ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports ranks AAC head football coaches: Heupel #11 (out of 12)

The hire was viewed mostly as a head scratcher outside the UCF bubble. It used the same playbook as Frost but from a Program that's brand and culture is not as good that Oregon had the last 10+ years.

The hire was viewed mostly as a head scratcher outside the UCF bubble. It used the same playbook as Frost but from a Program that's brand and culture is not as good that Oregon had the last 10+ years.

To be fair, no one we could have hired would have had that brand and culture. Hell, even Oregon doesn’t really have that brand anymore. Frost was the last of it.

I feel bad for Heupel. He may be a decent coach but if we lose more than 2 games this year (or lose both the P5 games), I know our fans, the diehards will turn on him fast and the others will stop showing up.

To be fair, no one we could have hired would have had that brand and culture. Hell, even Oregon doesn’t really have that brand anymore. Frost was the last of it.
yeah Frost and Chins were what was holding the end of the Kelly influence together. They were the best 2 recruiters/motivators on that Helfrich staff. Frost was Kelly's shadow for years, I think that gets a lot of credit for how he developed into a good head coach.

Heup has shown to be a great playcaller but the questions on leadership & recruiting are probably why he's not being projected well so far. I think Strong is pretty overrated, the media loves them some Charlie Strong.

Don't really care about poll but have to admit that Heup fieldmanship :) is in question. I hope he starts better than Frost who was going for it on large percentage of offensive series in 1st year.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
You can’t grade a coach that has never coached a single game. He’s undefeated as far as I’m concerned. The poll is completely moronic

Null and void if Heupel is part of it. The sample size that’s the basis for his evaluation is 000000000000000000000000000

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Heupel is pretty much impossible to grade even after this season. He's inheriting an establish team and his role is essentially not to mess it up, only extreme results (undefeated or no more than 8 wins) will be an indicator. See Charlie Strong 2017. On top of that Randy Shannon is essentially the boss for defense so how the defense does is less on Heupel and more on Shannon.

I feel bad for Heupel. He may be a decent coach but if we lose more than 2 games this year (or lose both the P5 games), I know our fans, the diehards will turn on him fast and the others will stop showing up.
#hegone :fire::fire::fire:

Don't really care about poll but have to admit that Heup fieldmanship :) is in question. I hope he starts better than Frost who was going for it on large percentage of offensive series in 1st year.
Frost isn't that great of a coach in tight games. His ability is in preparation before the game.

You can’t grade a coach that has never coached a single game. He’s undefeated as far as I’m concerned. The poll is completely moronic

Null and void if Heupel is part of it. The sample size that’s the basis for his evaluation is 000000000000000000000000000

Exactly.....11 of 12 based upon what????? Zero logic!!!

Reactions: Mikesi
To the author.....

ShrRSw.png

Reactions: Mikesi
Frost isn't that great of a coach in tight games. His ability is in preparation before the game.
He’s a program builder, motivator, offensive player recruiter, and has continued the innovative Oregon offensive philosophy.

Agreed about his in game coaching ability, but it has improved

Reactions: JAFFX2
Agreed about his in game coaching ability, but it has improved
I frequently forget that, he’s still an incredibly inexperienced Head Coach. If he continues to improve from year to year like he did from year 1 to year 2, he’ll do well for himself.

Fuggin CBS. They bring us shitty sitcoms and horrible sports writers. This guy is the Big Bang Theory of sports writers.

I don't mind if you rank Applewhite and Strong ahead of Hype, they have earned it with winning... chirp...chirp...

But the other coaches? Do people even know those teams play football?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT