff. I’m envious that I didn’t come up with this post. A++++

Reactions: UCFBS
Just looking at 2018 and 2017 recruits and I believe this year's team will be stronger than last years team :) Our defensive co-coordinator this year is better than last years defensive coordinator. Our offensive coordinator Heup is smarter than last years offensive coordinator Frost.

Two major factors this year will be: the breaks of the game that we can't always control such as the refs; and the chemistry of the players (will they truly play for each other or be pointing fingers at one another when things aren't going well?)

I like our chances this year since Frost himself said year 3 was going to be the year. Heup has kept similar atmosphere and playbook so far. The guy answering questions in this interview attached to this article knows nothing about UCF which he admitted and denies all of the problems within the current playoff system that gave UCF the right to declare themselves national champions.

Just looking at 2018 and 2017 recruits and I believe this year's team will be stronger than last years team :) Our defensive co-coordinator this year is better than last years defensive coordinator. Our offensive coordinator Heup is smarter than last years offensive coordinator Frost.

Two major factors this year will be: the breaks of the game that we can't always control such as the refs; and the chemistry of the players (will they truly play for each other or be pointing fingers at one another when things aren't going well?)

I like our chances this year since Frost himself said year 3 was going to be the year. Heup has kept similar atmosphere and playbook so far. The guy answering questions in this interview attached to this article knows nothing about UCF which he admitted and denies all of the problems within the current playoff system that gave UCF the right to declare themselves national champions.

We'll see if Heupel makes those stupid go for it on 4th and short calls like Frost did early in games and doesn't make the first down to give the other team the early momentum.

https://247sports.com/Article/247Sp...Scott-Frosts-success-at-UCF-in-2018-118773832

Scott Frost left UCF to take the vacant coaching job at his alma mater, Nebraska, and the question for the Knights becomes whether they can sustain this level of success without Frost at the helm. The national college football analysts at 247Sports seem to believe they can. UCF comes in at No. 22 in the 247Sports Summer Top 25.

+1 to @JAFFX2 for triggering the Nobraska Cornholes.

Reactions: JAFFX2 and Mikesi

Can we talk about why RS is better than EC? I would prefer the 3-4 that EC ran and I would prefer EC’s theory that it’s better to blitz and create possible turnovers than RS theory of blitzing four and sitting the rest back in coverage. It should be telling that every gator fan was happy to see him go
And anyone who complains about the defense in the second half of last season is blind to the fact the boys were tired after playing 9 straight weeks

Reactions: Wings0fred
I'm not a FB coach but, for us, I like the 3-4 too. I like how dynamic it is in that we have 4 loose guys coming that are less obvious in their direction and intent. 4 loose LBs are harder to account for. It may also fit our team better because we don't have the biggest/strongest guys or depth at DL so we can make use of more smaller guys. I think this gave us a strong edge over teams that are used to a 4-3.

But if RS has built a career on the 4-3 I think it's unreasonable to expect him to start to run a 3-4 instead. I'm sure he's very capable of doing either but if his real expertise and preference is one thing, that's probably what he's best at and therefore it is what our team needs to do.

I am wishing him success either way. Won't defend him if our D doesn't get better. Will start to judge if UConn scores 24 points on us again.

Internally, this is exactly what should be motivating The Team, an opportunity to show the world that they can run the table without Frosty.

I bet some of them believe Frosty got too much credit, especially when he had one foot out the door during Peach Bowl practice and the team was in limbo about who would coach.

What this team had to endure and still come out victorious shows how mentally strong they are.

I've listened to a few radio shows over the past few weeks (even Fox Sports Radio late last night) and additionally have reviewed a few publications and internet sport sites and they all seem to say pretty much very similar things about our team for 2018. To summarize:

1). First and foremost, they believe that the coaching change will give us at least 2 additional losses

2). The loss of our best defensive player in Griffin as well as several key defensive starters will hurt

3). The loss of all of our tight ends and our best receiver in Smith will hurt.

I've seen rankings as high as aboit 15-19 and as low as 30's and maybe even low 40's. Can't remember all of the sites. I think USA Today had us rated pretty low.

The one thing that most "experts" have in common is they have a lack of full knowledge about our team. Most fans on this site have a better understanding and insight about UCF football.

The most important thing to realize is that we have the nations #1 QB returning and in college football that can't be understated.

I'm not a FB coach but, for us, I like the 3-4 too. I like how dynamic it is in that we have 4 loose guys coming that are less obvious in their direction and intent. 4 loose LBs are harder to account for. It may also fit our team better because we don't have the biggest/strongest guys or depth at DL so we can make use of more smaller guys. I think this gave us a strong edge over teams that are used to a 4-3.

But if RS has built a career on the 4-3 I think it's unreasonable to expect him to start to run a 3-4 instead. I'm sure he's very capable of doing either but if his real expertise and preference is one thing, that's probably what he's best at and therefore it is what our team needs to do.

I am wishing him success either way. Won't defend him if our D doesn't get better. Will start to judge if UConn scores 24 points on us again.
I agree. We don't have the DL depth for a 4-3 and Trysten Hill is arguably our best defensive player and he should be the anchor in the middle of a 3-4

Reactions: Knight Strength
Can we talk about why RS is better than EC? I would prefer the 3-4 that EC ran and I would prefer EC’s theory that it’s better to blitz and create possible turnovers than RS theory of blitzing four and sitting the rest back in coverage. It should be telling that every gator fan was happy to see him go
And anyone who complains about the defense in the second half of last season is blind to the fact the boys were tired after playing 9 straight weeks
And they were tired because of the pressure that UCFast puts on them.

Did we really run a 3-4 with Griffin blitzing on every down? He was like a speed rush DE out there in a 4 defensive lineman formation. He just didn't put his hand in the dirt. In theory the 4 lineman formation is supposed to stop the run better than the 3 lineman formation. We drafted 6 DEs this last class. We should be able to get some really good talent out there on the corners and allow the 2 inside DLs to operate better than one DL in the middle.

Granted, when the other team is passing every down the 3-4 gives you more pass defenders but this doesn't have to be your default formation.

I've listened to a few radio shows over the past few weeks (even Fox Sports Radio late last night) and additionally have reviewed a few publications and internet sport sites and they all seem to say pretty much very similar things about our team for 2018. To summarize:

1). First and foremost, they believe that the coaching change will give us at least 2 additional losses

2). The loss of our best defensive player in Griffin as well as several key defensive starters will hurt

3). The loss of all of our tight ends and our best receiver in Smith will hurt.

I've seen rankings as high as aboit 15-19 and as low as 30's and maybe even low 40's. Can't remember all of the sites. I think USA Today had us rated pretty low.

The one thing that most "experts" have in common is they have a lack of full knowledge about our team. Most fans on this site have a better understanding and insight about UCF football.

The most important thing to realize is that we have the nations #1 QB returning and in college football that can't be understated.
Odds are we were gonna loose 1 or 2 this year regardless of a coaching change or not. Long shot to go undefeated again. And yes most fans have a much better handle than the so called experts....

Last edited:
I’m am not too hung up on the 4-3 vs 3-4 concerns. I might be niave but I think we will play more of a hybrid scheme that will be more based on player strengths than conventional formations you typically see. We have a lot of athletes and ballers #UCFierce

If I remember correctly, RS did say (in his spring interview) that we'd be doing both. I think he said it depends on our players and opposing personnel.

Reactions: JAFFX2
We recruited a ton (literally) of big bodies over the past two seasons on the DL side. I'd like to see them all getting some playing time on the field. We're going to need them with our fast offense.

Reactions: ReturnOf and JAFFX2
It's hard for a program like UCF to lose NFL quality players EARLY to the draft like Akins, Smith and Hughes.

Then you add the loss of Griffin, who not only dominated the defense but was also the team's MVP on and OFF the field...those are HUUUUUGE shoes to fill, even if Frost et al stayed behind.

As with any year...I hope UCF can win the AAC East and play in an AAC Champ Game (hopefully host) and win that too...and then let's see what bowl game the team will do to.

UCF has never lost "this much talent EARLY" to the NFL like this past season so while some of the younger guys will hopefully "step up", I am not expecting any of them to match the performance of the above.

UCF has never lost "this much talent EARLY" to the NFL like this past season so while some of the younger guys will hopefully "step up", I am not expecting any of them to match the performance of the above.
It might be apples and oranges, but losing Bortles and Johnson in 2013 was a pretty big blow too.

It might be apples and oranges, but losing Bortles and Johnson in 2013 was a pretty big blow too.

I thing losing Bortles and Johnson after 2013 is a much bigger impact than the players we lost this year. The QB is always the most critical spot on the team. We also did not have the depth or speed at RB we do now.

Our depth at WR and RB will result in zero impact at those positions this year.

The biggest concern is finding a way to disrupt opposing offenses without a player as dynamic as Griffin.

I thing losing Bortles and Johnson after 2013 is a much bigger impact than the players we lost this year. The QB is always the most critical spot on the team. We also did not have the depth or speed at RB we do now.

Our depth at WR and RB will result in zero impact at those positions this year.

The biggest concern is finding a way to disrupt opposing offenses without a player as dynamic as Griffin.
Agree completely I actually think Snelson is better than Smith and with Payton Nixon Davis and Marlon as the next 4, it’s almost impossible to say that you can be worried about the passing game, even with probably a drop off at TE just due to Akins athletiscism and speed for his size. I actually would love to see Marlon play TE. He’s got size and showed last year that he doesn’t mind blocking. Also probably a .1% chance that move happens. Shaq leaving is crushing because of his leadership. The 4-3 change might make his value on the field not as noticeable because his edge rushing position isn’t nearly the same. Also I think SBB is a pretty damn good player. Hughes is the biggest on field impact, it’s nice to have Roberson the Bama transfer eligible now and also Bam and Clarke showed they can play. I think people are overreacting a little to the players UCF lost, Frost left em in the dust, but he still brought in a ton of skill that is staying

I like that we are getting to a point where we can lose key guys and not be decimated the next year, I think it's sign we're progressing as a program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT