ADVERTISEMENT

Can we detail what went wrong in the special teams kicking game

Knight_Classes_begin_7pm

Golden Knight
Oct 6, 2013
against Michigan?

Being in nose bleed at the stadium, I could't summarize the items we need to correct this week in the kicking game.

Thoughts? Details? :)

Michigan wasn't doing anything special, IMO. On punts, Michigan was sending a fake blitzer between the line and the downfield blockers. The 3 blockers in front split outside and let the second rusher behind that fake blitzer through. Same thing both times. On field goals, the line just got swallowed and steeped on.

So, basically, execute your assignments properly and be more aggressive at the line of scrimmage. That's all that has to be fixed.

I also thought our punter should have gone with a quick step a few times to get the punt off.

I don't think that would have mattered, of our three man back wall, two decided to block the same guy twice and both times let #23 Kannell (sp?) with a lane the size of a Buick to run right thru and contest the punt.

Simple blocking screw ups on the punts. The FG was low, but the guy killed it against SC State so I will give him a pass. Lineman did not even look. He just put his arm up and the ball hit it. It did look like it was headed in the right direction however.

1. Blocking.
2. Kicking*.

*Didn't help that our guy was kicking 45-50yd field goals with a trajectory that would've allowed Peter Dinklage to get a hand on the ball.
This!! Haha. I was right there and it was too low. DL Wormly had a good push, but not great enough for a block with a higher trajectory

Last edited:
Simple blocking screw ups on the punts. The FG was low, but the guy killed it against SC State so I will give him a pass. Lineman did not even look. He just put his arm up and the ball hit it. It did look like it was headed in the right direction however.
Honestly, I wouldn't give him a pass.
Got to have consistency in the kicking game if we are going to be a top program. I may be wrong, but didn't he miss a kick against FIU? If so, that was his pass.

Honestly, I wouldn't give him a pass.
Got to have consistency in the kicking game if we are going to be a top program. I may be wrong, but didn't he miss a kick against FIU? If so, that was his pass.

We were never going to win the Michigan game. We were out-maned and out-played, period. I am sure if Frost had his choice he would have been playing the Sister of the Blind last Saturday to get the team more reps and build more confidence. So I give passes out pretty easily on this one.

Reactions: jetsaholic
We were never going to win the Michigan game. We were out-maned and out-played, period. I am sure if Frost had his choice he would have been playing the Sister of the Blind last Saturday to get the team more reps and build more confidence. So I give passes out pretty easily on this one.
Isn't the Sister of the Blind the name of the band that's playing before the game Saturday?

8 seconds in you'll see what I was referring too in regards to the punt. Same EXACT thing happens the second time.

blocked%20punt_zpsjszayl3m.jpg

Blocked field goal is a 1:50. The trajectory was WAY too low to be able to get over the line. Never had a chance

blocked%20kick_zps2jn2ul5y.jpg

Last edited:
there's another ucf board that has done an amazing job with X&Os breakdown after each game

Got a link?

This game was pretty easy to breakdown. Special teams screwed the pooch and our secondary got lit. Run defense was really good and RBs were taking advantage of spaces. O-line pass defense is pitiful but doesn't help our QB is just as pitiful. An average QB makes up for the poor line.

But why would we give "passes" out if we are a solid D-1 team? OK, so next year no passes? Tough team we give out passes?

Reactions: Mikesi
But why would we give "passes" out if we are a solid D-1 team? OK, so next year no passes? Tough team we give out passes?

Who says we are a solid D-1 team? We have more holes than swiss cheese. But we have promise, and you have to build from somewhere. So why sweat the stuff during a game that has no real meaning? See it, work on it, and fix it for when the game really matters like conference games

Reactions: muckdawg24

8 seconds in you'll see what I was referring too in regards to the punt. Same EXACT thing happens the second time.

blocked%20punt_zpsjszayl3m.jpg

Blocked field goal is a 1:50. The trajectory was WAY too low to be able to get over the line. Never had a chance

blocked%20kick_zps2jn2ul5y.jpg
Very impressive. Thanks! You're taking it to suck a high new level, now we are really going to be troll magnets here

What an embarrassment. Put us in such a hole. Michigan was playing on our half of the field for 1- 1 1/2 quarters at least. I never want to see this again at UCF. It all unfolded right in front of me. Ugh!!!!!

What an embarrassment. Put us in such a hole. Michigan was playing on our half of the field for 1- 1 1/2 quarters at least. I never want to see this again at UCF. It all unfolded right in front of me. Ugh!!!!!
Well, it did suck but we have to give Coach some time to build. He inherited GOL's slop pile :)

IT's all GOL's fault!!!! :)

Reactions: jetsaholic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT